OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon interchangeable turrets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deuceswild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon interchangeable turrets
    Posted: March/21/2009 at 19:38
Great forum.  I'm a long time lurker, 1st time poster.   I had a question about the Nikon turrets.   I'm looking at buying a scope for a Remington 300 RUM, and have looked at the Leupold, Zeiss, and Nikon.  During my research, I discovered that the new Monarch line is supposed to have these interchangeable turrets, but it seems as though they are a big secret.  I noticed SWFA has them, but I'm not sure if they are the ones for the Monarch I am looking at (2.5-9X42).

FWW, most of my shots are going to be 400 yards or less; I am just looking to the future.  My price range is about $600, but my wife says I don't have to hit it. Big Grin

I am also unsure how they work; if it is supposed to be like a set of Kenton turrets which will be made by load, rifle, etc. and you just dial in the yardage, or what?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim
Dave Wilson View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2009 at 20:51
i was reading on their site today and the way i took it was the turrets are made for common cartridges/bullet combinations. not individual custom turrets. again, that was the way i understood it.
  if you're looking to get a scope and use the turrets for longer ranges i would suggest Sightron. in the price range you've indicated i feel they are the best value. especially repeatable turrets. i did a box test today with a Big Sky and it passed with flying colors.
deuceswild View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deuceswild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2009 at 01:18
Thanks for the reply.  I looked on their site too, apparently in the wrong place.  I also tried to call, but they were closed.  I figured I could get an answer here. 

Anybody know if the ones that SWFA has will work for the Nikon I mentioned, or have any other information.

Jim
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2009 at 07:12
Originally posted by deuceswild deuceswild wrote:

Anybody know if the ones that SWFA has will work for the Nikon I mentioned, or have any other information.

Jim

Jim, the website says that the turrets are interchangable with all new Monarchs. http://www.thenewmonarch.com/index1.html

Welcome to Optics Talk.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deuceswild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2009 at 08:12
Thanks for the welcome cheaptrick.  I looked on Nikon's website (again) and still couldn't find any information on the turrets.  The way I understand it from Dave Wilson though is the turrets would work with ranges of cartridges, something like the Leupold B&C except they would adjust the reticle where the B&C adjusts by scope power.  This would be as opposed to using turrets from Kenton where the turrets are made for a specific cartridge. 

If this is correct, do you know how the Nikon turrets are set up? I can't tell from the SWFA picture.

I'm also wondering if I shouldn't just buy the Leupold VX-3 CDS SWFA has, and order custom turrets from Leupold.  The only reason I was looking at the Nikon was I actually had the opportunity to compare it to a Leupold VXIII and to my eyes the Nikon produced a much better, clearer, faster sight picture.  I haven't had the chance to compare anything to the new VX-3, but most of what I have read seems to be there isn't much difference in the two at daylight, and neither beats a Zeiss in low light.
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2009 at 10:09
Call them on monday and ask for Brady or Chris Farris-2 and they will give you the low down on this then you wont be confused. And should you change your mind they can help you with something else!  
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deuceswild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2009 at 10:18
I had planned on calling Nikon, but to be honest with you I didn't want to wait.  I've already gotten some good information, and I'll probably do that too.
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2009 at 10:29
dueceswild     I'm sorry I was referring to the people hear at ...SWFA ... hope you understood .
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deuceswild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2009 at 11:18
Gotcha!
skilly1979 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skilly1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 22:33
i never used my turrents i would like to try them out.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic