OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

savage 10FP .308

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigpapa4045 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: savage 10FP .308
    Posted: March/21/2009 at 08:53
i saw a savage 10FP .308 brand new at the local gun shop for 550.00!

how do these rifles preform?

i deff want to stay with a .308

what type of range do these have?

do these have aluminum beddings?  if not what do the replacement cost!!

hope to hear back soon!
-Shaine-
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2009 at 10:20
$550.00 ,   OK deal
 perform,     great
range,what's your limit,
bedding, pillar
replacement, with aluminum bedding block $240.00 Bell @ carlson

Edited by rifle looney - March/21/2009 at 10:21
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2009 at 01:44
i just bought one the other day, still breaking it in. thus far I love it.
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
ogrel72 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ogrel72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2009 at 09:15
Seconding this. I purchased mine back in 2002-2003 and love it! Definetly change out the stock stock ( Big Smile ) though.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2009 at 11:18
Yeah that one the next things I'm going to do is change out the stock & buy SS .
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2009 at 14:18
Just got back from the range today. I was testing loads for my 10FP in .308. Actually I was chronographing different loads and grouping them. It was a shoot off between Win. 748 (2 different loads), IMR 4895, and Varget with the 175gr. SMK in Lake City brass.  I can't give the exact results since I haven't had time to look at the targets and data from the chronograph. It looks like 748 is going to give the best groups with Varget a close second and a little higher velocities.
Anyway, I was happy with all the targets. I was having a lot of problems with mirage and still shooting tight groups.
I have a Bell & Carlson tactical/varment stock with aluminum pillars, and a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50 on the 10FP. I'm happy with my 10FP, but it did take a little work.
Some 10FPs shoot great out of the box, and some need to be broken in. Mine seems to get better the more I shoot it.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2009 at 20:21
how good does that bell & carlson  match up? did u need to fine tune it any? 

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2009 at 13:49
It was a straight drop-in. The barrel channell was a little close on one side of the barrel, but it didn't touch the barrel. After a couple of trips to the range I noticed I got horizontal stringing in my groups as the barrel warmed up. I opened up the barrel channel on the side where it was close. My last trip to the range, I had to shoot alot fast, and the barrel heated up but there was no sign of horizontal stringing in my groups. That's about all I have done to it.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2009 at 18:56
cool. shouldn't be to much work then.

GaCop View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2009 at 06:40
I've used the B&C Duramaxx stock on two Savages I built in 260 Rem and 308.  I glass bedded both with Devcon Steel Putty even though the Duramaxx has pillars.  Both are shooting great now.  The glass bedding eliminated the horizontal stringing I was getting do to the barrel channel touching a bit on the right side when the barrel warmed up.  A better stock is the B&C Medalist but for now, their only available for Savage short actions.
Tom
GaCop View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2009 at 06:44
Forgot to add, it's best to replace the factory recoil lug with a machined one from Sharp Shooter Supply or Brownell's.  The factory lug is a stamping and is no where near flat.
Tom
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic