OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Optics Opinions Wanted

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2009 at 10:43

A lot of 6X scopes out there have about a 17 foot field of view at 100 yards.  Lots of folks, including me, feel that one can, indeed, hunt with a 6X scope and not be handicapped in a short range situation.  In that case, the Meopta 7X56 might be real interesting....because that scope has a 17 foot field of view!!  You'd have to mount it high...and it's no lightweight....but it sure ought to do what a 6X does....and you could probably see in the dark with it!!   It's probably not for everyone.  I would like to someday get a rifle especially so I could put one of those scopes on it.  

Just an idea.....it's not a recommendation.  I just think that it would work if you don't mind a tall scope.  It would have great glass.

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2009 at 13:15
I have experience with Meopta and really liked the glass.  I got rid of an R1 because it had too little eye relief for the heavy-recoil gun it was on.  The Meopta was heavy and seemed well-built.  I didn't ahve it on long enough to thoroughly test it, but I liked the ballistic reticule, I liked the glass, it had some heaft but wasn't too heavy for the task, and it tracked as it should.

I have experience with IOR, fixed and variable.  I currently have a 4X on a 45/70 and love it, very bright, easy to get behind, adjustments are good, and the glass is very crisp and clear.  If you are looking for a compact fixed scope, I'd seriouely consider the 4X hunter, it is worth every penny and more.
My experience with IOR's vartiables is different than some here and my issue is more philosophical than optical - so we'll let it go with the simple statement that they have great glass but sometimes problematic intarnals.

All things considered, my short list would be:

http://www.swfa.com/pc-10175-291-ior-4x32-hunting-rifle-scope.aspx
(cheapest on my list but a great scope.)

http://www.swfa.com/pc-14507-227-trijicon-3-9x40-accu-point-rifle-scope.aspx

http://www.swfa.com/pc-9790-259-zeiss-3-9x40-conquest-rifle-scope.aspx

And, if you are comfortable bumping up the price limit to $900, this is a fantastic scope!

http://www.swfa.com/pc-1505-278-swarovski-3-9x36-american-riflescope.aspx

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
j.chappell View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j.chappell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2009 at 13:25
I actually have a spare Swarovski 3-10x42, a couple VX-II 2-7's, a couple VX-III 2.5-8's. I was really looking for something different and better than the Leupolds that I have on hand.

I was tempted to go with a 4x but just am not too sure. If I do and dont like it, it will just join the others that I dont seem to have a calling for at this time.

J.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2009 at 14:51
You have a Swaro 3-10 with no calling?  Why not mount it?

I am curious to know what you complaint or disliking is for the Swaro, it seems a perfect fit to what you stated in the original post.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2009 at 15:00
In my past experiences hunting with Leupold VX-II(I)'s, their nice but don't shine as well during the low light hunting times. They'll definitely do the job but I'd mount the Swaro and not look back. Thunbs Up

Edited by mike650 - March/22/2009 at 15:09
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2009 at 18:21
Mr. Chappell, no offense, but you seem to be going in circles in your thought process.  If you want a scope that is optically superior to the Leupold, at a price under $1000, then you are basically left with Zeiss Conquest, Kahles, Swarovski AV, Meopta Meostar, and IOR fixed and variable hunting models.  Some of the Sightron SIII and Big Sky models may also qualify, but I can't confirm.

Of those, I'd probably get the Kahles or Conquest, depending on power range and asking price.  If you can find a good enough deal on a Swaro AV, I'd consider it as well, but the other 2 are more in line with your stated budget.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
KC Wade View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KC Wade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2009 at 11:19
I have found that if you call Merkel USA 800-821-3021 instead of some of the retailers that carry Docter Optic products, you receive excellent customer service with Docter Optic products.  I have purchased several Docter products in the past year and found them to be a great value.
KC Wade View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KC Wade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2009 at 11:22
In my opinion, Docter is your best option.  
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2009 at 11:31
I have a Meopta 3000 3-9x right now on a 7mm BAR.  Glass is better than a Bushnell 4200, but not as good as the IOR glass in any of my 3 IOR scopes.  It is a good scope and worth the money in my opinion.  It will give me about 10 minutes more shooting time in the morn and evening vs a 4200 3-9x. 

I originally put it on a 45-70, it shook it up enough to blow black dust all over the glass on the inside and it would not hold a zero after 20 or so rounds.  Plus the eye relief was an issue with that gun.  I called Meopta and they had me send it back and I had a brand new scope in my hands in about a week.  Based on that experience I would not hesitate to recommend them as far as customer service. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic