OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Optics Opinions Wanted

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j.chappell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Optics Opinions Wanted
    Posted: March/20/2009 at 16:26
I am looking to purchase a new scope for a 7x57mm that will be used for hunting all North American game, in their varying habitats, that I will be lucky enough to pursue. I have tried to narrow my choices to a few that I feel will fill my needs as well as lending themselves to the rifle.

The rifle in question will be a custom FN with a 22” barrel and a slim sporter style stock. It will have open sights and I will be utilizing either EAW Claw or Pivot mounts.

These are a few things that I am not looking for in a scope so please do not suggest anything along these lines:

A scope greater than 9x
A scope with an objective larger than 42mm
A scope with an AO
A scope with an illuminated reticle
A scope over $800.00

I have narrowed my choices to the models below. If you have any that you feel will meet my needs and desires please share your ideas with me.

• Leupold FX-3 6x42mm
  • Leupold VX-3 1.75-6x32mm
  • Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36mm
  • IOR Valdad 6x42mm
  • Meopta Artemis 2000 6x42mm
  • Meopta Artemis 2000 1.5-6x42mm
  • Zeiss Conquest 1.8-5.5x38mm
  • Doctor 6x42mm
  • Doctor 1.5-6x42mm

J.

John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2009 at 16:42
Those are all excellent scopes.

To me a trim little 7x57 goes just perfectly with a lightweight scope. I have such a 7x57, made by Serengeti Rifles, and have had several different scopes on it, though right now it has a Leupold VX-II 2-7x. However, I have hunted with a lot (both in North America and Africa) with a straight 4x and never had any problem taking game out to 375 yards, which is as far as I've ever shot at anything with a 7x57. Other people prefer more X's for ranges beyond 250-300 yards, but it worked for me--and the longest shots have been on pronghorn and African springbok, which are a little smaller than pronghorn.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2009 at 17:00
The Meopta, Zeiss and Doctor variable scopes will give you the better glass, but with more scope weight, added size and with more expense. If the added weight and size is not an issue to you, then go with the better glass. 

On the other hand, the two variable Leupolds on your list would more than be able to do the job optically, will weigh less, are more compact, are less money and will look better. For looks, you can`t beat a Leupy.

The fixed 6x`s on your list would also work fine, but for closer ranged timber/brush hunting should that occur, where quick acquisition and aiming might be needed on moving or stationary targets within say a 100 yards, I prefer the lower powered variables with the wider FOVs. You`ll have more flexibility with the variable to better match the magnification to any terrain you happen to be hunting in, which is something to also keep in mind.

List your top priorities and go with the scope that best qualifies.

j.chappell View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j.chappell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2009 at 17:12
I had been kicking around the idea of a fixed 4x as a few of my favorite whitetail rifles wear them or low end variables (1-4’s, 2-7’s). My thinking on the fixed 6x is that it gives me a little more magnification with only a slight loss of field of view.
I currently have a Ruger No.1 RSI in 7x57mm that wears a VX-II 1-4 and I have never felt under scoped but just thought that I may want a little more with the bolt gun as its intended use will be as my primary hunting rifle.
Mr. Barsness, do you see a fixed 6x as a handicap? I have thought long and hard on this and the only place I can see it being an issue with my hunting experience is North Eastern Whitetail drives.
J.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j.chappell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2009 at 17:19

"List your top priorities and go with the scope that best qualifies."

I've tried to do that but the problem is I have not been able to compare all of the models I am considering firsthand. I prefer to handle and item before I order it and I am looking for experience with Doctor, Meopta, and IOR products.

Thanks.

J.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2009 at 17:33
LEU66820 Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope                                                                                            Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Long Range Duplex
  • 1"
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
SWFA: $409.95
More Info...
I would be inclined to put this on it I have been really close to buying one of these in fact there was one that they took the photo of on sample list and when I called to buy it I found out someone else beat me to it by about an hour. The glass and erector assembly are both improved over the previous model.  I really like the additional hold over marks on the reticle also. The 6x42 will have a 7mm exit eye pupil so it will be as bright as one can get. I would love to have one of these or one of the IOR's.  Of the variables the Zeiss would be the one I would pick.  I really dont think you can go wrong with the ones you are considering. Thunbs Up
5214359920 Zeiss 1.8-5.5x38 Conquest Rifle Scope                                                                                   Zeiss 1.8-5.5x38 Conquest Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Z-Plex
  • 1"
  • Etched Glass
  • 2nd Plane
SWFA: $299.95
More Info... Buy Now
This is way under priced for how good it is they must be going to discontinue this model or else zeiss is really trying hard to beat the competition which I havent ever seen them do.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - March/20/2009 at 17:40

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2009 at 18:01
Welcome, J. Chappell!

Given your criteria, I would go with either the VX-3 2.5-8X32 you mention or either the Nikon Monarch 2-8X32, Vortex Viper 2-7X32 or 3-9X40, or Zeiss Conquest 2.5-8X32 or 3-9X40.  I like the power range vs. objective size of the 1.8-5.5X38, but I don't like the fact that scope is way larger than it should be for its power range.

I would probably lean more toward the Monarch 2-8X32 or one of the two Conquests, with the VX-3 2.5-8X32 close behind. 

You won't go wrong with any of your choices, though.

Like you, for the most part, I'm a fan of trim, light, compact scopes on big game rifles.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j.chappell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2009 at 20:06
Thanks for the welcome!

I am really having trouble with this one. I was hoping that someone here would have had some experience with the Meopta, Docter, and IOR lines. I am seriously thinking of going with the IOR 6x42, Docter 6x42 or 1.5-6x42, or the Meopta 6x42 or 1.5-6x42.

I am leaning towards the IOR 6x42 or Docter 1.5-6x42, and the Meopta 1.5-6x42. I know the Leupold is lighter, a bit shorter, a little slicker, and a bit cheaper but this is going to be my last big game rifle (so I am telling myself) and I just thought I'd stick a little better glass on it than Leupold. Not that there is anything wrong with Leupold, I have many and they have never let me down, I just wanted something different and a step above most of what I have. If I don't like it I can always stick a Leupold that I have laying around on it later.

J.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2009 at 20:41
That conquest is sweet.
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2009 at 20:46
Boy doesnt that sound like Kahles - super glass and some good deals on the samplelist but I looked and the bargains are all 50mm.  As long as I'm outside the set parametersDevil
I'm probably the only one but I really am impressed with the Trijicon accupoint scopes illuminated reticle BAC  http://www.swfa.com/images/trijicon/binden.swf
I have very closely looked over an IOR 6x42 tactical and compared it to the Leupold Mark 4 10x M3 tactical and the IOR is very nice so I suspect their 6x42 hunting scope would be a winner.  I have no experience with either of the Docter or the Meopta but I do like the Nikon Monarch Gold 1.5-6x42.
6615 Nikon 1.5-6x42 Monarch Gold 30mm Riflescope                                                                             Nikon 1.5-6x42 Monarch Gold 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • German #4
  • 30mm
SWFA: $599.95
More Info... Buy Now

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - March/20/2009 at 20:47

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2009 at 20:56
The Docter is built in the Zeiss factory,I used my friends rifle which had the 3-12x56 and was impressed by the clarity in low light.He has the 1-6x42 model and said its his favorite scope.I like the Sightron Big Sky but if I had the extra money I would buy the Docter.  
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2009 at 22:19
I have the ZEISS personally and am really happy with it. Alot of good scopes on your list to pick fromm good luck...............
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
Al Nyhus View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Nyhus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2009 at 23:19
    Of the scopes listed, I'd go with the Leupold 6X42, hands down. The f.o.v. issues make it a better choice than the 2.5-8X36 in my experience.

Sounds like a sweet rig.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2009 at 00:04
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Boy doesnt that sound like Kahles - super glass and some good deals on the samplelist but I looked and the bargains are all 50mm.  As long as I'm outside the set parametersDevil
I'm probably the only one but I really am impressed with the Trijicon accupoint scopes illuminated reticle BAC  http://www.swfa.com/images/trijicon/binden.swf

You're not at all alone in that regard.  I would have included the Accupoint 3-9X40 at the top of my list, except for the fact he stated he wouldn't consider any illuminated reticle scope.  Ditto for Kahles; they are excellent scopes in all respects, but I couldn't think of any that met all his criteria.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2009 at 00:14
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

You're not at all alone in that regard.  I would have included the Accupoint 3-9X40 at the top of my list, except for the fact he stated he wouldn't consider any illuminated reticle scope.  Ditto for Kahles; they are excellent scopes in all respects, but I couldn't think of any that met all his criteria.

Trijicon accupoint   Thunbs Up

I really like the new additions to the accupoint line too like 1-4x30 scope and the new green reticle(s).
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2009 at 00:25
Originally posted by j.chappell j.chappell wrote:

I am really having trouble with this one. I was hoping that someone here would have had some experience with the Meopta, Docter, and IOR lines. I am seriously thinking of going with the IOR 6x42, Docter 6x42 or 1.5-6x42, or the Meopta 6x42 or 1.5-6x42.

I am leaning towards the IOR 6x42 or Docter 1.5-6x42, and the Meopta 1.5-6x42. I know the Leupold is lighter, a bit shorter, a little slicker, and a bit cheaper but this is going to be my last big game rifle (so I am telling myself) and I just thought I'd stick a little better glass on it than Leupold.

Keep in mind that the optics of the Zeiss Conquest series are produced by Meopta, so the Conquest is likely to be optically comparable to Meopta.  Unlike Conquest, I have no experience with Meopta to confirm, though.  Overall, I've heard pretty good things about Meopta from a performance standpoint, but mixed reviews on their customer service.  Again, I haven't used one in the field, so I can't comment on their quality either way.  I do have an IOR scope that I've been very pleased with, but it is the 4-14X50 tactical model.  I'm sure the 6X42 IOR is probably excellent as well.  I personally would avoid Docter scopes due to customer service issues.  I'd rather go with more prominent brands of known quality for the same price tag that I know I could get good service on should I need it.

If my choice was limited only to the scopes you listed, I would get either the IOR 6X42 if I was leaning toward a fixed power or the Meopta 1.5-6X42 if a variable was the choice. 
Ted

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2009 at 00:36
j.chappell
In your stated price range, and given all your other criteria (EXCEPT illumination), I would actually go with the Trijicon Accupoint 3-9X40 w/green BAC triangle reticle, without question.  I have this scope, except mine has the amber reticle, and I absolutely love it!  If you haven't seen one of these scopes, they may change your mind about lit reticles, since the Accupoint's illumination system is unique.  Keep in mind that illumination in this scope isn't battery powered, but instead it uses a combination of fiber optics and tritium.  So, if the presence of electronics on the scope is the main objection to illuminated reticles, that's a non-issue with this scope.  Optically, I think they are on par with the Zeiss Conquest.  
Ted

Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2009 at 09:43
My only concern with Meopta, is the rather short eye relief.  If you can live with that, it might be just the ticket for you.
take em!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j.chappell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2009 at 13:17

I thank everyone for all of the helpful info.

There isnt a shop near me that stocks the Trijicon's. I looked at them on line becasue I needed a 1-4 a while back but just couldnt bring myself to order something I havent seen firsthand.

I am leaning to a fixed 6x and more to the Leupold now for a few reasons. I only wish I had all the models of interest at hand for a side by side.

J.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2009 at 02:31
Another choice would be the 4 X 32 Zeiss Conquest. It's trim, has good glass and durable. I had a Meopta Meostar.  The eye relief was short (about 3 inches as I recall) and I did not care for the reticle selections, but optically it was very good.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic