OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Falcon Menace 4-14x44FFP MD16reticle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenDesert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Falcon Menace 4-14x44FFP MD16reticle
    Posted: March/19/2009 at 16:39
I originally started this post on the "varmint" area of the forum.  I had ordered a Nikon "Coyote Special".  Due to delivery issues I decided to cancell the order.  Originally  I had looked around for a FFP scope, but don't have $1500 for a NightForce.....  When I first looked found the Falcon on the net, I read all the reviews I could find, mixed bag, but Falcon seems to have addressed every concern thats come along...  I'm kind of glad the Nikon wasn't in stock.  I found a 4-14x44FFP and ordered it, they are scarce.  It should be here on Friday  or Saturday.

Are there any hints anyone can give me, regarding learning to use a FFP 1/4"moa reticle?  I'd be happy to hear from you.....  Is it hard to learn the distances between hash marks.  Do you spend a lot of time "ranging", figuring out the "wind" etc.
Are there any computer programs that can help?
I love to shoot, I've run through 2.55k-3k rounds a year, pistol and rifle, for better than 35yrs,  just never got involved with a Mil-Dot FFP scope.....

Thanks,
Mike
"Any society that will give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
-Ben Franklin
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2009 at 16:46
An FFP will allow you to use the ranging capabilities at any mag level instead of just at one specific mag level.  Buy a Mil-dot master from SWFA and it has a lot of great shortcuts and formuals built into it for ranging, makes it much easier. 

Thing about ranging with a reticle is you pretty much have to know the exact size of the target you are ranging.  If you don't then you will miss the shot.  You just have to practice a lot and learn the sizes of animals and objects. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2009 at 18:22
Let us know what you think of it when you've had it at the range.
shootureyeout View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootureyeout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2009 at 21:15
Mil-dot ranging can  be a tricky business, particuarly when ranging objects  measured in something other than inches.

For example, let's say you have an unruly neighbor who was born in Quebec.  The guy insists on playing his French/Commie music really loud and you finally have had enough of it and you decide to try out your mildot scope to range his stereo through the window and put a well place bullet through the offending machine.

Your scope reticle is delineated in Mils with MOA clicks.  That's fine, except the commie's stereo was built in a commie factory to THE METRIC(AKA COMMIE) STANDARD.   Now, you're figuring the thing is say 9 inches tall and 21 inches wide, but really it's like 4123 mm long and 648 mm tall.  So you range it in inches, and shoot and instead of hitting the stereo you nail the lava lamp on the shelf above it, and the French dude is still eating Brie and enjoying the music, and all you've managed to do is break a window and a really groovy lamp.

So it's vitally important that you range with a scope that has the same measurements as the thing you're trying to dispatch was made with, or you might as well learn to like French commie music.

See what I mean?
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2009 at 21:33
What you just said make no sense whatsoever.  An object can be measured in mm or inches or cubits or whatever.  It is still the exact same size.  It does no matter what system you are using to measure it with as long as you now the actual size and the formulas to figure out the actual distance.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2009 at 22:34
Shootureyeout,   that is the funniest explanation I have ever heard!Laugh Roll on Floor Laughing
GenDesert View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenDesert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2009 at 22:49
That was clear as mud, but it covered the ground................................

Thanks, but please, be a little more precise.   lol....
"Any society that will give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
-Ben Franklin
Sandhillbilly View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2009 at 16:52

You can go to Falcons website and it will give you the breakdown of there reticle. Google it and you will find there web site. If you want to learn about ranging will mils go to this web site  http://slim.freeznet.perm.ru/shoot/lrsdemo02.swf    It is a sample of ther program and kind of fun to play with.  I have a Falcon Menace and I had to hunt down the info.

Thanks Scott
Untutored courage is useless in the face of educated bullets. Quote George S Patton
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2009 at 19:10
Originally posted by shootureyeout shootureyeout wrote:

Mil-dot ranging can  be a tricky business, particuarly when ranging objects  measured in something other than inches.

For example, let's say you have an unruly neighbor who was born in Quebec.  The guy insists on playing his French/Commie music really loud and you finally have had enough of it and you decide to try out your mildot scope to range his stereo through the window and put a well place bullet through the offending machine.

Your scope reticle is delineated in Mils with MOA clicks.  That's fine, except the commie's stereo was built in a commie factory to THE METRIC(AKA COMMIE) STANDARD.   Now, you're figuring the thing is say 9 inches tall and 21 inches wide, but really it's like 4123 mm long and 648 mm tall.  So you range it in inches, and shoot and instead of hitting the stereo you nail the lava lamp on the shelf above it, and the French dude is still eating Brie and enjoying the music, and all you've managed to do is break a window and a really groovy lamp.

So it's vitally important that you range with a scope that has the same measurements as the thing you're trying to dispatch was made with, or you might as well learn to like French commie music.

See what I mean?

I love this explanation. It makes perfect sense to me. And really makes me laugh.Laugh
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Sandhillbilly View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2009 at 08:46
I use scopes with metric adjustments. I wish sightron would make the SIII in metric. Is there any way a scope can be converted from inches to metric? Custom shops ect.
Untutored courage is useless in the face of educated bullets. Quote George S Patton
GenDesert View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenDesert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2009 at 12:37
The scope got here yesterday, I mounted it yesterday, lol.... 
First Impressions.......
     1.  It's heavy -- it seems to be built for very heavy use.  Just under 2 lbs.

2.  Everything fits well, turns smooth, with sure "clicks" on the turrets.  They seem to be indexed well with the lines matching up....

3. It's a little disconcerting to see the reticle change size as  you turn the power ring. It's fairly small at the lowest power setting (4).  These old eyes  will strain a little t o pick out the hash marks at 4 power.

4. First impression of the glass is ''very" clear and bright", I'm headed for an indoor range this morning, I'll know more then.....

Thanks for the "training program", I've seen it before, but it's welcome....  I'll let you know how things go.
-Ben Franklin
zzzzzzzz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzzzzzzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 20:29
So why doesn't SWFA sell these things? The US sources for these are usually out of stock and even with shipping and tarriffs are more expensive than buying the scope straight from the UK. I wonder if they think it will cut into their super sniper sales. The feature sets are completely different so this doesn't really make sense to me. In my case, i mainly want a falcon because it is the cheapest scope where the mil dot has matching mil turrets. The super sniper doesn't have this, so i don't really want it. It just seems that they could turn these around at a pretty nice profit considering that the UK street price is around 315USD after tarriff.
GenDesert View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenDesert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2009 at 22:07
All I know is that I  had a very hard time finding the scope....  I wish they were easier to get, but I understand that "manufacturing" of the Falcon is ramping up... (I have a sneaking feeling that the price on the scope will go up rather fast, the quality seems to be very good......)   From what I've heard there will be another scope will be released soon with a higher magnification, something like 5-25, I don't remember for sure...  Maybe another distributor, who knows?

I simply could not find another FFP scope that came close to the NightForce, in function, (notice that I didn't say, quality) thats the in's and out's of it....  My son and I lucked out, we both got one at the same time.... I'm not certain about the "warranty", but at that price who cares....lol....

-Ben Franklin
GenDesert View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenDesert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 18:42
I made it to the range today...  Cold and a bit windy....  but I couldn't wait any longer..

The scope was nearly dead on to begin with, closer than any scope i've mounted before... lol...

It was slightly low and about an inch to the right... not bad...   The smallest group was about 1.4".  I'm sure I can get them smaller.  I was shooting 55gr Sierra FMJ BT's loaded with a minumum load of "Varget".  Even at  that I should probably have backed off another 5% or so.  I was using once fired Military brass from Sharach Mfg. (Top Brass), they do a very nice job of taking care of the brass.  I noticed that some of the primers were a little flat...  I'll have to take the Chronograph with me next time....  Too cold this time....

I was still very pleased with the scope.... adjustments were a little stiff, mainly because of t he cold....  No fog, still bright, clear and I'm still getting use to the FFP.  I wasn't able to do any box testing, just a bit to, "you know, cold"...

more later,

-Ben Franklin
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 18:45
Good to hear.  I was just at a precision rifle class this last weekend and a guy was using one.  It performed very well and passed the box test with no problems.  I think it is a pretty good scope from what I saw.

GenDesert View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenDesert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2009 at 17:34
Supertool73,  What part of the country do  you live in?  I'd like to find out about taking a "class" like the "precision rifle class"  your taking.....  How did you hear about it and what kind of people do you run into taking the class.....  Are they expensive....  I've hunted, shot, reloaded, for my entire life.  I have hunded in an area most of my life where the norm is 300+ shooting, both Elk and Mule Deer.  I've never used anything larger than my 270. 

With the exception of a Savage12FLV, in 308win, Choate stock, tach. bolt., accutrigger set at about 9oz(spring shortened), Farrel rings and base(10moa), Leupold 6.5-20x50mm with varmint reticle. The best group is that i've shot is under .15" with 150gr Nosler reloads, but I don't get the chance to shoot like I used to...  That's about as expensive as i can afford right now.  However, I do have a pre64' Win70 that was "Dad's", I'll never shoot it and I think i'll put it up on GunBroker and buy a Savage Target action,(have it  trued), a "very" nice barrel in 6.5x284, McMillian stock, and go from there.... but again, i'd like to have the education to go with it.....

Any thoughts?
-Ben Franklin
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/04/2009 at 20:30
Nice signature.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
omark View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2009 at 08:44

i got a newer improvment of the 4.5x18x56 , so far so good

GenDesert View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenDesert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2009 at 10:05

Omark --  The 4.5-18x56 is a SFP scope,  I didn't need the extra magnification (going from 14 t o 18) or the larger 56mm lens.  What I really wanted was the FFP....

I've had it out 4-5 times now, just on paper.  I haven't been hunting yet....  I'm only able to shoot to 300 yrds.  (our shooting range doesn't go out any farther.)  It does very well,  I do wish the reticlel line were a little thinner at full magnification, it still shoots smaller groups than i can.....  Using the "ranging"   is getting a little easier for me....  I'll get the hang of it.  It still takes paper and pencil along with some cards i made up to get the forumla's down right.  The scope is really great, it's me that's going to take the time to get things down, so that i feel comfortable....
Go luck with the new "Falcon"  -- by the way you didn't say which reticle came with it....

-Ben Franklin
omark View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2009 at 13:03
mine is the  eslr  reticle,  its mounted on a  savage 10 flp in 308 on a choate ultimate varmint stock ,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic