OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Want to Start Reloading

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Want to Start Reloading
    Posted: March/18/2009 at 14:39
I have never reloaded but would like to get into it.  Any suggestions on equipment, powder, brass, etc.

I have a Savage 270, Remington 7mm08, and a LR308 that I would like to work up some good loads for.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2009 at 15:57
I would just start out with a reloading book and one of the kits from RCBS, Hornady, etc.  They have pretty much all you need to get started.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2009 at 16:01
I agree with Supertool read a reloading book before you get into to see what you will be dealing with. Once you do this, start off simple! The last thing you want to do is over complicate things at the beginning. If you have questions their are plenty of people here who will be glad to answer them for you.
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2009 at 16:19
Originally posted by Monster Monster wrote:

Once you do this, start off simple! The last thing you want to do is over complicate things at the beginning. 

BINGO!! Too late for me. I'm in over my head. Keep it simple first, learn what you can, then go to the next step. I researched for about a year or so. By the time it came time to actually load, I had so much stuff in my head, I didn't know what was what.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2009 at 18:53
hahaha plus people on this forum like to give technical details (not that it is a bad thing but may cause confusion with beginners) that are not needed for the beginning reloader.

You have to learn to walk before you run...

Edited by Monster - March/18/2009 at 18:53
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2009 at 19:16
Thanks, is one reloading book better than the others or is it a matter of personal preference?
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2009 at 19:47
Start with  A LYMAN ABC'S of reloading and I think the SPEER manual has easy to read and understand  information with out all the extras, it was my first book and I still use it 15 years later. good luck and if you need any help just come on back...WinkWink
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2009 at 09:01
as far as manuals go they are all pretty good, the lee 2nd ed isnt biased towards any one company's bullets, where as you buy a sierra or nosler or hornady or barnes or speer etc. manual its data was compiled using their bullets, not that it makes a huge difference. i will use data for my sierra bullets out of a hornady or nosler manual.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2009 at 10:06
I would buy a couple reloading DVDs as well.  David Tubb has one called "High Power Rifle Reloading."  While it has a ton of detail, when you get done watching it, you will have seen everything done and have a very good understanding of reloading and all the things he went over.  I learned more watching that video than 7 years of reading manuals and asking questions on forums like this.  It is good stuff and will help you a lot.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
BillyWayne View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyWayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2009 at 10:15
I have read the ABCs, Speer, Nosler, Sierra, Hornady and Lee.  But I learned best by taking my time and doing it one step at a time.  I also had my uncle walk me through when I was younger. 
As for equipment, I learned on my uncle's RCBS.  But he bought me a Lee Anniversary kit and some Lee dies to get me going on my own.  Some people get defensive about their reloading equipment.  Because Lee is inexpensive people think it is junk, even my uncle.  But when I get quarter to dime sized groups using Lee equipment he looks at me funny.  I believe most reloading brands are good.  I know people that use all different brands.  I cannot say anything bad about them.  Dillon, Lee, RCBS, Forster, Hornady, Redding...all good.  Redding make a great body die, Lee makes a great neck die and so on. 
As for powders it depends on cartridge and bullet weight.  I find Varget works great for 308 and 243.  I like Reloader 22 for 140 grain 6.5x55.
Brass...I use Winchester because it is less expensive but I also use Lapua on 6.5x55 (American brass is not correct dimension for the swede) Norma, Remington, Nosler and Starline. 
Having the many choices makes reloading fun.  I like to outdue my last load to see if I can come up with a tighter group using different components.  Got a half inch group using Winchester brass...change to Norma and see it makes a difference. 
Reloading is a fun and rewarding hobby.  Have fun with it and do not be afraid to ask questions.  There are plenty of people here that have a wealth of information to share.
John 11:35
The're taking the hobbits to Isengard!!
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2009 at 11:26

Thanks, here is my plan of action:

Get the ABCs book, read it and then maybe get some DVDs.  This should take me at least three years (got a three year old and another due in May).  Once this is done, I may some slight idea of what I am in for.  I will probably also go see my father-in-law as he reloads for all his rifles.

There is a RCBS starter kit on competitor , is this decent equipment for a novice to start with? 

Thanks for all the help and I will keep you posted on my progress.  For safety reasons, I will probably only reload for the bolt actions until I get a little more confidence in what I am doing, then maybe start in on the LR308.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2009 at 12:08
the rcbs rock chucker kit is excellent.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
BillyWayne View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyWayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2009 at 13:53
Yep.  Rock Chucker is nice.
John 11:35
The're taking the hobbits to Isengard!!
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2009 at 14:25
Who ever edited my post and added "competitor", thanks should have remembered that rule.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2009 at 14:36
word filter bro its automatic
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2009 at 15:06
Cool, can I get one for my brain!
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2009 at 15:12
It's hard to beat the RCBS Rock Chucker, especially for a beginner. Get more than one reloading manual, and don't be affraid to ask questions. Also don't get locked into one brand of equipment, as just about everything is compatable with different brands. Start out with the basics and when you are comfortable with them then you may want try someting new like case trimming. The one piece of equipment you must have is a good and accurate scale. If you get hooked on this hobby, you will wind up with a ton of equipment and knowledge. I call my reloading room the laboritory.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2009 at 15:13
Originally posted by cpwomack cpwomack wrote:

Cool, can I get one for my brain!
If you could I would be richCool.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic