OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for Sportical .308

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chem-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for Sportical .308
    Posted: March/18/2009 at 08:16

I need some input on a scope for a Panther Arms .308 sportical.  I would like something suitable for long range (hopefully the rifle will shoot), and am considering a Nikon Monarch X 4-16 BDC w/SF.  Is this too much scope, not enough, or am I heading in the wrong direction?  Any input would be appreciated.

Breath, Relax, Aim, Stop, Squeeze...
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2009 at 08:47

The rifle will shoot, my LR308 AP4 shoots extremely well out to 300 yards (maximum range capacity).  There are guys on here that are experts at long range shooting and they will want to know a few things:

Will the rifle be used for target shooting or hunting?
What do you consider long range?

The scope you mentioned is relatively long and on a 16" barrel this will make the rifle very front heavy.  I had a Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40 that I mounted on my AP4 to break in the barrel and did not like the way the rilfe handled with the long scope or the way it looked.  I am looking at 1-4 or a 2-8 for to finish out the rifle for mainly hunting purposes. Just my experience.

Depending on your answers to the questions above, there are some guys one here that will send you in the right direction.
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2009 at 09:11
perhaps a Monarch 2-8 or 4200 Elite from Bushnell...Budget is ?
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2009 at 09:45
the nikon certainly isn't too much scope. are you reloading ?? if so whats your load, ar10s can be really accurate -- once you get used to shooting autos. 5 head shots 600 yds, ar10T, 175 gr smk NF 3.5x15..
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2009 at 10:26

Thats what I was thinking at 300 yds its just getting warmed up one should have no problem working out to 600 if one had target knobs to dial in correction.  The wind can be a considerable factor at distance.  I like a 4-16 power scope  and the Monarch is a nice scope with a BDC reticle. Just remember that the BDC only works at the highest power.  If the gun was to be mainly for distances under 300 yds I would put an Aimpoint on it.   I will note that the optimum scope considering size weight handling characteristics toughness and how bright the scope is would be a 6x42.  like this one

LEU66820 Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope                                                                                            Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Long Range Duplex
  • 1"
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
SWFA: $409.95
More Info...

Since the hold over points on a BDC only work at the highest power and the highest power is 6x this makes them useable at a power that can be hand held rather than the top power of a variable.  I still think fixed power scopes will take more abuse than the variables.  If you were going to do a lot of target work I would want a scope with target knobs like the Super Sniper or the Sightron SIII or a true tactical scope.  In any case I wouldn't go higher in power than the one you are considering and truthfully I think you will use it a lot more at the 4x end than the 16x end.   You will be a lot happier in the long run if you get top of the line rings like Badger Ordnance, or La Rue Tactical but these are not cheap.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2009 at 10:41

I wish I could go out past 300 yds, the ranges around here are mostly 100 yrd ranges.  There are some guys on the DPMS forum that have worked out past 600 yards with the 16" barrel with very accurate results.  My only experience with any thing futher than 300 yds is with open sights on a M-16A2 at 500 yards.

The Larue LT-158 is the one they say is designed for the AR10 and I have a few friends who love theirs.  They say it is a very solid mount and much easier to use than rings.
Chem-man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chem-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2009 at 20:48
Probably use it for target shooting, and I'm always up for varmint shooting.   Mostly 100-300 yards, but would like the flexibility to go longer.
You are right about the scope length compared to the barrel length, I compared it to another Nikon Monarch I have on another rifle and it is plenty long.
Chem-man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chem-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2009 at 20:50
Originally posted by martin3175 martin3175 wrote:

perhaps a Monarch 2-8 or 4200 Elite from Bushnell...Budget is ?

Looking to spend $400 to $600.  My wife will have a cow either way, but I know you get what you pay for with scopes.
Chem-man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chem-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2009 at 20:54
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

the nikon certainly isn't too much scope. are you reloading ?? if so whats your load, ar10s can be really accurate -- once you get used to shooting autos. 5 head shots 600 yds, ar10T, 175 gr smk NF 3.5x15..
  I haven't reloaded any .308's yet.  Actually I haven't reloaded any shells to be used in semi-autos.  I reload for all my hunting rifles, but they are 'fire formed' and all bolt actions.  I know I need to get the factory crimp dies for semi-autos....  PS.  Nice shooting!
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2009 at 21:01
I tried to shoot a smiley face, by using the white target as contrast. as the brown ipsc target gets lost in the brown dirt at this range. The tears are from fragments from a steel target set up next to the paper. You won't see much difference with your shorter barrel compared to the longer until around 800 yds. You don't need factory crimp dies for semis,
Chem-man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chem-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2009 at 21:12
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Thats what I was thinking at 300 yds its just getting warmed up one should have no problem working out to 600 if one had target knobs to dial in correction.  The wind can be a considerable factor at distance.  I like a 4-16 power scope  and the Monarch is a nice scope with a BDC reticle. Just remember that the BDC only works at the highest power.  If the gun was to be mainly for distances under 300 yds I would put an Aimpoint on it.   I will note that the optimum scope considering size weight handling characteristics toughness and how bright the scope is would be a 6x42.  like this one

LEU66820 Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope                                                                                            Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Long Range Duplex
  • 1"
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
SWFA: $409.95
More Info...

Since the hold over points on a BDC only work at the highest power and the highest power is 6x this makes them useable at a power that can be hand held rather than the top power of a variable.  I still think fixed power scopes will take more abuse than the variables.  If you were going to do a lot of target work I would want a scope with target knobs like the Super Sniper or the Sightron SIII or a true tactical scope.  In any case I wouldn't go higher in power than the one you are considering and truthfully I think you will use it a lot more at the 4x end than the 16x end.   You will be a lot happier in the long run if you get top of the line rings like Badger Ordnance, or La Rue Tactical but these are not cheap.

I hadn't considered the fixed power.  I have a 3-9 VX-II with the long range duplex and it works great on my .30-06.   The price is in the budget- might  even fly under the radar!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2009 at 20:30
5214359920 Zeiss 1.8-5.5x38 Conquest Rifle Scope                                                                                   Zeiss 1.8-5.5x38 Conquest Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Z-Plex
  • 1"
  • Etched Glass
  • 2nd Plane
SWFA: $299.95
More Info... Buy Now
This is a good deal.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic