OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Update on Kinkaoptics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote argentine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Update on Kinkaoptics
    Posted: April/26/2005 at 13:05

Well, I hitched up the kinkaoptics $150 scope to a Winchester M70 .338winmag with Boss device.  The optics are not as clear at 100 yards as the Burris Eurodiamond, by a long shot.  At higher power settings the fine cross hairs at the center of the intersection of the reticle all but disappear.

I would blame my eyesight but two other comparison scopes were fine.  The smallest group I could shoot at !00 yards was a seven inch group.  But there was not close pattern for the bullets..they were all over the place...either the scope is loose or the scope can't hold the setting.  Will try again soon and report, but as of right now, save your money..

ots03 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ots03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2005 at 21:29

How coud you buy a 150u$ scope !!! your winchester with boss is a tackdriver and needs a REALY GOOD SCOPE !!!!. ( please put this poor scope in your airgun and buy a GOOD ONE).

What is kinkaoptics ( you are saying kalinkaoptics??). What model? Let me know please ...

Mithran View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2005 at 23:32

A Super Sniper 10x42 or SS10x42M for $150 to $200 moe would get you one hell of a scope that will easily handle that .338winmag.

The Super Snipers can compete with scopes that cost three times as much.

The fixed 10x is enough to get out to 1000 yards and has plenty of adjustments.  You could go with the 16x42mm but stay away from th 20x42mm because the twenty will pick up mirage more than the 10x or 16x.

Fight Smarter
Not Harder
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2005 at 01:22

Super Sniper is not suitable for an all-around hunting scope.

ranburr

argentine View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote argentine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2005 at 09:56

I hitched the Kalinkaoptics to the Winchester M70 Boss .338 because 1.)it is the heaviest caliber I own. 2. It had no scope on it 3.) I did not need to take a scope off of anything else to mount it.

I bought the Kalindaoptics because 1.) I got schmoozed by the advertising hype on the website 2.) I figured $150 is not a lot of money to lose to find out for myself if the scope is decent or not 3.) I did not read Opticstalk and find out ahead of time what others had experienced

The Boss was given to me unfired by someone who did not want it.  The best price I could get on auctionarms was $500 and so we decided to keep it and fiddle around with it, maybe get it tuned correctly with the Boss system and possibly scope it with something not too expensive and have it for someone to use if we ever get a hunt which might demand this cartridge.

Now I am trying a new tack.  I will put the Burris Fullfield II that I got for my Rem 700ML on the Boss while the 700ML is getting tefkoted.  I will sight it in and tune it with the Burris and then swap back the Kalinkaoptics for a more scientific comparison.  I have not given up on the Kalindaoptics, although I do resent their marketing it as Russian when it appears it is really Chinese.

ots03 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ots03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2005 at 17:57

Burris FF2 is a decent scope for your gun, good choice.

Best reason to buy a russian scopes is to mount in a east block gun, they are not superior than good american brands ( best of rusian scopes is good price, "east block style" , good iluminated reticles, and they are rugged ////  I dont like the non centered reticle and the offset scopes/mounts) .   

About Kalinkaoptics... They dont know what are they selling.....

Please never believe in the scopes specifications of kalinka optics web page !!!

Some of the biggest lies I read in kalinka web page :

Some scopes are compared with zeiss or hensoldt.......( russian scopes are rugged, but never can be compared with zeiss, hensoldt  ....they are just a bit better than chinese scopes NO MORE THAN THIS..).

Some scopes is anounced like swedish special forces scope ( in other you can read: they are in service in european armies ) LIES: of course the europeans have FAR BETTER scopes than these.

The only scopes used by russian forces are the pso line , and some red dots ( and to be honest.....they are good for a kalashnikov but none offer real sniper cuality ).

Sturman and VPOI are made in China

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2005 at 10:00

Interesteing location for the parallax.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2005 at 11:42

I've had one of these PPO scopes (a different version though).  Coatings delaminated on the ocular lens after lying in the drawer for a couple of years.  Optics were not great to start with anyway (which is why it was in the drawer for the most part).

Ilya

ots03 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ots03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2005 at 18:59

I ve had one PPO 5-15X50 some years ago (without paralax correction) : is a poor cuality scope: the reticle is not centered and is located in the firs plane (bad combination) also the reticle is poorly made (painted in the glass I think ) , the ilumination system  is terrible.....I prefer a u$30 simmons/tasco/bushnell.

Some of the worst optics from russia (for the price) are this PPO and the VOMZ taiga red dot.   

argentine View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote argentine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2005 at 08:39

This is not the scope I bought from Kalinkaoptics but lest you think mine might in any way be superior, let me calm your hopes, the parallax adjustment is in the same place, and most of the criticisms listed above are applicable to the one I bought as well.  While I would never recommend anyone buy one, I am not prepared to chuck it at this point.  Besides, the horrible burnt oil smell of the paint is starting to subside.

I have the .338 BOSS shooting three inch groups at 100 yards with the Burris FF II so now that I have the Boss tuned to the sweet spot I will reinstall the "Klunker" and see if I can stay close to that with it.

Will report findings...

STWSniper View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STWSniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2005 at 15:51
Kalinka Optics sounds like a real crappy scope to me. The only European scopes I would consider are Zeiss, Swarovski, Kahles, Schmidt & Bender and IOR, all the other makes are pretty much trash IMO.
ots03 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ots03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2005 at 16:35

Dont forget meopta, its among the best scopes in the world ( like all the other european scopes).

Something good to say about russian scopes: they are rugged, they can be used at very low temperatures without problem, and the optics are reasonably clear......NEVER FORGET that the russian scopes are (in russia, not in america) VERY CHEAP SCOPES (average 30/60u$, none cost more than 150 u$)....so, for the price are resonably good (far solid and better optics than chinese scopes).....of course never can be compared with the europeans, the americans (made in usa) or even in japan scopes.  

argentine View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote argentine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2005 at 15:03

Let me remind everyone that there is still not uncontrovertible proof that these Kalinka scopes are made in Russia.  They are not marked with country of origin (where are you Customs agents when we need you)

and you may recall that previously ots03 reported that they are in fact Chinese manufactured scopes that are sold in Russia, not Russian scopes.  I would hate to give Russia the bad rap for these scopes when they are in fact from the Peoples Republic of China.

This Kalinka scope is not well made but it has all the bells and whistles that  are impossible to get on a US scope or a German scope for $150.  And the advertising description is very persuasive (go to www.kalinkaoptics.com)  The seller does not represent that it is as good as Kahles, Zeiss, Swaro, etc.

The parallax adjustment is laughable.  But it was only $150!  Would I recommend buying one?  No way.

But I will run it through a few more paces before I give up on it.

ots03 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ots03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2005 at 19:00

PPO are made in russia.

The scopes called " VPOI" are offered by kalinka like russians but are CHINESE without doubt!!  ( another chinese scope easy to find in russia is the sturman....but its not offered by kalinka) .

argentine View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote argentine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2005 at 08:06

This will be my last report on the Kalinka VPOI.  I am keeping it.  I had the damned thing poorly adjusted when I fired the .338 with it the last time.  Since then I reread the downloaded instructions which are as long as War and Peace, and reset a lot of things.  Final report:  consistent 3 inch groups two inches high at 100 meters with a 180 gr ballistic tip Nosler and the minimum load of 4320 as listed for the 200 gr pill in the Lyman book.(they don't list a load for the 180 gr bullet)

Now that it is properly adjusted I am surprised to say that the crosshairs are vivid at full power even with the illumination not engaged.

My shooting buddy who brought his Mod 70 30-06 with a Zeiss Conquest actually preferred the sight picture he got with the kalinka and he shot similar groups to me.

So, yes is smells right out of the box (odor is almost completely dissipated) and some of the finishing touches look a little bargain basement.  But for $150 I got enough scope to keep in on an occasionally used rifle...would I buy another one?  Probaby not.  But I am not regretting buying this one nearly as much as I did at first.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic