OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

No longer Magnum Virgin!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No longer Magnum Virgin!
    Posted: March/14/2009 at 23:17
Got a chance to shoot a 300 WinMag today.  Not sure of the gun, couldn't find any info. on make or model.  It's some type of Mauser.  Very heavy but not a bench gun.  I think Big Squeeze said he puts his off-hand over the scope and pushes down on heavy kickers - this proved to be a good thing to do.  Did not get good groups, but that could have been the ammo. 

Might have to add one of these to my arsenal!
take em!
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2009 at 23:34
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

Got a chance to shoot a 300 WinMag today.  Not sure of the gun, couldn't find any info. on make or model.  It's some type of Mauser.  Very heavy but not a bench gun.  I think Big Squeeze said he puts his off-hand over the scope and pushes down on heavy kickers - this proved to be a good thing to do.  Did not get good groups, but that could have been the ammo. 

Might have to add one of these to my arsenal!

Did you try it both ways, with and without pressure on the scope?  I'm hoping to get my 338 win mag back from the smith next week with a Pachmayr recoil pad installed.  I need for this to work!  LOL.
Magnum Opus View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Opus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2009 at 04:43
Mmmmmmm...much correlation here.

Exceptional laugh.................
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2009 at 10:09

I did not Timber.  It has a Tasco with almost no eye relief on it and didn't want to get kissed!  It's my buddies gun and he bought my Weaver Grand Slam 3.5-10X50 for it and as soon as we get new rings that will fit he 50mm obj. we'll shoot again.  I think he wants to get a Limbsaver recoil pad installed on it as well, so I'll try a couple different techniques. 

He has a cousin that lives outside of Steamboat Springs, CO. and I think we might get a chance to go Elk hunting this fall.  That is what prompted me to shoot the darn thing in the first place - now, I'll glad I did.

take em!
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2009 at 01:15
Thanks.  Appreciate it.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2009 at 01:42
Everyine must own at least one magnum chambering if nothing else just to gt it out of their systemI have a remingtomCustom Shop APR that I aboluely loven it's not bcude it's joy to shoot system. It's bcause it shoots so damn well with almost everythinhg I fee it. I has a wonderful lainate stock that fit ne like glave and I had it built with a sporter weight 40x barrel and trigger. It's probably one of the most accurate rifkes I ow henc the love It's no lightweight so it does a goo job og tamming recoil. I all honestly I haven't fould a load that woul shoot sub moa grouts, s in th end it's not for sale, I bouth this fifle back in the mid nighties and th cost to reporduce it today with the current CS prices wouls probably close to the 4G mark wth th4 40x barrel option, stainless action, 40x triggrer and their teflon barreled action treatment, which turned out leaa than stiafactory as I had to have it done corectly by walter Birdsong. As, Stated, it's n lot for dale.
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2009 at 02:06
I dream about an APR in 300 Weatherby!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2009 at 09:18
http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=15812
BEWARE - belted magnums especially the custom made ones with match chambers they only shoot virgin brass.

I recomend a stainless Ruger in your choice of magnum caliber.
(side note:  30-06 will kill anything a 300 WM or 7mm mag will kill and the ammo is a lot more available and less costly.)  

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2009 at 09:20
ive got 4 magnums in my collection i love em.

(side note:  30-06 will kill anything a 300 WM or 7mm mag will kill and the ammo is a lot more available and less costly.)
yes, but the magnums will kill whatever you shoot extra dead!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2009 at 18:37
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=15812
BEWARE - belted magnums especially the custom made ones with match chambers they only shoot virgin brass.

I recomend a stainless Ruger in your choice of magnum caliber.

Came to this same conclusion years ago after always wanting and dreaming of a 300 win mag finally got a custom one done. Realy nice, built on an FN action, all the bells and whistles after shooting and owning for more than three years I never killed anything with it. sold it for more than I paid and built a T/C 25 cal. dont miss the 300 one iota!... 06 is good to go!
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2009 at 18:50
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

Everyine must own at least one magnum chambering if nothing else just to gt it out of their systemI have a remingtomCustom Shop APR that I aboluely loven it's not bcude it's joy to shoot system. It's bcause it shoots so damn well with almost everythinhg I fee it. I has a wonderful lainate stock that fit ne like glave and I had it built with a sporter weight 40x barrel and trigger. It's probably one of the most accurate rifkes I ow henc the love It's no lightweight so it does a goo job og tamming recoil. I all honestly I haven't fould a load that woul shoot sub moa grouts, s in th end it's not for sale, I bouth this fifle back in the mid nighties and th cost to reporduce it today with the current CS prices wouls probably close to the 4G mark wth th4 40x barrel option, stainless action, 40x triggrer and their teflon barreled action treatment, which turned out leaa than stiafactory as I had to have it done corectly by walter Birdsong. As, Stated, it's n lot for dale.

Sweet rifle!! My brother has the APR (Africa Plains Rifle) in 300RUM.

Roy, I may have missed it but what APR caliber do you have?
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2009 at 20:58
Tell us about those APR's!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic