OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New CQB optic - would you buy it?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New CQB optic - would you buy it?
    Posted: April/25/2005 at 20:29

A certain manufacturer of nice quality, inexpensive scopes is trying to find out if there would be enough interest in a CQB style optic to warrant manufacture. Here are the details:

Made in Japan, with HIGH quality Japanese lenses.

1-4x, with 20mm objective. CQB style reticle that is ranging as well (very cool). Lit reticle, of course.

Price point around $300 or less.

Eye relief 3.75"-4.0"

Here are some pics of about what it will look like, and the CQB reticle as well. The manufacturer is trying to decide whether to take the dot to 1 MOA.

What are your thoughts? Would you buy this optic?

Mithran View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2005 at 22:07
I'll stick with the EoTech or Trijicon reflex maybe the Aimpoint for CQB.  I don't know how they'd compete because the optics I listed are already the best you can buy for a CQB optic.
Fight Smarter
Not Harder
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2005 at 22:36

Tell Rich no on this one.  A CQB optic has to be top of the line quality.  Not just good for the money.  I am guessing that we are talking about Mueller here.

ranburr

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2005 at 01:23
I would suggest that the scope maker should take a good look at a russian optic called PK-AS.  It has a 1MOA non-illuminated dot and a 1.5MOA illuminated.  I have a PK-AS and like it quite a bit.  If it was a variable with a 4x top end, I would like it even more (PK-AS is 1x).  Like with anything, if quality is good, I think this scope will have no problem finding a market for itself.

Ilya
Jess Curious View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jess Curious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2005 at 02:09

Eotechs are going for under $300

I don't see any real advantage to this new sight for that price

greywolf View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2005 at 05:14
Originally posted by Jess Curious Jess Curious wrote:

Eotechs are going for under $300

I don't see any real advantage to this new sight for that price

The Eotech has no magnification - I have Eotechs, Aimpoints, ACOGs, etc. BUT I also have an IOR 1.1-4x26 that is very similar to this offering and I like it a lot.  1.1x for CQB with both eyes open, and 4x for some magnification for better target ID-ing.

greywolf View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2005 at 05:14
Not to mention this would make a GREAT brush gun scope and dangerous game scope for hunting in Africa.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2005 at 06:48

The scope market is a very tough one to crack, from a marketing stand point.

The CQB types especially.

Eotech's new "F" series is doing well as Mithran mentioned.

Aimpoint has the new M3 w/ a 2 moa dot and longer battery life.

ACOG, USO's SN 4's, Night Force's CQB, S&B CQB, Leupold, IOR, etc. if you need magnification.

Thats some tough competition!!

The reason I feel the CQB market is so tough, is because when a guy buys  "tactical" gear, he has to be able to trust it to work all the time. The level of trust in his gear is very high. His life may depend on it.

Those scopes I mentioned, have been used in the field by LE, military, SWAT, DEA, ATF, etc.

Those manufacturers have had to gain the persons trust, and that can be a long, hard process.

FWIW......

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2005 at 13:47

There is another significant part of the market: couch warriors of all sorts and other non LE or military folk.  We buy a lot of stuff, but we often can't afford a $600 dollar Leupold 1-3x scope.  This would be a nice alternative for those people.

Ilya

Edited by koshkin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2005 at 14:25
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

There is another significant part of the market: couch warriors of all sorts and other non LE or military folk.  We buy a lot of stuff, but we often can't affors a $600 follar Leupold 1-3x scope.  This would be a nice alternative for those people.

Ilya

I didn't mean to insinuate that one couldn't break into the CQB scope arena, but that it would be difficult with all the others out there, I would think. 

Maybe your right. Maybe some guys will want something like this. 

I probably won't be buying one though.

Mithran View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2005 at 20:44
I'm not in the military anymore but would still buy an ACOG for my AR15.  Just for the fact I've used it before, and trained others how to use it (Even fixed at 4x they can be used in CQB, you just have to train with it) and it would be used for personal defense.  You never know what situation you could find yourself in, and for that it's worth 10 times it's weight in gold.  The only other scope I'll pay less than $300 for is a Super Sniper which I already own, which is well worth ten times it's weight in gold for such a good price with outstanding glass.  It's just to good for that little cash to pass up.  A close second for CQB would be for the Eoech because I've used it before too on two different weapons and am familier with it..
Fight Smarter
Not Harder
ots03 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ots03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2005 at 21:22

ABSOLUTLY NO. First..I prefer scopes with bigger objetive lenses (32mm to 40mm). Second: a CQB scope must be strong and Chinese scopes are Weak.(even japan scopes are a bit weak for tactical use).

If I need a CQB scope I choose the best brand I can afford ( Im playing with my life!!).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2005 at 07:20
I would poll those yahoos over @ AR15.com and see what they say, if you haven't already. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic