OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Choosing the right scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bullet74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Choosing the right scope
    Posted: March/13/2009 at 08:35
I am having a hard time deciding which scope to get, it'sa bit of a toss up betwen the Elite 3200 and the Burris FFII. I like raingurard feature on the elite, but they eye relief of 3" may be a problem compared to the Burris which has an eye relief of 3.1 - 4.1, since I wear glasses I think eye relief is a factor. The thing with Burris is that the eyepiece turns to adjust the focus and from what I hear it can be stiff in cold weather, and I probobly can't get flip open covers. I was also thinking about the 1.5-4.5 with Firefly which would help me see the reticle up against a bear, but again the eye relief is 3.5". I would like to stick to the 2-7x cause I hunt hardwoods alot. There is also the Vortex Viper in a 2-7, I don't know much about them?  Now if I want to step it up a little I was looking at the Nikon Monarch 2-8x32. What do you guys thhink?
A BAD DAY HUNTING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2009 at 09:11
You only need to focus the eye piece once.  All that is for is to focus the reticle and once you have it focused to your own eye that's it, you shouldn't be moving it all the time.  So not turning good in cold weather should not be an issue.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2009 at 09:32
I had a Bushnell 3200 3X9.  I liked it.  I guess it's as good as a Leupold VX-II....plus it's got Rainguard.  I had mine on a 270 Win.  I don't wear glasses.  It was fine.  
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2009 at 10:28
The Nikon Monarch 2-8x32 is one of my favorite scopes. The optics are very sharp, it has plenty of eye relief, and it only weighs 13oz. 

The rifle up top is the little Monarch on a youth sized Howa .308. I bought it to use as a brush rifle. For contrast the rifle in the foreground is a full sized Howa 30-06 mounting a 3-9x40 Team Primos.

Edited by sholling - March/13/2009 at 10:31
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
Bullet74 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bullet74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2009 at 11:55
So you don't to re-focus when you change magnification?
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2009 at 12:14
You don't focus low-mid powered scopes on the target. All you need to do is adjust the rear focus ring once to bring the cross hairs into sharp focus for your eyes.

You really don't need to do any more than that until you get into scopes with more than 10x magnification. Then you'll be looking for something with an adjustable objective (front focus) or side focus. One of the advantages of low-mid powered scopes is the speed that you get on target since there is nothing to fiddle around with. 

Edited by sholling - March/13/2009 at 12:14
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2009 at 12:16
The 3200 firefly with raingaurd is a winner.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2009 at 16:59

I think all the scopes listed are pretty decent, given a choice, I'd choose the Monarch.  It is the most expensive but I believe also the nicest.  The Burris and Bushnell are also fine choices.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2009 at 17:20
TR21 Trijicon 1.25-4x24 Accu-Point Rifle Scope                                                                               Trijicon 1.25-4x24 Accu-Point Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Amber Triangle BAC
  • 1"
SWFA: $678.95
More Info... Buy Now
http://www.swfa.com/c-19-trijicon-rifle-scopes.aspx  watch eth video. Trijicon Accupoint scopes are available in several power ranges and they are awesome scopes for rapid  target acquisition.   (note this model the tube does not go same size to the end like the new 30mm model, also it is a fairly short compact scope but there are other models)

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - March/13/2009 at 17:41

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Bullet74 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bullet74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2009 at 07:45

Nice scope but out of my price range

magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2009 at 11:48
Get the Monarch if you can.  I know it cost more but you get what you pay for.  I've got 2 of the older Monarch UCC in 2x7x32 and  like them a lot for in the woods huntin'.  One sits on a BLR .358 Win. and the other on a Ruger International .308 Win.  If you really want to step it up get the Zeiss 2.5x8x32.  My only caveat would be on a Burris FF II 2x7x35 with the Geman #4 Reticle.  That reticle is very heavy and stands out well in low light.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
gun74 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2009 at 08:54
I have elite 3200's  and a couple of leopoulds on most of my rifles and there is no problem with eye relief for me and I wear glasses.I really like the Bushnells rainguard 
Bullet74 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bullet74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 18:26
I just want to know what Monarch reticule woould be better for low light, te BDC or the Nikoplex?

Thanx guys
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2009 at 18:30
Nikoplex. Keep it simple for low light.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic