OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Which tactical scope ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mnshootr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which tactical scope ?
    Posted: April/25/2005 at 10:55

I am putting together my first long range tactical rifle in 308 win. Shots will be between 300-800 yards maybe 1000 if I can do my part. I would like a varible power with a top range of 14-16 and a max obj. lens of 50mm. I have mildot scope now and like it, but would like a reticle with more percise ranging ability,such a TMR or MLR. Durability, consitant tracking, ease of use and of course price are my concerns.

The two I am looking at now are the Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50 M1 and the Nightforce 3.5-15x50.

What I like about the Leupold is its size, TMR and it should cost a lttle less than a nightforce. I considered the M3 knobs for there simplicity but as handloader don't want to limit myself to one load.

What I like on the Nightforce is the MLR, the zero stop feature, and the big range of adjustment. But it is a lot bigger and heavy compared to the mark 4. I also dont know that I would use a illuminated reticle enough to justify the added cost.

Are there any other scopes I shoud consider that are comparible to these two? Of these two which do you think is better? Since neither SWFA or my local dealer sell Nightforce do you know of a good source for them?

Thanks for any insight you can offer. All this rifle needs to be finished is a scope but I'm too   to make up my mind.

Edited by mnshootr
Deak View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2005 at 11:45
Both of those scopes are great, I would have to give my vote to the nightforce with the added adjustment range. The .308 will drop a bit so that is something to put high on the list if you want to go to 1000m. Better? It depends on who you ask and what they like. I know of military guys that "love" one or the other or neither. Just goes to show that at the level you're talking about quality is great, and it comes down to the features that you, the shooter value the most. Weight over the adjustment, that sort of thing. One last thing to consider, my friends overseas mentioned that many of them are progressing into the day/night optics realm with the technology coming along as it is. That stuff is way out of most of our price ranges though! Hopes this helps.
mnshootr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mnshootr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2005 at 12:33
After more web surfing I found another possibility to consider. The Nikon 4 - 16 x 50 tactical seems to fit most of my needs. It seems to have a little less adjustment range but other wise compares very well. How do you all think it compares to the other two?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2005 at 13:18

Originally posted by mnshootr mnshootr wrote:

After more web surfing I found another possibility to consider. The Nikon 4 - 16 x 50 tactical seems to fit most of my needs. It seems to have a little less adjustment range but other wise compares very well. How do you all think it compares to the other two?

I like all 3 scopes you mentioned.

My next "tactical scope" will probably be the Nikon Tactical though. The lack of elevation can easily be compensated for by using a 20 moa canted rail, like Badger Ord.

The Mark 4 would be my last choice, but all 3 scopes would be fine.    

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Mithran View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2005 at 22:02

I'm going to start a you know what storm with this but I have to say it.  Get a Super Sniper fixed 10x42mm or 10x42M (side focus)

Save your money, buy more ammo, and other things you may want for your rig.  Even though the scope is not a variable its probably one of the best tactical scopes out there.  Optic quality?  redneckbmxer24 rates his above the new USO he bought for a M40A3 look a like.  More than enough adjustments to get you out to 1000 yards and a little further without a 20MOA tapered base.  Mine is crystal clear and am easliy able to down 500 yard targets (due to only a 500 yard rifle range) repeatadly.  Maintains zero and box drill is right on.

$800 + for a Leupold or Nightforce or $300 + for a scope just as good.  Seems an easy choice to me.  SWFA has plans to make the Super Snipers variable, but thats well down the road.

Many SS owners have them on .50 cals so they will hold up.

This is just my opinion though.

Fight Smarter
Not Harder
David View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2005 at 11:27

I would highly recommend the XOTIC 4-16X56 1st. focal plane mil dot.

Edited by David
ots03 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ots03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2005 at 21:31
 Leupold is good, but nightforce is better
dilligaf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dilligaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2005 at 20:24

Mithran has an excellent point. I have yet to own a SS but I have seen one and did a side by side comparison with my Leupold MK IV 10x. Every review I have read was correct. They are comparable with $ 800 - $ 1000 scopes. My next project will have a SS 10x sitting on it. I would strongly encourage you to invest in a 20 moa base if you plan on shooting extended ranges. You will end up buying one down the road anyway. You might as well bite the bullet on the cost and get one now.

Joe

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2005 at 14:04

The true answer is that it depends on why you want a tactical scope and what you will ultimately do with it.

I personally do not like the nightforce scope it is big and "Klunky".  My first choice for a Police sniper rifle is the Leupold

LEU56070 Leupold 4.5-14x50 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope Leupold 4.5-14x50 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Illuminated Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Long Range
  • M1 Target Knobs
  • Side Focus
  • Free Leupold Flip-Open Lens Covers

That said - understand before you buy that M1 scopes have 1/4 minute adjustment and M3 scopes have 1minute elevation and 1/2 minute windage adjustments with a cam system on the elevation to adjust long distance fast under combat conditions. This scope 4.5-14 comes only as M1 and M3 drives target shooters nuts because each click is one inch at 100.  Now if you are not in the business of shooting at people the Super Sniper scopes are a much more affordable scope and fully adequate for most people, and I would not hesitate to use one even for a Police tactical rifle.  I have SS20 on .223 Savage 10LE,  Leu 8.5-25 illuminated on Rem 700 Police .308,  Leu 10X M3 on .308 Savage 10Le (20in) and Leu 4.5-14 on 300win. I have looked at the Nightforce but I have no desire to have one on the other hand the new Burris tactical scopes might be another choice but the Leu 4.5 -14 is the #1.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Chris(madrid) View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris(madrid) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/2005 at 00:40

Want the BEST? - REALLY? - Take a deep breath.............. Schmidt & Bender PM2.

Yes! It is expensive. - but so far I've found nothing that comes close. Not even other Schmidt & Bender, and they're good.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic