OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need large adjustment range

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hopperdamage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need large adjustment range
    Posted: April/24/2005 at 09:33

I own a Sako 75 in 300 RUM caliber.  I purchased some 1" high Sako brand ring/base via the internet.  I really like the rings, but they were so high that the scope that I had planed to put on the rifle would not work.  I did not have the elevation range that I needed.  See post on Tasco Bighorn.  The scope I wanted to use was a Pentax 4.5-14X50 whitetails unlimited.  The scope I ended mounting was a Tasco Big Horn 2.5-10X50.  It was a spare scope I had. I really like the scope and have shot well with it. I am concerned that the Tasco will not hold up to the recoil of the 300 RUM. I would like a quality durable scope for this rifle.  A 1" tube and 50mm or even bigger that has plently of adjustment range so I can sight the rifle in.  I went to several web sites and it seems like most scopes of this type have a max adjustment range at 100 yards of 50-60".  The Pentax has 40".  A Zeiss Conquest has 75", this was the largest I could find.  I could not find any info on my Tasco, I suppose I could secure the rifle and crank the adjustments from one end to the other and figure it out.  Are certain brands of scopes known for having more adjustment range than others?  Thanks for any information!

STWSniper View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STWSniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2005 at 14:34
If you really need a lot of adjustment range for long distance shooting you may want to look at a scope with a 30mm tube. These usually have all the adjustment range a person could actually use.
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2005 at 16:25

Wouldn't it just be easier to use the scope you want and get rings of the correct height?  Buying a scope to fit your rings doesn't make a lot of sense.

ranburr

hopperdamage View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hopperdamage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2005 at 16:41
Originally posted by ranburr ranburr wrote:

Wouldn't it just be easier to use the scope you want and get rings of the correct height?  Buying a scope to fit your rings doesn't make a lot of sense.

ranburr

You are correct, but I all ready have the rings and I like them.  I do have a Nikon 30mm scope that does not have a home right now.  It's a tactical model 2.5-10X44mm.  It was another good deal that I could not pass up.  I was planning on getting a flat top upper for my AR15 and use it on that. I had the Nikon it on a AR10 for awhile, it is a nice scope. I would have to but 30mm rings for the Sako.  I spent $90 for the Sako base \ rings.  Since I spent that much money, and the fact that they are nice I figure there should be a scope that would work with them.  The Tasco Big Horn 2.5-10X50mm looks and works well.  I'm sure that there are other scopes that will fill the bill that are more durable?  I've also been told that some of the scopes Tasco had made were really good scopes.  This Big Horn looks like a quality scope.  Maybe I should paint a Gold Ring on the adjustable objective and feel good about it.  Shoot it untill something happens. 

SOTN View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SOTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2005 at 00:36

hopperdamage:

"and feel good about it.  Shoot it untill something happens."

That's what I'd do for sure.  I'd like to know if the Tasco Bighorn holds up.

SOTN 

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2005 at 15:04
What range do you plan on sighting it in at that you are worried the scope won't have enough adjustment to reach?
hopperdamage View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hopperdamage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2005 at 17:39

Originally posted by Chris Chris wrote:

What range do you plan on sighting it in at that you are worried the scope won't have enough adjustment to reach?

I could not get the rifle even close to sighted in at 25 yards.  It was about 12" high at 25 yards with the scope cranked to the limit of it's adjustment range.  This was a Pentax White Tail 4.5-14X50AO scope and using high or extra high(?) Sako scope mounts.  A Japan made Tasco Big Horn 2.5-10X50AO had the adjustment range, but I was concerned about the Tasco holding up to the recoil of a 300RUM.  I have since went to Warne med. height 30mm mounts and a Nikon 2.5-10X44AO tactical scope.  It seems like a good match for the rifle.  I actually like the Tasco better than the Pentax, even though the Pentax is supposed to be a top of the line scope. 

SOTN View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SOTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/07/2005 at 03:19

Originally posted by hopperdamage hopperdamage wrote:

Are certain brands of scopes known for having more adjustment range than others?  Thanks for any information!

hopperdamage:

I notice no-one answered your original question.  I didn't know that some scopes had such a minuscule adjustment range, so you have given me some useful information.  It sounds like the Pentax would require some special mounting on your rifle, anyway. 

In a previous message, I agreed that you should continue to use the Tasco.  I think that some people get carried away, thinking if they don't spend enough money on their riflescope it will surely break.

The most expensive scope I own is a Leupold, 3x9 Vari X II, but I don't like it much.  It is now my spare scope for one rifle, and I'm using a Nikon Buckmaster, that I got for a little less than $200.00  As a matter of fact, I have a $50.00 Bushnell that I like better than the Leupold.  It's so clear and bright that I love to look through it.

As far as I'm concerned, a scope either works or it don't, and you can tell that after a few dozen rounds.  I can tell right away if I like a scope. 

I carry a spare scope, with the same type of Quick Detachable mounts, so I can switch if the one on my rifle should fail me on a hunting trip, although I've never had to do that.  I'd do that no matter how expensive they are, because any of them can fail.  I'd rather use something  that I like, than something with an impressive price tag. 

I suspect that others have a greater appreciation for quality than I do, because they have had bad experiences with inexpensive scopes.  Perhaps they are also more discerning, and they only like expensive scopes.  We all have our own points of view.

SOTN

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic