OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon Lookout II 10x50

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jsimoneaud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon Lookout II 10x50
    Posted: March/12/2009 at 08:40
my dad gave me a old set of Nikon Lookout II 10x50. Does anybody know anything about these? what did they sell for$$? how long ago where they manufactured? the lenses are dirty on the inside and they had a warranty card that said 25 years, so I called Nikon and they said send them in, they should be covered, so I will ship them this weekend.

they don't seem to be very good glass.
J Simoneaud
IT Security Supervisor
State of Louisiana
Pollywog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pollywog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2009 at 18:07
Hi Jsimoneaud ,

It's rather funny as I just had my binoculars out (Lookout II 10x50 Nikon) and thought I would search the Nikon website to see if by chance they were still current. Of course I find that they aren't so I Googled them and somehow found your post here... so I joined this website so I could respond to your enquiry.

Anyways, I bought my binoculars, likley about 12-15years ago. I am into photograghy in a big way so for me optics were the # 1 consideration. The photo shop I dealt with had several makes of high end binoculars and I had the opportunity to try them all (Pentax, Nikon, Bushnell etc...). I was even able to take some home to try. The best test I did was actually in the photo shop. I would check out small window signs across the very wide main street of Tillsonburg (widest small town main st. in Ontario Canada @ about 100+ ft.)

After properly setting up the binoculars I was able to read the smallest print in the far windows with the Nikons and used that as a bench mark. They were noticably better quality optics then even the comparable Pentax units. I was not in a hurry to buy them but I did want to make sure that when I did buy a set they were the best. After a lot of one on one comparisons they were my #1 choice. I wear glasses so for me the roll back eyecups were a must and these have them.

The 10X magnification can be a little shaky when hand holding but they are great for close up viewing. I'm not sure now bad your len's are fogged up but if you can get them cleaned properly and covered under warranty to the quality of new then you will have a excellent set of binoculars, guaranteed !
When I bought mine the list price  (in Canadian dollars) was about $250.00 likely about $200.00 US

Hope this is of some help!

Paul Weeks
Ingersoll, Ontario

Jsimoneaud View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jsimoneaud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2009 at 08:00
Paul Thanks for the Info, I am shipping them off today, so I will update ya'll as to what happens.
J Simoneaud
IT Security Supervisor
State of Louisiana
Pollywog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pollywog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2009 at 08:25
That would be great... Let me know how you like them.

Paul
Jsimoneaud View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jsimoneaud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2009 at 09:51
Well nikon sent me a REPLACEMENT - brand new set of Nikon Action 10x50  in lou of the Nikon Lookout II

they for sale
J Simoneaud
IT Security Supervisor
State of Louisiana
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic