OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon 3x9-40 BDC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bullitt4248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon 3x9-40 BDC
    Posted: March/11/2009 at 12:47
 Anyone have any insight on the general field durability of the Nikon #6320 - BDC 3x9-40. I will be using it on my savage rifle, 300 WSM.

Also, I have two other scopes my uncle gave me one is a Sawarovsky and the other is a Zeiss. Both seen little use - I was wondering if I should send then in to the manufacture to be checked out before I mount them - they both have a few "dings on them." - not even sure of their age as my uncle passed away.

Thanks
Bullitt4248
Democracy ?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2009 at 13:11
i would test them at the range and see how they work before i sent them anywhere. the nikon isnt to bad of a scope, its actually an old monarch ucc scope with the bdc reticle.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
bullitt4248 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bullitt4248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2009 at 18:01
 Thanks, but just another small question - whats a monarch ucc? and does that mean its an ok scope?
Democracy ?
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2009 at 18:13
I think he is looking at a Prostaff Pyro. Bullittt, if you are looking for a nice Nikon in that price range, I would suggest this one.

I have one and like it very much. I'm considering another one.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bullitt4248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2009 at 18:43
 Yes, I bought the Pro-Staff 3x9-40 BDC. Appears close to Pyro (Specs). Thanks

As far as the other two scopes I mentioned- I guess I am a lazy sort - I didnt want to mount & zero then remove each. Even then how can you tell if they hold zero past the first few rounds?

Democracy ?
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2009 at 20:47
Well, without shooting them for a while, to make sure they hold, you really don't. They are both very good optics companies. (Swarovski & Zeiss) I can't say without seeing them how old they are, or what model they are, but both should be able to hold zero just fine, unless they have been damaged, or something. About all you can do is mount them, and try them a few times, and see if they work.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2009 at 21:05
Nikon Pro Staff is a good scope,should hold up to a 300WSM recoil.The 2 other scopes should be mounted to see if they hold zero.If the scopes are clear no floating dust particles inside you should not even bother with sending them back. 
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2009 at 00:36
 they both have a few "dings on them
do you mean cosmetic scratches in the finish or do you mean the tubes are dented?
It might be worthwhile to send them back to the manufacturer and have them cleaned and inspected for need of repair.  If you really dont intend to do anything with them use the samplelist form and trade them in on something you can use like a rangefinder or binoculars etc.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bullitt4248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2009 at 08:04
 I went to a local gun show - took them with me to try and see what others thought. Well, its amazing how quick people are to tell you what they are not worth.
 I couldnt get a straight answer from 9 - out of ten guys I talked to. One guy seemed to want to educate me - he said they are nice products and reasonable condition. It does look like the tube on the Sav is compressed a little - I assume the rings did that. The other few dings appear to be just your run of the mill scratches from brush or whatever.
 I talked to a few scope vendors - most wanted to know what I would want for them - but they would not commit to saying what they felt they were worth. I found it frustrating, I saw some similar scopes and they were asking around and over $1000. for theirs - while it seemed they felt mine might be worth less than half that.
  As far as trading them off - I am worried that since I dont know what they are worth - how do you know whats a fair trade value.
  Dont get me wrong, I have been to a few guns shows and most guys are helpful. I find good prices and good advice. I guess I will just be glad I bought the Nikon(self inflicted birth day gift) - and just keep trying to get more info before deciding how to proceed. Leaning towards mounting them - so now I guess the question would be, on what? Should I go light caliber or straight to the 300WSM. I guess if they can handle it I win - if they loose aim point I send them back to the manufactures.

I guess in a sense I am blessed to be stuck with such a choice!

YO! - Trigger - your avatar is making me sea sick - I cant stop looking at it !!!!!!!!
Democracy ?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic