OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Custom Rifle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Custom Rifle
    Posted: March/09/2009 at 22:12

About to put deposit on a custom build rifle in either 7rem mag or 300win mag. Will have remington blued action, stainless barrel, Mcmillan stock if can get in time for fall, and factory remington trigger modified. Will have to choose barrel brand of either Lilja, Kreiger, or Hart. Will have to obviously pick between the 7 and 300. Need to decide on barrel length, twist and brake or no brake. Intitial plan has been to go with the 7mm in 24 inch barrel, no brake and 1-9 twist. Also wonder if is good idea to go with Mcmillan stock in "edge technology". Any thoughts on above would be appreciated. Plan to use this as all around big game gun ex. moose and bears. Mostly whitetail, goats and mule deer.

Thanks
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 22:29
I would choose the 7mm.  It will easily kill anything you have stated and will have a little less recoil which would be nice.  I would not own a hunting gun with a brake, those things are way to loud and obnoxious.  Will definitely cause serious hearing damage.

Edited by supertool73 - March/09/2009 at 22:37
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 22:30
OOOOHH!  Mental masturbation.  Let's see if I was building that rifle it'd be pretty close to what you're describing.  McMillan Edge-Yes.  Jewell trigger-Yes.  Blued 700-Yes.  I'd probably go with a Krieger 9 twist 7mm Rem Mag too.  I wouldn't argue with a Hart either though.  Oversized recoil lug.  I'd run factory bottom metal because it's lighter than aftermarket.  Traditional 2 piece Talley rings and bases with a VX3-or Swaro of the 1" variety to reduce weight and bulk.  That's about perfect IMO.
thomas View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 22:40
Smith wants to put a blind magazine and get rid of the factory trigger guard. Aftermarket unit will add 300 plus bucks to the build and not do anything for performance   have also decided not to go with a jewell to save money
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 22:54
What smith are you using.
thomas View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 23:01

John Gallagher in Alabama. Have some good references on him and he is much more reasonably priced than the named custom guys. Decided to trust him after several conversations. Nice man who seems to know his stuff. His national reputation is for customizing Ruger single action revolvers. Supposed to be a very skilled machinist.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 23:08
All good components and if you trust the smith then go with him. I think the smith is just as important as the parts being used. If you check McMillan's site, they have a section where you can get a stock without the wait. They usually have a decent number of inlets for Remmy 700's.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 23:09
sounds like fun - I have no experience with customs, so can't offer anything there.  If I were to build a bolt gun, then I'd go with the 7 Mag!  Pretty sure no brake and would go with the barrel the smith felt most comfortable working with.  I'd have to think about the scope a little bit more.  My questions would be on the stock.  I'm not a synthetic guy!  So I would have to be "sold" on one before I'd go with one.  I like wood and laminate.
take em!
thomas View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 23:17
Roy I will check the Mcmillan site. Thanks   I called them and they said 4 months and that the only Remington stuff they had avail. was painted in funky colors.

Tip good idea to trust the guy to choose the barrel. I am going to likely stick with my current Conquest scope for this year so that I can actually be allowed by management to spend some money on a hunt.
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 23:21
I have no "wisdom" in this area, as customs are outside my present price range. However, I have dealt with muzzle brakes, and I wouldn't put one on my hunting weapon unless it was a very large hard recoiling round. (think .338 Lapua or larger) I don't care to be sent into shock from the muzzle blast from my weapon. I'm with you on the McMillan stock though.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Relentless Pursuit View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Relentless Pursuit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2009 at 03:44
While I've more Customs than I can count,for killing,the Kimber Montana 7WSM is very difficult to whip. It'll stay sub MOA to 1K,is a pleasure in all regards and takes a lickin' nicely.

Brakes are for cars...not rifles...................
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2009 at 05:47
Why are you having a pistol smith building a rifle? If he is good at pistols, he should not have time to do your gun.  Not that most pistolsmiths are not better machinst. And they do get bored.  Now if this is one of the small time locals I can understand.  Custom rifles I do not have, custom pistols I do...There is fast, good or cheap smiths and you can have two out of three. YMMV
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Relentless Pursuit View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Relentless Pursuit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2009 at 09:47
Killer gunsmiths abound and typically under the radar,which is a nice arrangement.

I use more than a few..................
Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2009 at 09:07
Why 7mm or 300WM?  Unless one is gunned up already, in my opinion a 338 of one variety or another just works better for all the game the OP listed.  It can do more than either 7 or 300, and with a good butt pad and stock that fits the shooter recoil is not a problem after you reconcile to it mentally and practice a little.  I say this because my go-to rifles for big-game hunting are both 338 WM, a Tikka T3 Hunter for stalking and an A-Bolt Medallion for those nice carpeted Texas deer blinds.  I think the 338WM strikes a nice balance between power on target and recoil for the game listed, but 338-06 or 340 Weatherby are good choices too.  Also, the 338s can shoot long range quite well.  I do think that 338 RUM and 338-378 Weatherby might be too much of a good thing in a stalking rifle, though.

Anyway, 7mm Mags and 300 WMs are on every street corner for sale, look at gunbroker!  Break the mold, this is a semi-custom rifle!!!  Just my opinions, though.  I have a semi-custom 280AI I love, but man those 338s wallop big game!

Texas
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2009 at 09:18
Wow, why would anyone need a .338 to kill a deer.  My dad and I have killed mule deer our whole lives with .243s and never needed anything bigger.  We have killed quite a few elk with .243s and never not got one because we were under gunned.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2009 at 09:31
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Wow, why would anyone need a .338 to kill a deer.  My dad and I have killed mule deer our whole lives with .243s and never needed anything bigger.  We have killed quite a few elk with .243s and never not got one because we were under gunned.  

my wifes cousin uses his for whitetail, im going to use my .375H&H this fall, they die where you shoot them, no chasing them into the swamp  or any blood trail to follow they die where they stand.

i wouldnt have a .338 built for a custom rifle though.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2009 at 09:39
You are absolutely right, Supertool.  But there is the bear thing ...  And this is a (semi-)custom rifle!  No one "needs" one of these to kill deer and elk, either.  Of course, with the 338 I feel much closer to "any shot I want or that the trophy gives me."  I'm just sayin' to think outside the 7/300 box because most semi-custom rifles cost MUCH more than factory sticks.  Also, if/when interests or situations change the 338 will be worth more on the resale market because it isn't a 7 or a 300 like so many other rifles for sale.  Heck, I like 7 and 300 too, I just like 338 more!
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2009 at 09:41
Wow, you have changed your tune since you bought a bigger gun.  They will all die where you shoot them if you hit them in the right place.  That's a given.

My dad shot a deer with a 350 grain 45-70 at less than 50 yards and did not hit it good and we chased him for miles.  Yet we have killed tons of deer with a .243 and as long as we hit them in the vitals they go right down.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2009 at 09:45
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Wow, you have changed your tune since you bought a bigger gun.  They will all die where you shoot them if you hit them in the right place.  That's a given.

My dad shot a deer with a 350 grain 45-70 at less than 50 yards and did not hit it good and we chased him for miles.  Yet we have killed tons of deer with a .243 and as long as we hit them in the vitals they go right down.

dont get me wrong i dont agree with the guy at all! im just stating the "common responses of today's hunters"
i agree with you, the 7mm mag is the most popular magnum in the united states for a reason, great performance, and pretty manageable recoil and ammo all over hell. i will only use the .375H&H on occasion, their is no way in hell i will shy away from my 6.5mm's unless i cant reload them anymore.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2009 at 10:03
Y'all are right, I don't what was I thinking.  thomas definitely should build a 7mag or a 300 winmag.  There is no reason whatsoever to use a bullet larger than either one of those two in the lower 48.  0.007" or 0.031" larger than a 270 bullet is totally enough, anything more is just inhumane.  Anyone want to buy a couple of nice, used, accurate 338 win mag rifles with Kahles scopes on 'em?

Regards, Texas
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic