OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

deer rifle?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2009 at 18:54

I killed 5 deer and a hog this year from 10-248 yrds with a .223 with Win. 64 grain power points ! I wouldn't particularly worry about a .243 myself !!BTW........all of mine were heart/lung shots .........no neck or head !  

Heavishot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavishot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2009 at 23:43
Now that I think about it... Growing up, my cousin used a .243 and he killed as many deer as anybody around.
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2009 at 01:35
If you go Remington and can deal with the weight (7 3/8#) and overall length (43 5/8") one of these 700 CDL's in 243 will have a very light recoil and will be fun to shoot.  The R3 pad is great. 
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2009 at 08:04
Hornady has a new 85g Interbond out that ought to be a good load in the .243.  My daughter has been whacking deer with a 6mm Rem for the last 3 years.  I've loaded the Hornady 100g Interlock BTSP in this gun for years with good results.  The Barnes 85g TSX is a good choice too.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
Clark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2009 at 18:59
The biggest bull elk I have ever seen was taken by a little woman with a baby and her 243.
The biggest white tail buck I have ever seen was taken by a larger childless woman and her 243.

Meanwhile, doe antelope laugh at my 7mmMag misses, and coyotes walk though my buckshot pattern.
Jsimoneaud View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jsimoneaud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2009 at 09:47
I killed my first rack buck in 1984 with a Weatherby bolt action 243 - bang flop. killed many more with it after that.

BUT I have this THING to own a  REM 6mm bolt action one day. I have borrowed one several times from a good friend and all deer killed were bang flops.
J Simoneaud
IT Security Supervisor
State of Louisiana
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2009 at 13:39
Originally posted by Jsimoneaud Jsimoneaud wrote:

BUT I have this THING to own a  REM 6mm bolt action one day. I have borrowed one several times from a good friend and all deer killed were bang flops.

I can't blame you.  I too, prefer the 6mm Rem. over the .243 Win.  All the .243 WSSM did was duplicate 6mm Rem.'s performance. 

I have one in a push feed Win. Model 70 Featherweight that my daughter has confiscated for the same reason you like it.  She's only had one deer run... and that was my fault.  I instructed her to take the shot when we should have waited for a better one. Shocked

I have since bought myself another 6mm in a Ruger No. 1 B.  I like it because there is no COAL issue with the short action magazine.  Had to stock up on Barnes XFB 90g bullets when they were discontinued.  (<0.5 MOA at 3300+) I've got over 200 so I should be OK for a couple yeasr anyway Wink

Hold out for what you want...
You'll be happer in the long run.

Of course you can never have too many rifles Big Grin
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2009 at 14:12
My dad and I have killed 5 or 6 elk with .243s.  All of them was 1 or 2 shots, depending on our shot placement.  I don't know how many mule deer we have killed with .243s. 

I shot an elk last year with a 45-70 and made a bad hit and we tracked him for 2 days before my dad found him and killed him with the .243.  45-70 is a big gun, but I made a bad hit and away he went.   

It is all about shot placement.  To many people think it is the bullet size and the powder charge that does it.  All it takes is a bullet strong enough to reach the organs and a good hit and they will go down.  That's just a given. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2009 at 14:12
I have introduced my children to rifle shooting with a 243.  My son (7) shot and dropped a doe in January at 80yds, high neck, no need to trail.  I too like a larger bullet, but shot with the same 243 (browning a bolt) a South Carolina 11 point that weighed 195 on the ground--25 yard trail this past .  My son perceives no recoil and no September.problem shooting where he aims (b/c of poor habits from flinching--like so many of us!).  Would I pick a bigger grain bullet pusher if I were buying him a one time gun?  Yes.  Has he gotten good habits and taken his first deer with the 243, and is he excited about going again?  Priceless!
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2009 at 14:13
SORRY, September was put in the wrong place!
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jsimoneaud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2009 at 14:41
magshooter, thats what I want a 6mm shooting some barnes bullets real close together.

I had a ruger #1 1A in 7mm , that damn thing would not shoot better than 2 inch groups, after paying 730.00 for it and now was gonna have to spend more to have the forearm free floated, I sent it on down the line and got a tikka.
J Simoneaud
IT Security Supervisor
State of Louisiana
Dshusker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dshusker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2009 at 17:27
I was a long time .243 fan and tried my brother's 25-06. Flatter shooting and more accurate out to 350 yds. That was 12 years ago and I use my 243 for varmints only. The 7mm-08 is a fine cartridge also but  25 cal just works better for me.
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2009 at 19:12

magshooter, thats what I want a 6mm shooting some barnes bullets real close together.

I had a ruger #1 1A in 7mm , that damn thing would not shoot better than 2 inch groups, after paying 730.00 for it and now was gonna have to spend more to have the forearm free floated, I sent it on down the line and got a tikka.

This could have been fixed for a mere $59.00 and you would have had a real nice gun?
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2009 at 20:49
The 243 is a good gun PERIOD. Know your gun and it will serve you well.....
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jsimoneaud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2009 at 07:26
Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

This could have been fixed for a mere $59.00 and you would have had a real nice gun?

Well from what I understand, it was more like 80.00 to float the forearm and then maybe have to do some type of bedding, so I go the impression it was going to be $80 - $200.00 depending on results. then I found all the forums about tuning a Ruger NO. 1 and all the problems with them, I decided screw it and get a tikka, you got 4 shots and it's accurate out the box.
J Simoneaud
IT Security Supervisor
State of Louisiana
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 08:13
All I did to mine was float the barrel and spend some time working with different loads.  It also shoots Speer 105g Spitzers into .75" at 3150 fps.  I am still working on loads for the Ruger No. 1 in .270 Weatherby Mag that I got in Jackson, MS about 18 months ago.  I have a friend who collects No. 1's and he says in his experience that they like the hot loads at the upper end of the load manuals.  I have discover theat tehy just need patience to find the right load.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jsimoneaud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 08:17
if I was retired or didn't work so much, I would probably enjoy tinkering like that, but right now I just need stuff that works. the Ruger NO 1 is a SEXY gun.
J Simoneaud
IT Security Supervisor
State of Louisiana
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 08:30

if I was retired or didn't work so much, I would probably enjoy tinkering like that, but right now I just need stuff that works. the Ruger NO 1 is a SEXY gun.

(Sqeezer) "Oooo...did I hear Ruger sexy!!!"

Big Grin
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 09:26

6mm PO Ackley,Bruno action. 9lbs, downed pronghorn, mulies, whitetail, elk, goat, sheep, before the "good" bullets were invented. Wish I had the time to try each one with the "good" bullets.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2009 at 09:28
that looks like a pretty piece of wood mr clifford!!! i like it!!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic