OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Which do you prefer, angled or straight?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which do you prefer, angled or straight?
    Posted: March/09/2009 at 14:47
It takes a while to get used to an angled spotter because your eye and head are not looking in the direction of the target, but once you get used to it they are great because of the different ways they can be used.

You can easily use an angled spotter at the range with out having to move away from the rifle, just turn to your left and look through it.

You can easily use an angled from a stand or vehicle to look to look much further to the left and right compared to a straight.

I prefer an angled from the bench or stand and a straight for walking and stalking hunting because of how much faster you can get on target.  I use it without a tripod.  I just rest it on a solid object and if there are not solid objects, I use my back pack while in the prone position.

Overall if I had to pick one, it would be a straight because I use a spotter more in the field than I do from a bench of fixed location.

What do you prefer?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 15:05
Overall, I prefer the angled, since I use mine from a tripod and angled doesn't require the tripod be setup as high as for a straight.  The lower the tripod is setup, the more stable it is against movement, wind shake, etc.  Also, if you are sharing the spotter with other people of varying heights, the angled doesn't have to be readjusted for the other people, since it's comfortable to just bend your head and look down.  As a spotter is tilted at differing angles, it's easier to accommodate the relative change in eyepiece position with an angled eyepiece since the scope is already set lower in relation to your head with an angled scope.

If I were using a spotter without a tripod as you are, or possibly viewing through a car with a window mount, I would prefer the straight.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 15:10
ive never used an angled scope before, but i could see where it would be a nice feature. but like chris mentioned its so much faster to just raise a straight scope up in the field on a stock. i guess i would say straight, although its a biased opinion.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 16:04
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

..., or possibly viewing through a car with a window mount, I would prefer the straight.

Actually the angled is the way to go in a vehicle because you can look behind and in front of the vehicle (by rotating the angle to the left or right side) without having to reposition the vehicle and you don't have to lean back to see through it like you do a straight.

There have been a few companies that marketed a spotter that goes both ways but none have been very high quality.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 16:26
Yeah, I can see what you're talking about if you're looking behind and in front of the vehicle, where you can loosen the mounting collar and rotate the scope to the desired angle.  I was thinking due to the height of the window and roof restrictions, it might be more of a pain if you're looking straight out the side, 90 degrees to the side of the car, and need the eyepiece positioned vertically.

I originally wanted a straight scope, but I got a good deal on my angled model off the Sample List, so I went that way.  Like others, my initial concern was that it would be harder to acquire distant objects and track moving objects with an angled scope, however, once I got used to aiming down the scope body, I haven't found that to be the case at all. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 16:29
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

...  Like others, my initial concern was that it would be harder to acquire distant objects and track moving objects with an angled scope, however, once I got used to aiming down the scope body, I haven't found that to be the case at all. 

Many spotters actually have open sights built onto the side of the spotter to aid in acquiring distant objects.

What kind of spotter did you get?
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 17:49
I've almost always used straight spotters and so; I find angled ones to be a bit awkward.  I know they work and even have advantages but, I've just never spent enough time behind one to get used to it.

Angled only works from a window mount, if there is a mounting collar like RifleDude described. Otherwise, it's just a total pain in the a$$.
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 18:33
Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

Many spotters actually have open sights built onto the side of the spotter to aid in acquiring distant objects.

What kind of spotter did you get?

Mine has the sights molded into the sun shade and I do use them.  I bought a Leica Televid APO 77 you had on the Sample List.  It was in like new condition, and I simply couldn't believe my ears when you offered to sell it to me for only $400 with the eyepiece!!!!Wink

You had a Zeiss Diascope 85 on the SL that I originally coveted more, but it sold before I could make up my mind.  Still, the Leica has been good to me and hasn't been much of a compromise at all vs. the Zeiss.  I like the dual ratio focusers on the Zeiss, Leica, Kowa, etc. better than the helical focus ring on the body, so that was a deciding factor in my choice. 
Ted

anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2009 at 08:20
I used straight spotters for more than 20 years. These days i use both without even noticing a difference. When i first started using an angled spotter i needed about 2 hours to adjust, after which using it became instinctive. I have no clear preference for either  but i prefer angled for the 50mm spotter (most used these days) because it allows me to use a shorter and lighter tripod. 
jwp475 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwp475 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2009 at 15:29
  I prefer the angled without a doubt. In the hunting fields or at the target range the angled gets the job done for me. When I first got the angled I thought that I had made a mistake, but after I got familiar with it and how to acquire my target I love it. I take no longer to acquire my target than I do with a straight.
range it,check the wind, dial in correction,aim,squezze and only one Shot......
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2009 at 16:53
I prefer the angled for benchrest and varmint shooting just easier to use but I still have not found just what I want in a spotting scope still looking at all kinds but I think I want it to do too many things like high and low mag and a wide field of view.

Duce  Smile
Duce
muleycrazy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muleycrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2009 at 15:33
I like the straight mainly becuase its what I have used most and it just seems fast for me to get on subjects.
Tranan View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tranan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2009 at 15:07
I prefer angled because it makes it easier to watch objects in trees, rooftops or other types of heights easier. I use my scope for stargazing as well and that's when the angled one makes it easier.
Another problem with using the scope on a tripod is the that the image shakes, especially in windier conditions. For the straight scopes to reach the level of your eye, one needs as previously stated, to raise the tripod more which will increase its instability. If you happen to be a longer person that will feel even more disturbing.

I do however agree, to it taking a longer fraction of a second to identify the objects as the eye has to ajust itself to another angle. It is however rarely a problem and one gets used to it fast.
CHARLIE DON'T SURF!
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2010 at 11:29
always had a straight,got my first angled and finding the advantages that the members of this forum write about to be true.Excellent thanks.  the straight also has its advantages that the members here write about, so it seems it really comes down to how you are going to use the scope. all i know is i'm loving this new found adventure..    thanks Kevin                                   
skywalker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skywalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 10:52
straight........just seems better to me.  I might could get accustomed to an angled, but will stick with the straight for now.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 15:17
Angled for me. Off a bench, or shooting a high power match it's just easier to get to the ocular. I had a little trouble finding my target at first, but after a little use and using the body to aim the scope, it's not a problem.
Still shopping for a better replacement.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 18:14
The angled if better for me shooting targets. Just turn your head without getting out of position. Went on an Antelope hunt and it was almost worthless. Riding in the truck stopping and trying to get on the antelope in the field was very slow. For hunting a straight would be much easier and faster to use checking out the game.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 18:30
Angled... 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 19:00
That figures. You stay a little off center most of the time.Mouth Taped Shut
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2010 at 19:41
Those in the middle have no Code, have no Honor, have no Heart...

"walk on road, hm? walk left side, safe.. walk right side, safe... walk middle, sooner or later (squish) get squished like grape..."
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic