OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need recommendations for a compact scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need recommendations for a compact scope
    Posted: March/08/2009 at 22:29
Hi,

Like I say, I need recommendations for a compact scope that's 9" max, preferably a little less.

It's not really going on a tactical rifle but a Marlin Papoose .22lr with a 3/8" dovetail setup.

I figure that the are more tatical scopes that fit the description than "regular" rifle scopes. True?

Thanks,

Mike
mickey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 22:34
Oh yeah, I don't think a red dot is going to the the trick for what I need, which is lots of accuracy at 50yds. Maybe I red dot will do the trick I don't know. You guys tell me.

Mike
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 22:44
Hey Mike I don't want to sound like a dick but we already tried to help you on the other scope thread you will get the same answers here! try something we suggested then if that don't work well ....sorry         Cool
mickey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 23:38

looney,

No worries, my man. You don't sound exactly like a dick... .

I just thought there may be some folks who only come to the Tactical Scopes Forum because they are AR-15 afficianados or own some other type of tactical rifles who might have an answer.

And maybe they don't go to the regular Rifle Scopes Forum very often, if at all, so I thought I'd ask the question here.  And I bet I'm right on that to some degree!

And I know the last gun show I attended,  I was looking at a tac scope that was 7.5" and cost a small fortune. Wish I could remember the name of it. But nevertheless, I saw it.

SO, I was hoping one of the tactical fellas might have a suggestion. Sorry if this upsets you, I really am.

And I do appreciate the input of the guys, including yours, who responded to the other post.

Mike

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 00:07
AH the Tactical Marlin  70PSS   well the options are longer high power optic in quick detachable base or one of the short tactical optics in a low power or a dot.  Since you are looking for a scope that you can compete on paper with I think a quick detachable set of rings  with a longer scope is the answer. The best solution would be to have a gunsmith drill and tap the reciever and install a base. There are some adapters that go from 22 groved recievers to weaver but it is not ideal.  If you could live with a 1.5 to 5x  either a Sightron SII or Leupold VX3 would be short enough to work using talley 22cal dovetail rings as a fixed setup.  The detachable rings idea gives you the option to select a longer more target capable optic like a  10x or 16x or 20x Super Sniper or a Leupold target scope or a Bushnell 4-16x40  4200.
The scopes short enought to fit what you are wanting are very expensive and have low power usually 3x or less like Trijicon compact ACOG, Leupold Prismatic (Tactical), IOR
8855 Trijicon 3x24 Compact Acog TA394, Matte finish, amber crosshair reticle, BAC, like new condition demo model. DEMO $599.95
TA394 Trijicon 3x24 Compact Acog Rifle Scope                                                                                  Trijicon 3x24 Compact Acog Rifle Scope
  • Amber Crosshair BAC
  • Free Lens Cleaning Pen w/ Purchase
SWFA: $925.95
More Info... Buy Now
MOUNT  & base
MM07F Trijicon Compact Acog Mount                                                                                             Trijicon Compact Acog Mount
  • For AR-15 / M-16 flattop (Picatinny)
SWFA: $84.95
More Info... Buy Now
17025 B-Square Two Piece Air Gun Base                                                                                         B-Square Two Piece Air Gun Base
  • 3/8" to "Weaver" Adapter
  • Matte
SWFA: $19.95
More Info... Buy Now

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - March/09/2009 at 01:03

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 01:10
17025 B-Square Two Piece Air Gun Base                                                                                         B-Square Two Piece Air Gun Base
  • 3/8" to "Weaver" Adapter
  • Matte
SWFA: $19.95
More Info... Buy Now
ARMS22L ARMS #22L Throw Lever 30mm Rings                                                                                        ARMS #22L Throw Lever 30mm Rings
  • Matte
  • Low (.925")
  • 30mm
SWFA: $118.95
More Info... Buy Now
SS16X42 SWFA SS 16x42 Tactical Riflescope                                                                                       SWFA SS 16x42 Tactical Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
SWFA: $319.95
More Info... Buy Now
I check both forums but somehow missed your post. Personally what I would put on it is neither of the above because I'm not trying to compete just hunt so I would use this:
22M882 Talley Rimfire Rings                                                                                                    Talley Rimfire Rings
  • Matte
  • Marlin 882 / Marlin 917
SWFA: $49.95
More Info... Buy Now
SIIB125520 New Sightron 1.25-5x20 SII Big Sky Riflescope                                                                           New Sightron 1.25-5x20 SII Big Sky Riflescope
  • $50.00 Mail in Rebate (expires 12/31/2009)
  • Matte

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2009 at 21:40
This might be over kill for a .22 but I have a Burris 4x fixed magnum.I use it on my T/C  .460 S&W .It's only 8" long & can take anything I throw at itThe glass is very clean & not to much abberation!Great fit on my 20" barrel very good match.
  Look into soon as I understand  Burris has discontinued it for 2009 ,a real shame I might add as it works perfect in most applications where small is a neccesity.
   Hope this helps
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2009 at 01:28
The Weaver 2--7x28 is about ideal for a 22 and it really isnt all that big.  Really this is not the right area for this question as it isnt a tactical use it is a target use so something like a Leupold VX3 6x42 target scope would be the ideal choice but its bad enough having to deal with a reciever that isnt drilled and tapped but to be that compact the scope would have to be on quick detachable rings and to be that reliable you are talking about higher cost. These little 70PSS semi auto Marlins are awesome little take down guns and It would certainly make a good tactical suppressed takedown rifle for military use behind enemy lines. One could carry a lot of 22 ammo and suppressing a 22 can be quite effective unlike the issues with faster bullets.  I'm not aware of these being in current use but what a great choice for a pilots survival kit. Mickey what ammo were you using to get those groups?

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
mickey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2009 at 06:57
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

. Mickey what ammo were you using to get those groups?

The first 20yd target was with either Remington or Federal bulk stuff, believe it or not, with a Leapers 6x32AO scope.

After I saw the potential, the second time I shot it I switched over to CCI Green Tag and a 3-9 Bushnell Elite 4200 for the 50yd target.

I was amazed too. That's why I'm so hopped up about this rifle. I never would have expected this kind of accuracy out of a $215, 35" takedown rifle with no forearm on it.
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2009 at 10:36
For that .22 you're going to want a good quality rimfire scope. Something set to be parallax free at 50yds rather than the 100-120yds a centerfire scope is set for. I'd also want something reasonably rugged. All Weaver scopes are quality products and come with fully multicoated lenses, and I'd rate them on par with a Burris Fullfield II. In my opinion the little Weaver RV7 2.5-7x28 rimfire is ideal for your rifle.

The only centerfire scope that I would consider for that rifle is the discontinued Weaver 4x32 Classic shotgun scope. They are getting hard to find but they are set for 50yds, rugged, and very bright and clear. The only downside is that it might have a bit too much eye relief for that rifle. 

Edited by sholling - March/13/2009 at 10:53
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic