OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Mild 44 Mag Hunting Load

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G Dubya P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mild 44 Mag Hunting Load
    Posted: March/08/2009 at 21:40

Any ideas for a mild 44 mag hunting load out of a 5 1/2 inch Super Blackhawk?

I just acquired an old RCBS Rockchucker II and a bunch of accessories.  Don't know a thing about reloading yet.  But was thinking a 240 - 250 grain hard cast bullet at about 1100 to 1200 fps for deer out to 50 yds.

Is this enough load for bambi and if so what load(s) do you recommend?
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 21:47
Don't reload for pistol cartridges but that will do mighty fine I think I would use 44 special loads at those ranges? and hard cast will just go right through jacketed soft point or hollow would be better....IMO 
G Dubya P View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G Dubya P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 21:51
At 1100 to 1200 fps would the hollow points still punch through?  Not the best at tracking 'em, so I like 2 holes spraying buckets o' blood.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 21:57
At that range most certainly I shoot a Ruger Bisley in 44 mag with a 6" barrel cut down from 7-1/2" and it is devastating will all loads unless I were to hunt elk or pigs I like 44special loads the best, easy on recoil and they still get the job done!
G Dubya P View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G Dubya P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 22:06

Thanks.  I'm new to handgun hunting and was hoping something akin to hot 44 Special loads would be good enough.  But being a new handgun hunter, you start to believe some of the folks who say small tactical nukes are the minimum.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 22:09
just remember  1000s of deer are killed every year with smoke poles real muzzle loaders shooting round balls and they fall over just as dead as with a 308!
G Dubya P View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G Dubya P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 22:16

This is true.

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 09:13
Look at the heavy .45 Colt loads.  HS-6, VihtaVuori N-340, or even Unique (the pig) are some powders that may be user friendly for what you want. Some of the normal .44 powders do not like reduced loads.  You can always e-mail the powder companies and see what they tell you.   
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Crosswire View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crosswire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 15:52
"But was thinking a 240 - 250 grain hard cast bullet at about 1100 to 1200 fps for deer out to 50 yds.  Is this enough load for bambi and if so what load(s) do you recommend?"

Yes. 

Why a "mild load"?  It makes little difference to the shooter but a near full charge of 21-23 gr. 2400 under a hard cast 240 SWC is both deadly and comfortable to shoot.  Hoping to add much killing power by using hollow points at pistol velocities is too much to axk, usually. 

A .43" hole punched clear through a deer will be as efffective as a fully expanded .30 cal. bullet, maybe more so. 
Sam Colt did more to make men equal than any politician ever did.
geezer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 16:02
You can look online at Hodgdon Reload Data - the site covers Hodgdon, IMR, and Winchester powders.  Accurate & Ramshot powder data can also be found online.  If you plan to load much, invest in a good manual.  Speer had just updated theirs.  Lyman has just recently issued an update.  The Hornady manual is one of my favorites.  I also use Nosler a lot for rifle loads.  Good luck and enjoy.
I would give you my two cents worth, but then you would probably have to give half to the gov't and what good is one penny
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2009 at 00:05

Horniday new manual says 240 gr lead semi wadcutter using UNIQUE

5.7 gr =800 ft per sec,  6.2 gr =850 ft per sec,  6.6gr = 900 ft per sec,  7.1 gr = 950 ft per sec,  and 7.6 gr =1000 ft per sec and shows that as maximum load but that is a fairly soft lead bullet.  

My OLD Speer #9 shows 240 gr SWC  8.0 gr unique maximum at 898 ft per sec and shows a 7.0 gr load at 769 ft per sec.  This also is a fairly soft lead bullet.

The With Unique a 7.0 to 7.5  grain load sounds about right to me and I would not load it over 8.0 gr of Unique which is what I have loaded them at for years.  

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
G Dubya P View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G Dubya P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2009 at 16:28
Crosswire,

By mild I mean a load that a new 44 mag shooter can use for practice and for taking deer.

Here's another dumb question (based on Crosswire's response).  Are hard cast lead bullets milder to shoot that jacketed bullets?
scubasteve View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scubasteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2009 at 04:30

Fotay Fo be the schizznit fo be poppin' sum caps in a deers. Fo' schizzle.

While I haven't used a pistol or lead bullets, I have taken many with a Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag. My pet load is 23 gr of H-110 behind a 240 gr hollow point. Have never had to track one. Dang deer is dead within 50 ft.
I have killed 2 deer with my 4 5/8" Blackhawk in .41 mag using a hardcast with 2400. Dead.

Edited by scubasteve - March/13/2009 at 04:31
ATF should be the name of a convience store, not afederal agency.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 09:21
11-1200 FPS is an ideal speed for a 44 mag for deer and hogs

2400 and IMR 4227 are both great powders
I just ordered 500 250g Keith hardcast from leadhead bullets and my load development will start at 21g up to 23g

with 2400 17-18g would get you in the same ballpark
I ran out of it and wanted to try something different and will be using IMR 4227

my gun is a 6.5" Smith PC model
I'll try to remember to post my results
btw, I use Starline brass and Winchester WLP primers
I would save the mag primers for H110/296 which is best used for full power loads and is dangerous to download

hardcast bullets have less friction and will yeild more FPS with less powder and pressure

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 09:34
Check with Grizzly Ammo... they have some GREAT loads for .44.  http://www.grizzlycartridge.com
Mike loaded some 458 Lott for me... shoots better than anything else I have found.  I also got some .458 WinMag from him right before he quit loading it... great stuff.  I've heard nothing but good about all his ammo.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2009 at 00:41
Originally posted by G Dubya P G Dubya P wrote:

Crosswire,

By mild I mean a load that a new 44 mag shooter can use for practice and for taking deer.

Here's another dumb question (based on Crosswire's response).  Are hard cast lead bullets milder to shoot that jacketed bullets?

Please ignore Crosswire's response the 23.3gr 2400 load was an old Sierra jacketed hollow point load from the 70's their manual no longer lists that load because it is TOO HOT.  21 grains of 2400 would be a hot load for a jacketed bullet way over for most cast lead bullets. Not all cast lead bullets are rock hard "Kieth" style bullets which can be pushed hot. You can push a jacketed bullet faster than a solid lead bullet. Either will kill Bambi and I doubt you will have much trouble tracking if your shot placement is reasonably good.  I shot one with a .357 and it dropped like a rock but I've shot one with a 50 cal musket using a Barnes copper hollowpoint and had it go 50 yds but he was a really big deer. The load with 8.0 gr Unique that I mentioned earlier has proven effective and is relatively pleasant to shoot.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2009 at 09:22
usually 1000 fps to 1100 fps is considered the cut off point for cast bullets because they will strip the lands faster than obtruation and inertia can seal the base of the bullet, this is why gas checks are used for the same bullets at higher velocity. Hardness is determined by the percentage off antimony, and the additionof tin helps the metal flow into the moulds better. they can also be dropped in cold water from the moulds to increase the hardness. reliable expansion of HP jacketed is just as iffy as HP in self defense loads. and will poke a hole just as often as a hard cast. Powders in the medium burning index will give the best results, with loads in the 1100 range, such as universal,hs-6, 
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2009 at 15:14
When I first started to load for my S&W Mod. 29 6 1/2" bbl, I only loaded 44spl.. My first load was a 255grain Kieth style with a gas check and 17 grains of 2400 (this is from memory from a long time ago). This was close to the maximum in my old Lyman manual (44 Mag. started at 18 grains of 2400) for the 44spl.. I cast the bullits useing Lyman's no. 2 alloy formula, and sized, lubed, and seated the gascheck in a Lyman luber/sizer. This was a bruiser of a load, and I eventually backed off to my next most accurate load for this bullit, which was 14.5 grains of 2400. I eventually started loading cast bullits in the 205-215 grain weight to reduce recoil and duplicate the Remington and Winchester 200 grain 44spl loads (my duty ammo). I did get some leading with the 17grain 2400 load, but a Lewis lead remover took care of it.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
G Dubya P View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G Dubya P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2009 at 02:52
Thanks for the replies.  Keep 'em comin'.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2009 at 10:33
here's some good reading
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/topic,172149.0.html

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/topic,171898.0.html

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/topic,172062.0.html

hardcast bullets are recommended over jacketed HPs for hunting by the majority of people on the graybeard handgun hunting forum

I just got in 500 leadhead 255g Keith style for my new Smith PC 6.5"

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic