OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leaded Optical Glass

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlevineyard1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leaded Optical Glass
    Posted: March/08/2009 at 15:54
I am hoping someone can clear me up on the subject of optical glass and lead. I heard it said that using lead in optical glass makes a better glass. I am not sure if this is correct or not, but if it is why are so many makers using lead free glass? Or is there more to this  than I am aware of?  thank-you
littlevineyard1
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 16:09

My understanding is that adding lead oxide increases the density of glass and increases the refractive index.  I would think the disuse of lead free glass is a cost measure but also so these companies can appear greener in their advertising.

Check this article for more info:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_glass

Ilya or Tom would be the SME's here. 

Edited by Dogger - March/09/2009 at 05:59
God save the Empire!
littlevineyard1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlevineyard1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 16:21
Thank-you Dogger for the very informative web site and its info. I understand why we have leadfree paint and drinking vessels for digested lead is extremely toxic and am glad we no longer use leaded gasoline asbtreathing the lead is also toxic.Other than being "policically correct and appearing greener I just do not ubnderstand why we do not use it to make superior glass
    Calling a spade a spade , yes lead can be toxic if handled incorrectly but its not evil!!!Maybe it just has gotten too much bad press
littlevineyard1
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 17:13
I used to work for government, environmental in the landfill and methane gas treatment field and all of these things lead, thinners, solvents, as you know asbestos,different ingredients for paint that create high VOC's ,aerosol the list goes on and on some of these things dont due damage till later then it's too late! no matter how well it works if it's bad get rid of it now think of the future  and your KIDS.  Smile        in case your thinking what does methane gas have to do with lead it doesn't but I had to have one year of schooling and training to obtain this job and since it is Enviro! you have to learn it all! then refresher courses every year after.

Edited by rifle looney - March/08/2009 at 17:30
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 17:44
Isn't arsenic also a part of the process as a flux?
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 17:50
I believe it is? it is still used widely?
Mangudai_87 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mangudai_87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 21:12
Well, there shouldn't really be a problem with a lead in the lens, I mean seriously, its not like we sit in front of the T.V chewing on the damn thing lol.
"Even a man who has nothing, can still offer his life."
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 22:21
The problem is not the lead in the lens, it's the lead (and other stuff) produced as a byproduct of making glass.

One of the reasons Redfield shut down forever was an extensive pollution problem caused by (from what I understand) just dumping toxic chemicals outside the factory.

Europe has long been a lot more conscious of such problems, because they have been polluted for many more years. This is why many European countries have banned lead in the manufacture of many things. It isn't the product that are the problem, but the by-products of manufacture.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 22:25
Thank you John I just didn't want to go on and on this subject of toxic pollutants really irks me after being in the field. and people need to wake up and learn. this dumping is going on in your own backyard! Ive seen it ...this is why I no longer do this type of work.
littlevineyard1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlevineyard1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 18:27
thank-you all who replied. I am alot more informed nowthan before and i can put up with a little less optical quality to help save the planet!!! I do believe that eventually the optical engineers will figure it all out anyway
littlevineyard1
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 21:48
They already have. One of the reasons the recent lightweight binoculars like the superb Zeiss FL's are so light is that the glass doesn't have any lead in it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic