OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > The Range Report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

XOTIC 4-16x56 Mission Complete

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: XOTIC 4-16x56 Mission Complete
    Posted: March/08/2009 at 15:32
As many of you know, Chris sent me a subject scope for destruction (I'm good at that).  As with the Simmons Blazer, the objective was to try to recreate the "shoot the sniper" shot, through the scope.  I set up an identical shot to the one with the Blazer, 100yd, scope at "sniper hide" position.  I had to rezero the Lott, because for this shot, I used the heavy loaded 500gr dangerous game ammo.  Results were nearly identical.  The convex lenses, I believe, will nearly always deflect even the slightest off-center impact, virtually eliminating the possibility of a complete penetration through the ocular lens.  However, I am now searching for a 1960's vintage Russian sniper scope to test this again.  The scope that Gunny Hathcock, according to legend, shot through would have had flat glass lenses and fewer lenses, partially due to the fact that it was most likely a fixed 4x.  Once again, I do not believe, even though the bullet did not penetrate the ocular, that the opposing sniper would have survived... he at least would have been blind in one eye.  The U.S. Optics scope traveled about 20feet through the air for this shot, further than the Blazer.  

Sniper:

The deflection on this shot was center left, took off the windage knob.  I held a half horizontal reticle low and half vertical right (due to wind...appears wind was stronger than I estimated, I did not measure.)

If you notice, there is a circular "ding" on the interior of the ocular. I believe the round plastic piece you see in the background hit the ocular and made a complete circular impression. 

Chris, if you have to report back, the scope is DESTROYED.  I do not believe it is repairable.  

Anybody got any old Russian stuff laying around????  Or ANYTHING ELSE.  I really like this, this is more fun than actually USING a scope for a shot.  ANYTHING... I'll shoot it.  

Edited by Kickboxer - March/10/2009 at 11:13
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 16:03
Feast your eyes upon this beauty, my friend.....Naughty

A Kmart 3-9x All-Pro, just BEGGING to be corn holed. Big Grin
The reticle is crooked as a dogs hind leg inside.    

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 16:14
THAT has real potential... 
Address on the way.  

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 16:48
I tried that with an old tasco that was broken.  I even tried to calculate the angle at which the bullet would be dropping and set the scope at that angle.  Now I only tried it with my 17 hmr.  I know what you are thinking. That won't do anything.  Well is shattered all but the last lens.  If I could get my hands on another old scope, I would try it with my 22-250. 

I would agree that the curve of the lens has something to do with it.  I also think that the scopes with fewer lenses in them would have a better chance of the bullet making it through.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 17:46

Nicely done!!
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 17:49
Get Your Popcorn Ready
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 20:01
 Kickboxer- just curious, what is the nose profile of the bullet you used?  (I'm thinking a dead-flat nose might penetrate straighter than anything else.)
  A flat meplat against a flat lens might just do it!
(Although Gunny was certainly using spitzers of some type...) 

Looking forward to more mindless destruction!
matc View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 20:32
That is cool I have been  wanting to try that myself. I think for that to work you will have to shoot at a longer range. this will slow the bullet down so that it will not deflect so much.

matt
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 20:50
This is entertaining ,  thanks so much Kickboxer if you need an other scope I have a Bushnell trophy just sitting. Wonder if ...they will warranty it under these conditions?   Shocked

Edited by rifle looney - March/08/2009 at 20:50
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 22:19
I am sending the Blazer in for warranty work, but my wife refused to do it.  

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 22:20
Originally posted by matc matc wrote:

That is cool I have been  wanting to try that myself. I think for that to work you will have to shoot at a longer range. this will slow the bullet down so that it will not deflect so much.

matt
Exactly what velocity do you think might be "reasonable" so that it will not "deflect so much"? 

Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 22:34
Noticed that the scope does not appear to be restrained.
What happens if you add resistance as though scope is mounted to a rifle ( reasonable inexpensive facimile for testing of course) and provided with some artificial shoulder pressure to simulate a rifle in  the hands of a shooter??
Think that might over come the lens curvature issue?
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 22:57
Originally posted by Mike McDonald Mike McDonald wrote:

Noticed that the scope does not appear to be restrained.
What happens if you add resistance as though scope is mounted to a rifle ( reasonable inexpensive facimile for testing of course) and provided with some artificial shoulder pressure to simulate a rifle in  the hands of a shooter??
Think that might over come the lens curvature issue?
 Good question.  I noticed that Kickboxer mentioned that the heavier scope flew further upon impact, telling me that it offered more resistance, and as a result soaked up more of the bullets' energy as it passed through it.
 I probably didn't word that very well, but you know what I mean.
BillyWayne View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyWayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 08:17
AH man.  On Saturday I brought to the dump a Tasco Pronghorn that had a reticle that rotated after every shot.  It was in the X postition when I dumped it and some kid picked it up, looked throught it, and took it home.  Having seen this test I should have kept it.  I do have a Bushnell Banner that someone used to turn their rings with.  It has a nice dent in it but could be blown up like the death star.  Why is it that we love to blow things up?  My wife does not get it. 
John 11:35
The're taking the hobbits to Isengard!!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 10:31
Actually, what you can't see in the picture is a pretty hefty tree limb that is butted up to the ocular end of the scope.  Part of the limb you can see  to the left.  It had quite a bit of resistance, but when the deflection occurs, the scope tends to kick-off in the direction of the deflection. Next time, I am going to try tying it down with the limb supporting.  However, I'm going to have to get a new limb. The one I used for the two efforts is impact shattered and will no longer provide a resistance.

SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 12:25
KB, sure you know this, but Myth Busters did the same test.  To get a full pass through, they had use an AP round.  They had the scope mounted on a dummy rifle and were shooting a M1.  They did not say what scope they were shooting at.  They had a gelatin head behind the scope that "caught" the tungsten core.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 12:30
i would have to think that if you used a big enough gun with a tough enough bullet it would work. i cannot believe the lott bullets deflected that badly from just glass

Edited by pyro6999 - March/09/2009 at 13:57
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 13:54
I AM using the Lott.  First scope shot with 350gr soft point, MV 2000fps, about 1800 at impact.  Second scope with DG ammo, 500gr Hornady, 2300FPs, about 2100 at impact, 5000ft/lb energy.  

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 13:55
Originally posted by SD Dog SD Dog wrote:

KB, sure you know this, but Myth Busters did the same test.  To get a full pass through, they had use an AP round.  They had the scope mounted on a dummy rifle and were shooting a M1.  They did not say what scope they were shooting at.  They had a gelatin head behind the scope that "caught" the tungsten core.

I have some 30-06AP.  Maybe I'll try that next time.  

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 13:55
hmm thats surprising that it would deflect those heavy bullets! we may have to go to gun shows and buy boxes of junk scopes from dealers just to make this work
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic