OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

375 H&H Mag for whitetails

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 19:02

"Hell, I was THERE!" is one of the best books I've ever read. (Elmer Kieth)

He was not a big man, but he was a TOUGH man!

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 19:06
I'm going to have to build some more bookshelves...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 19:09
That is a good thing! Wink
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 19:18
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

You might want to check with Mark (Cheaptrick) about that. He has one that doubles as a loading bench!
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 19:22
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

You might want to check with Mark (Cheaptrick) about that. He has one that doubles as a loading bench!

was that thing the real deal ?I thought it was a joke!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 19:22

I am still in the building stages on my house.  Will just expand the wall space consumed by shelving.  
Just ordered "Hell, I Was There"
Trying to find "Safari".

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 19:38
Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

was that thing the real deal ?I thought it was a joke!
 HOO BOY!  I'd hate to be you right about now!  You're gonna get it!   Whacker
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 19:42
In all seriousness if it is the real deal and it works for him GREAT he must have an issue with space?  Yep, Thought So
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 20:47
You will destroy less meat with a .375 H&H using 270-300 grain bullets than you will with a .270/7mag class gun, guaranteed. Those bullets hardly get chance to expand in a deer. Though, they will put them down for sure.
I have shot 400 pound black bear with a 270 grain Cor-Lokt and the bullet wasn't done expanding.
The .375 H&H is fine for deer if you don't mind the recoil.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 22:24
Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

In all seriousness if it is the real deal and it works for him GREAT he must have an issue with space?  Yep, Thought So
Nah, just lots of bookshelves still to build.  LOTS of space, just LOTS of bookshelves still to build.  

Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 01:28
Originally posted by pass-thru pass-thru wrote:

I'm just sort of bouncing the idea around that I want to buy a Sako.  Already have several rifles suited for deer from 30-30 to 30-06, but nothing larger than that.  I will never hunt in Africa, and there is only a so-so chance that I will ever hunt anything large than a black bear in north America.  But if I'm going to rationalize buying a Sako, I figure I should at least add something to expand the versatility of my arsenal.
.............Since your not going to Africa or hunt anything larger than a black bear, then why not rationalize better in expanding your arsenal and buy a .338 of some kind. A 338 Federal, a 338 RCM, a 338 Marlin Express or even a 338 Win Mag. Sako has one 338 or another.

Hey! You can use a 460 Wby to kill a mouse if you want to!!...Laugh

But, you don`t need to go to Africa to own a 375. If you ever someday foresee a big bear, bison or a moose hunt, a .375 is about as perfect a caliber for that game as you can have. 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 09:15
im going to try it out this fall, im currently in the process of trying some 270gr hornady bullets. we will see how they shoot, if they dont work to well i may try the 260gr accubombs or even the 250gr sierra game kings. if a guy wanted to really get crazy with the cheese whiz you could load up a 210gr barnes tsx and let her rip at like 3000 fps. 
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
BillyWayne View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyWayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 09:20
The largest caliber I currently own is a 308.  I sold a 30/06 because I got used to 243 and 6.5x55 and the odd-six just hurt.  How bad does the 375 kick? 
Sincerely,
Wuss
John 11:35
The're taking the hobbits to Isengard!!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 09:23
well my gun weighs in at 10lbs 6oz so with a full power load with a 270gr bullet at 2700 fps you are looking at 33 ft lbs of recoil. if you were to have a 7lb 30-06 and loaded a 180gr bullet to a published max load of 2872 fps from noslers new manual you would experience about 27ft lbs of recoil.

Edited by pyro6999 - March/09/2009 at 09:25
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyWayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 09:59
Ohhh..  Not as bad as I thought but more than I can handle. 
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 10:05
Yeah, the .375 doesn't kick nearly as much as most people who've never shot one think it does. I have used both the .375 (and similar cartridges like the various 9.3mm's) on a lot of deer and deer-sized game both in North America and Africa, and they work very well. The animals go down pretty quickly (though not necessarily faster than when shot with, say, a .30-06), and with most bullets the meat damage is minimal.

A lot of people choose a lighter .375 bullet when hunting deer, apparently because they're afraid the heavier bullets won't open up. But the heavy bullets expand quite well. In fact almost all expanding bullets will be opened up completely by the time their length enters the animal--if they're going to open up at all. (Non-expansion normally occurs at too-low velocities, usually at longer ranges, much further than we usually shoot deer.) I have shot many animals with 300-grain Nosler Partitions handloaded to 2550 fps, and they always open up nicely, as do 286-grain 9.3mm Partitions at 2400-2500. The reason many people think such bullets don't expand much is they look at the exit hole (and on deer-sized animals there always IS an exit hole) and not the inside damage.

Aside from my own experience, I have a good friend in Pennsylvania who has been hunting whitetails with Sako carbine in .375 for many years. Of course has has taken it to Africa as well, but he really likes how his "little" Sako puts deer down and, when they do go a little ways, always leaves a blood trail--and plenty of eating meat.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 10:18
what gets me about recoil is that all of the "experts" say that anything over 20ftlbs will cause most shooters to develop a flinch, my .264 win mag with a 140gr bullet is right at 20lbs, and thats not too bad, my .300 win makes 28.35 ft lbs with a 180gr and that is more of a faster kick. i think the speed of the recoil is what gets people more than the actual amount of recoil. the .375 will roll instead of kick, where as stuff like the .30-378 wby is a swift mule kick to the shoulder, i think the speed of the recoil is the difference.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 10:35
Actually, there is some scientific evidence that SUSTAINED shooting with a shoulder firearm that recoils more than 20 foot-pounds will cause about any human to start flinching. That's reason that a lot of trapshooters eventually start flinching and go to a release trigger, or (sometimes) lighter loads. It's also the reason that a lot of target shooters have gone to lighter cartridges for High Power competition. But usually big game hunters don't shoot all that many rounds. The most I've ever shot out of a .375 in a single day with full-powder loads was about 35 rounds, while working up some loads, and even then I spread those out between shooting some lighter cartridges. And I used shoulder protection--one reason the Lead Sled has become so popular among hunters who regularly shoot cartridges with more kick than the .30-06 (or a .264).
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyWayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 10:40
I think a good recoil pad helps.  I shoot a 12 gauge shotgun with some heavy loads but with the thick recoil pad it does seem to "roll" and not snap and bit.  Although a few times I felt like I broke my cheek.  My odd-six had a solid butt and it bit into my shoulder.  I do a lot of bench shooting where the kick is noticeable.  Offhand felt recoil is a lot less. 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 10:42
i know i was excited when i got my lead sled for christmas from my dad. i had a 300wsm in a browning composite stalker. and it weighed next to nothing, and because of that it kicked pretty good, it would make over 30ftlbs of recoil, but the speed of it made everything seem worse than it probably was. i tried a limbsaver on it and i saw 20% reduction in recoil, but it was still annoying to shoot off of sand bags and a remington tripod style front rest.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic