OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

375 H&H Mag for whitetails

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pass-thru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 375 H&H Mag for whitetails
    Posted: March/08/2009 at 13:51
Is a 375 H&H Mag too much gun for whitetails?  I know much smaller calibers can do the job easily, just wondering if anybody has used them for whitetails and what the downside is, if any.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 13:55
375 H&H Mag for whitetails?  Oh No, I use a wrecking ball to tap in drywall nails all the time.   LOL  Roll on Floor Laughing
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 13:56
Have never used my 375 for deer, but if thats what you want to do with it, I see nothing wrong with doing so, after all dead is dead.  I'd also drop down in bullet weight, something in the 240 gr area would flatten it out alittle and provide some expansion.  Just my thoughts.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 14:07
I'm sorry I thought this was a joke!!! 

OK, I'm back!!!  I would worry about how much meat is left after I pull the trigger.  Hugh racks are nice, but you can boil'em, microwave'em, BBQ'em or deep fry'em.  Ya just can't EAT'em.  I think I'd lose a lot of meat in the freezer using a 375 H&H on the whitetails around here!!!

Just me. 
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 14:11
 Way more than you need, but nothing really wrong with it. If I had a .375, I'd surely shoot a couple whitetails with it. It would be a great confidence builder for going after bigger game later on.
  Heck, I'd shoot rabbits with it and reduced handloads!
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 14:16
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

I'm sorry I thought this was a joke!!! 

OK, I'm back!!!  I would worry about how much meat is left after I pull the trigger.  Hugh racks are nice, but you can boil'em, microwave'em, BBQ'em or deep fry'em.  Ya just can't EAT'em.  I think I'd lose a lot of meat in the freezer using a 375 H&H on the whitetails around here!!!

Just me. 

True to a point, but a LOT would depend on the bullet you were using.  A tough .375 bullet at 2700 fps. probably isn't going to wreck as much meat on a deer as a 140 Ballistic Tip out of a 7mm Magnum, on a similar shot. It will just go through a few more birch trees afterward!
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 14:17
 I honestly believe that ,if one is available, you choose the right bullet you can use any cartridge on deer without alot of meat loss.  I'm using my 9.3x62mm this yr with 285gr Privi Partizan factory stuff and 270gr Speer handloads. I won't accept excessive meat damage from a cartridge/bullet.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 14:19
It will just go through a few more birch trees afterward!

OK, I will modify my statement!!! But the defense rests!!!   LOL
pass-thru View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pass-thru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 14:26
I'm just sort of bouncing the idea around that I want to buy a Sako.  Already have several rifles suited for deer from 30-30 to 30-06, but nothing larger than that.  I will never hunt in Africa, and there is only a so-so chance that I will ever hunt anything large than a black bear in north America.  But if I'm going to rationalize buying a Sako, I figure I should at least add something to expand the versatility of my arsenal.
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 14:31
Not to compare with but people use 45-70s all the time so what the heck!  my uncle uses a 338 for every thing from deer to grizzlies. the big guns are just heavier so you will want to consider that unless you are stand or blind hunting!
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 14:38
 First off rationalizing has no place when it comes to a buying firearms! It'll ruin a perfectly good rifle loonie. Get it and use it. In all seriousness though,the wrong larger caliber bullet has a real good chance of acting like a soild with minimal damage pass throughs. Pick your shots carefully. I plan on it until I find the proper bullet for my 9.3(if there is one).
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 14:41
Oh, IF you what me to give you reason to buy a 375 H&H Mag.  Because everybody needs an Artillery piece in their personal arsenal.  You never know when a cape buffalo gets loose around town!!!   LOL

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 14:52
 YEP! That's why pyro got his.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 16:35
Since I started using my .458 Lott for deer hunting I have actually had less "bloodshot" meat, the deer goes nowhere but straight down, it is the ideal deer rifle.  .375 H&H seems like it would do well.  I may not ever deer hunt with anything other than the .458 Lott again... unless I get a .375.  Remember, our forefathers hunted everything with .50cal Hawken and such.  It just didn't attain the MV of today's BIG guns.  A .50 hole is still a .50 hole, no matter how fast it is traveling.  They invented "barking squirrels" to be able to use one rifle for all hunting.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 16:39
Agree with the above.

If this was a first and only rifle purchase for whitetails I'd say a big NO WAY.  But if you already have human size rifles that you have used for deer and just want something different, can tolerate the increased recoil and stay accurate, then go for it and have a good time!

God save the Empire!
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 17:47
Elmer Keith thought that a .375r double gun was the perfect deer rifle.  YMMV
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 18:27
Originally posted by silver silver wrote:

A new name for me, but now I am in the market for his book "Safari".  

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 18:33
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Originally posted by silver silver wrote:

A new name for me, but now I am in the market for his book "Safari".  

Are you kidding me ?  or have you just never read his stuff?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 18:36
Never heard of the man before...

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 18:42
Most definitely look for some of his material I believe you will really appreciate the man he is really known for handguns but also a BIG rifle guy he liked large caliber the most.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic