OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Shotgun / BlackPowder Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bushnell Holo Sight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flintlock1776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bushnell Holo Sight
    Posted: March/08/2009 at 12:57

Mossberg Ultimag 835 12Ga with Primos Jelly Head .690 and Bushnell Holo Sight

20 yards picture on left; 35 yards picture on right. Remington Heavy Turkey Load 31/2" #6

HEVI-SHOT 12 Ga 3/12" #6 40 YARDS!!!

Marines

Remember the 343

George Johnson, Ladder 157 / Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157 / Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2 / Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 13:16

Interesting test! Thank you for posting that.  I would think all those are killing patterns on gobblers, not? That 40 yard  Hevi-Shot pattern is awesome!   
 I'm going to be taking up turkey hunting this spring, and am trying to figure out what ammo to use. I have always favored smaller shot sizes and more open chokes than my hunting buddies did for most upland game, but turkey hunting is a whole new ballgame. That 40 yard  Hevi-Shot pattern is awesome!
  My friends are recommending 2 ouces of #5 shot.  I would tend to lean toward #6 or even 7-1/2 if I could be sure penetration wasn't going to suffer  enough to matter. I probably wouldn't shoot beyond thirty yards.
 Anybody have some real-life opinions?
Flintlock1776 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flintlock1776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 14:38
I would stick with Hevy Shot.

Don't over choke your gun, I used Primos Jelly Head at .690 constriction. I use 3 1/2"  with 2 1/4 oz  with a 4,5 then 6 loaded n my gun.

Try 4,5 and 6 and see what works best for you with perhaps the Primos Jelly Head that they make for Remington, Mossberg, Beretta,Benelli, Browning Inv., Winchester,Weatherby (see Cableas online)

Next week I will go to the range again and try a 60 yard shot to get the pattern. I believe that is the max range for Hevi Shot in my gun.
Remember the 343

George Johnson, Ladder 157 / Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157 / Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2 / Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 16:15
I have a Poly-Choke on a 28-inch  barrel with a 3-inch chambered Remington 1100 Magnum. I haven't fired it yet so it will be interesting to see.
 What would you consider a minimum number of pellets on a turkey head target such as you posted to be reliably effective?
 I assume you mean that you load your gun so you would fire the #6 shot first, then the #5, and the #4 last, if things didn't go as planned?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flintlock1776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 17:13
I would send an email to Remington and ask if the choke/load will be OK in your gun. I just wrote to Hevi Shot to confirm my set up is fine. Looks good to me :-)
Remember the 343

SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 20:20
Flint - I run the same setup for Turkey less the halo sight.  Do you have a 28" barrel or a shorter one?  I had been shooting Federal 3" 1.75oz #5 with the flight control wad.  My patterns at 40yds look like your 20yd patterns.  That hevi-shot pattern is amazing.  Might have to give it a try.

Edited by SD Dog - March/09/2009 at 20:34
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flintlock1776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 23:10
28"
Remember the 343

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2009 at 19:47
Nice patterns, I don't think you will have any problems with the gobblers. The Primos looks like a winner.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flintlock1776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2009 at 18:10
Originally posted by SD Dog SD Dog wrote:

Flint - I run the same setup for Turkey less the halo sight.  Do you have a 28" barrel or a shorter one?  I had been shooting Federal 3" 1.75oz #5 with the flight control wad.  My patterns at 40yds look like your 20yd patterns.  That hevi-shot pattern is amazing.  Might have to give it a try.

Let me know when you do and post some photos
Remember the 343

SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2009 at 19:08
Sure will.  Have to see what the weekend brings.  Always have shot #5's, will have to give the 6's a try too.  Nice thing about the hevi-shot is you can move down in pellet size but not give up the terminal performance plus more pellets headed for the target.  The old win-win situation. 
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flintlock1776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2009 at 23:48
Good luck & post photos of the results!Indian
Remember the 343

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic