OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Extended Eye Relief scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extended Eye Relief scope
    Posted: March/08/2009 at 01:55
NIK8481 Nikon 2.5-8x28 Encore EER Scope                                                                                         Nikon 2.5-8x28 Encore EER Scope
  • Matte
  • BDC
  • 1"
SWFA: $289.95
More Info... Buy Now
Are any of you familiar with this scope?  It appears to be an extended eye relief scope to mount as a scout scope.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 03:29
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

NIK8481 Nikon 2.5-8x28 Encore EER Scope                                                                                         Nikon 2.5-8x28 Encore EER Scope
  • Matte
  • BDC
  • 1"
SWFA: $289.95
More Info... Buy Now
Are any of you familiar with this scope?  It appears to be an extended eye relief scope to mount as a scout scope.
.............Why sure!!!...Have two identical Nikons and want to sell one....Look under the "optics for sale" section. See both my posts! I used it as a scout scope on my 300 WSM Ruger Frontier. Mine are not the Encore with the BDC. I have the nikoplex. Not a BDC fan.  
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 14:12
How do the optics compare to the Monarchs?
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 14:19
 I've read on this forum awhile back that many considered it to be one of the best overall "scout" type scopes out there.  I'd like to get one set up on my M48 Yugoslvian Mauser.
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 14:21
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

How do the optics compare to the Monarchs?
.......The 2.5-8x28 Nikon EER UCC,,,, is a Monarch!.......Just as good as any other conventional Monarch I`ve looked through.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 16:32
So do you have any issues with using a scope in the scout forward mounted configuration.  Do you find that it works better at lower powers than at the high end?   Does it seem to come onto target rapidly?

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 16:39

So do you have any issues with using a scope in the scout forward mounted configuration.  Do you find that it works better at lower powers than at the high end?   Does it seem to come onto target rapidly?
.........The nature of the scouts as well as any revolver scope, is the narrower FOV.

No problem with on target speed set on the low magnification end. Both eyes open aiming. While on the 8x it is as precise as a conventional scope. 
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 17:11
Thanks for the info, not sure if I want one or not I've seen some rugers set up to work with a scout scope and while it looks a little funny after years of standard scopes I have been curious about what the advantage would  be. 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 17:44

Thanks for the info, not sure if I want one or not I've seen some rugers set up to work with a scout scope and while it looks a little funny after years of standard scopes I have been curious about what the advantage would  be. 
.................The only Rugers set up for the scouts as far as I know, are the Frontier compacts. There are some minor advantages to the scouts.

Clear over the receiver (easier access)
Carry the rifle with the hand over the action.
Can`t ever get scope whacked.
Scout scope weighs down the barrel a little more for better steadiness.

Since I have the Frontier version, I can do both types of scopes. When using a conventional scope, the weight of the scout base which always remains on the barrel, helps to steady offhand shots as well. 
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 19:31
Way to go Wes!!  Now you got me thinking about one of these for my 45/70 which is already set up for a scout scope.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 19:49

Big Squeeze explained the advantages pretty well.  I think one of the biggest is access to the receiver when using stripper clips. That is certainly more of a tactical/military advantage than a hunting one, though.

Another is that I can use a mount that fits into the rear sight assembly without permanantly altering the configuration of an historically significant firearm by drilling and tapping the receiver. I'm talking through my nose on this one, though as I haven't ever used one that was set up correctly. I need to put one together so I can speak with some authority...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic