OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Opinions of the Weaver Classic 4x32

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Opinions of the Weaver Classic 4x32
    Posted: March/07/2009 at 22:20

Hi,

What do you guys think of the Weaver Classic 4x32 Shotgun scope?

I tried searching the Shotgun/Blackpower forum and it didn't kick out anything.

Mike
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2009 at 23:15
I own two and I've used them on 22s. They are gaining popularity as a hunting/plinking scope with the rimfire set. Parallax free at 50yds, and very bright and clear for the money, great gobs of eye relief. But I believe that they are discontinued. If you've found a source other than SWFA PLEASE do NOT post it. It would be a violation of house rules 

Edited by sholling - March/07/2009 at 23:17
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
mickey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2009 at 23:54
Originally posted by sholling sholling wrote:

I own two and I've used them on 22s. They are gaining popularity as a hunting/plinking scope with the rimfire set. Parallax free at 50yds, and very bright and clear for the money, great gobs of eye relief. But I believe that they are discontinued. If you've found a source other than SWFA PLEASE do NOT post it. It would be a violation of house rules 

Thanks, sholling.

I'vwe been looking and I can find pictures of the scope itself but not of the crosshairs.

So how do the crosshairs lookto you? What configuration are they? How's the thickness of them where they intersect?

Thanks again.

sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 00:22
It's the exact same duplex reticle found in a Weaver RV9 3-9x32 rimfire scope.

The scope itself is roughly 10-1/2" long and has a good inch more eye relief than the RV9. The photo below is the shotgun scope temporarily mounted on a 10/22. With all the eye relief it packs the scope needed to be moved way forward but the iron sights were in the way

For comparison here is the same rifle with a Weaver RV9 mounted after the barrel was changed out.

Edited by sholling - March/08/2009 at 00:24
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

madcratebuilder View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madcratebuilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 07:06
I have a K2.5 and a K4.  They are used on Enfield .303's.  Excellent vintage scopes, always a few on evil bay for reasonable prices.  Rather Plain Jane in appearance, they are tough as nails, very clear optics, particularly for being built in the late fifties, early sixties.
slodancr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slodancr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 07:11
Nice 10/22.  Where'd you get that stock?  looks custom.  I've been searching for something close to that style.
"None but an armed nation can dispense with a standing army. To keep ours armed and disciplined is therefore at all times important." - Thomas Jefferson
wolfee View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 09:08
Micky, I wasn't aware they marketed this as a shotgun scope.  If it is similar to the R4 rimfire version, then you might want to read my old review of this scope.  

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=945&KW=&PID=5329#5329
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 10:36
Slodancr,

The stock is "Grade A" by S&K. IF you like this one you'll love their "Extra Fancy".

Wolfee,

The Classic rimfire and the Classic shotgun scope are a bit different animals. The rimfire is a 4x28 and the shotgun is a 4x32. The shotgun scope is also longer with much-much more eye relief.

FOV:   22.25’
Eye Relief:   3.5” (feels like more)
OA length:   9.5”
Weight:   8.7 oz.  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic