OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Super Sniper or Millett?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fivefdp1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Super Sniper or Millett?
    Posted: March/07/2009 at 18:06
I just purchased a Remington model 700 Police sniper .308, with heavy barrell, H-S Precision stock, the fancy trigger, all the bells and whistles.  The only delimma is that I cannot decide between the Super Sniper 10X or 16X, or the Millett 4-16X50.  I have never used a fixed power scope and have often used variable power.  I would appreciate any and all replys, Thanks you!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2009 at 18:13
Welcome to Optics Talk.

Super Sniper, hands down.

I own the 10x SS and have used the Millet in question. I much prefer the former, though the Millet isn't entirely junk either.  
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2009 at 18:14
I haven't used either, but from reading the posts of the professionals here, I'm guessing the concensus is going to be the super sniper 10X.  Big Smile
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2009 at 18:15
You laid out some good cash for that gun, put a good scope on it. . . SUPER SNIPER!

Edited by rifle looney - March/07/2009 at 18:16
fivefdp1010 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fivefdp1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2009 at 19:43
Well, it seems the consesus seems to be in!  I think the Super Sniper is the way to go. As previously stated I have never used a fixed power scope, however I'm not a complete idiot, I think I will have no problems...lol.  And you're right I did throw down some serious cash.  I have been wanting this particular rifle for some time and seemed to never be able to get it, thank God for tax returns.  Thanks guys!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fivefdp1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 12:37
I would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has used either of theses scopes.
matc View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 18:04

I don;t know what one is better but If you walk into a ford dealer ship and ask if you should buy a chevy what do you think they will say ?

It is hard to get a unbiased reply when super sniper is made for SWFA

Before I get trashed I am not saying that you guys don't know what you are talking about and that the ss is better but I have seen on other sites that the other was preferred.WHY?
if the ss is so much better hands down

matt
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 18:08
Do you not see that those very same people are not here on this forum? whats the reason for that? take a look at snipers hide and their reviews everyone knows that forum. also I believe the SS won the military contract? so that says a lot.

Edited by rifle looney - March/08/2009 at 18:09

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 18:19
Originally posted by matc matc wrote:

matt

Well Matt, I prefer the SS because it's simpler being a fixed 10x, not as bulky, didn't have the big ass SF wheel, rear focus, had better glass, turrets that I liked better, no crappy lit reticle and I just like the Super Sniper better overall.

Is that OK Matt, or I'm I just saying all this because I'm a SWFA shill? Big Grin

I tried the Millet out Matt and didn't think it was all that hot, but like I said earlier, I wouldn't consider it "junk" either. It was better than I thought it would be, but I couldn't wait to get my SS back on.  

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 19:00

I don;t know what one is better but If you walk into a ford dealer ship and ask if you should buy a chevy what do you think they will say ?

It is hard to get a unbiased reply when super sniper is made for SWFA

Before I get trashed I am not saying that you guys don't know what you are talking about and that the ss is better but I have seen on other sites that the other was preferred.WHY?

matt
Matt,
 There are a lot of reasons other sites may choose another optic over the SS, not the least of which might be professional jealousy.  Other reasons might be that they might not actually have USED one or both of the optics in question but merely like to pontificate (one of the reasons I started "hanging out" at this forum... less pontification, more information based upon experience... not to say there isn't some, just much less) and seem more learned than they actually are.  
 There are a number of reasons someone might choose a Millet over the SS, but quality, repeatability, durability are not among them.  You are trying to compare a variable to a fixed power scope, which is almost a non-starter.  However, I have used both, don't own either.  The only reason I don't own a SS is because I have just had other priorities and have not had the specific instance that requires me to get one.  I DO intend to own one in the near future.  The reasons I don't own a Millet of the type you describe are several, but one in particular is that I just don't have confidence in it yet.  In my mind, I need to test it more before I can comfortably say I would use it on anything other than an AR-15 or similar rifle.  I don't have one of those, so I just don't have the need for one.  
It is very difficult to ask someone, even a very experienced rifleman, to make a valid comparison of a fixed vs variable scope and then to make a suggestion.  You asked and you got honest opinions.  
I have NO affiliation with SWFA other than this forum and a few scope purchases.  I will, however, go out on a limb and say that you will not find better customer service anywhere, you will not find more integrity anywhere, and IF they offer up a product with the SWFA "stamp" on it, it will be a cut above similarly priced items.  In the case of the SS, it is better than that.  All that said, I don't believe anyone who has responded to you has indicated what YOU should purchase, only their own experience and comfort level based upon that experience.   ONCE AGAIN, YOU asked.  
If you don't want the answer, don't ask the question.

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
matc View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 20:17

I don't go on sniper forums but don't millett have a good review on one of those I thought I read ?  maybe not

I think cheaptrick is right on the fixed power being a better choice.
more simple.

The other sites are not owned  by a scope com. So there would be no resone to lie.

But I have also seen on them sites say that ss is better. I think that they are very close with what I read . I think that millett and ss both have a following .

someday I hope to see one of these ss 

I am a big boy so I can take the answer  
matt

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 20:23
Matt, I as well don't own one but plan on it soon just from the positive response I have seen on this forum and others I have seen more negative towards the millet. And to tell you the truth I once bought some Millet rings and they sucked big time, and their add says if you like are rings you will love are scopes ......not me I wont even consider....IMO      Wink
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fivefdp1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 20:33
Well, Matt, I didn't mean to get you into so much trouble.  I have read all the positive feedback from here and other sites about the Super Sniper, we are all in agreement that they are great.  However the only "positive" feedback I get on the Millett is from my local gun dealer who readily promotes Millett, Nikon, and NCstar?  I appreciate all the feedback that you guys have given, I will make my decision by Thursday of this week (thats payday)...lol.   Thank all of you!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 22:17

I don't go on sniper forums but don't millett have a good review on one of those I thought I read ?  maybe not

more simple.

The other sites are not owned  by a scope com. So there would be no resone to lie.

But I have also seen on them sites say that ss is better. I think that they are very close with what I read . I think that millett and ss both have a following .

someday I hope to see one of these ss 

I am a big boy so I can take the answer  
matt

Well, big boy, sniper central did do a review of the Millet.  However, if you notice, durability and repeatability were not mentioned, quality was mentioned in the negative.  Sniper's Hide reviewed the SS and ALL of those features were addressed, positively.  There are several other sites which have reviewed the SS, as well.  My personal use has been samples of one, but the overall "feel" goes to SS.  Going into battle, I would take a Super Sniper and leave the Millet behind.  Super Sniper is not the best scope on the market, and it is not the cheapest. However, it is absolutely one of the best around for the price... you get more than what you pay for.  Not many scopes can actually live up to that claim.  

Your implication that someone on this forum may lie is out of line.  Way out of line.  

It is easy to see a Super Sniper scope... buy one.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 02:39

more simple.

The SS a better choice for ME and my shooting.    
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 03:12
Five, I don't have any affiliation with SWFA other than a happy customer. I've owned both scopes. See FOP range report for my review of a SS.  LOL 

Buy the Super Sniper and don't waste your money.
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 03:43
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

See FOP range report for my review of a SS.    

No kidding.   Excellent 
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 03:52
From my experience of Millet sights I would prefer the original sights of my pre 1900 Winchester modell 94 takedown to those lowest quality scopes..........

Technika
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 10:30
I post here but have no formal affiliation with SWFA - just a happy customer.

Millett ain't a bad scope, and I don't think anyone is saying they are.  For the money, you get what you pay for.

The point I think many are trying to make is that the SS is a great deal on a scope, the Millett is an "OK" deal.

Glass is better on the SS, build quality is better (in my opinion), durability is better, precision and accuracy are better, and repeatability is great.

The Millett has had some ups and downs, especially with Bushnell acquiring them.  If you really want the Millett, get the Millett.

I'd recommend the Super Sniper, but that's just me - and many, many more.
Go back to the SuperSniper page and read the reviews listed there, they are by people other than SWFA employees.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 17:00
I have the Millett , 2 of them actually and they are good for the money, I had to send the generation I back to Millett and they immediately sent me a generation 4. I shot cheaptrick`s super sniper and it does have better optics and is easier to use but it is not a variable scope. If you are target shooting the super sniper would be my choice, if you are hunting too I would go with the Millett to be able to use a lower than 10 power and have the benefit of the wider angle of field at 4 power.
just my thoughts on this
Duce  Big Smile
Duce
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic