OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Shotgun / BlackPowder Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Aimpoint T1 meets Mossberg...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2009 at 15:00
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

i'd say i dont have any names for my guns! thats why mark is a boss and me just stupid dump truck driver. me drive dump truck me haul dirt!Bucky

He's FINALLY starting to get it.....Wink

Move this big ass pile dirt over to the other big ass pile of dirt....Bucky  
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2009 at 15:01
you damn messican!!

(you forgot that part!!)
Laugh

Edited by pyro6999 - March/07/2009 at 15:02
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2009 at 16:17
had a class from Awerbach long time ago -- he preffered slugs.
just like handguns its getting enough reloads to practice , do you reload shotgun, if so-- might try a ww yellow wad with 16 -19 grs universal, OO or OOO buck, or #1 if so inclined. and Ballistic Products buffer great practice round. will you be testing any of the sabot slugs, or regular or just stoke it with 00 or #1's -- personally like 3" copper plated buffered 000-- 9 70 gr 9mm rounds going down the hallway at the same time at 1300 fps. also give greater range than #4 or #1 if outdoors,
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2009 at 16:27
I've only used buck shot, at this point, Dale. No reloading gear for it ...YET.
Always said I would never reload for a scatter gun or an AR.
(I just picked up some .223 dies last week.) Roll Eyes

I've considered slugs as well, but only have this factory smooth bore barrel at present.
Thank for your comments.   
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2009 at 18:04
a lot of slug loads are for smoothbore, can't wait to try Federals new offerings, especially Truball to see if they solved some of the badmiton birdie problems. have you shot it much, sometimes dot sights give a really high head position giving the cheek a real whack.
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 20:39
Mark, nice set up.  Have been eying an aimpoint for my 835 for Turykey's but could also work for slugging deer.  How have you liked it so far?  
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2009 at 18:19
Originally posted by SD Dog SD Dog wrote:

Mark, nice set up.  Have been eying an aimpoint for my 835 for Turykey's but could also work for slugging deer.  How have you liked it so far?  

Sorry for the delay.
Just got it mounted on the shotgun, but it worked well on my AR.
I love it! Yippee 
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2009 at 19:03
Might have to give it a try.  As for slugs, since you have a smooth bore, don't worry too much.  Been using as smooth 20ga for years.  Shoot Fed Rifled slugs.  Could keep them on a paper plate at 100yds with iron sights
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2009 at 07:59
Had to move the T1 back towards the breach to get a solid sight picture, but this little optic works well with 00 buck, once I got it sighted in. I'll give some slugs a go next weekend.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2009 at 09:51
 With a smoothbore, the big Foster type or Brenneke slugs will probably work as well or better than sabots.
 Sabots were really developed in conjunction with rifled barrels to extend range and accuracy over conventional slugs, and might not work too well in a smooth bore, although a friend gets good results with his Benelli.
 I've killed a lot of deer out to 100 yards or so with a smoothbore Improved Cylinder barrel on an 870 and Foster ( Remington and Winchester) slugs. A lot of Cape buffalo have been taken with 12 gauge Brennekes. ( By others- my ship hasn't come in with an African hunt yet!)
 I wouldn't even attempt that with a Foster-type. Fine for deer-sized stuff, though.
 As far as cheekweld, a stick-on or lace-on cheek pad would solve that problem easily and economically.
 (If you test fire any sabots, I'd be VERY interested in your findings!)

Edited by RONK - March/22/2009 at 09:55

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2009 at 16:57
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

With a smoothbore, the big Foster type or Brenneke slugs will probably work as well or better than sabots.

Funny you mention that, Ron. I just ordered 50 rounds on Brenneke  KO Foster type slugs online. These "seemed" VERY inexpensive when compared to the other sabots that Brenneke offers. 
I'm primarily looking for self defense rounds, but some occasional deer hunting too.

All advice on slugs or buckshot for my application, greatly appreciated.

RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2009 at 17:45

I know I'm way behind the times in slug technology, so I'll be learning right along with you! My first exposure to Brennekes was over thirty-five years ago when my Dad picked up a couple boxes of this expensive, mysterious German ammo with claimed gnarly powers.

Those were a heavy, solid lead slug that had heavy spiral rifling flutes/ fins, with a thick fiber wad screwed to the rear of it.
 They shot very accurately in his Remington 58 Sportsman 12 gauge slug barrel, (smooth bore). And I'm sure penetrated far better than other hollow fosters, not that it really mattered on broadside deer.
 I think he killed every deer he fired them at, and it was a bunch. (We lived in a shotgun-only deer management zone.)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic