OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Addition to Firearms Battery

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Addition to Firearms Battery
    Posted: March/06/2009 at 22:15
O.K. so, I need some help bouncing some ideas around for a moment...

I have, along with many others around the nation, been feeling a pretty strong desire to buy a handgun before we see too many new restrictions come into play.  What I want is either a small .22 LR pistol (like a Walther P22, S&W 22a, or a Ruger 22/45, etc.) or a high-cap 9mm (we'll forgo brand identification for the moment as I don't want to dilute the discussion with a Glock vs. Smith vs. whatever argument.) Here's my thinking on the subject so far...

Pros - .22
  • Smaller lighter and easier to pack around.
  • Ammo is much, much cheaper and also easier to stockpile in large quantities.
Cons - .22
  • Not much of a defensive round
  • I already own a .22 revolver so, it might be a bit redundant.  It certainly isn't going to be fulfilling any kind of real "need."
Pros - 9mm
  • I don't own one and they may become scarce in the not-too-distant future (at least in high-cap form).
  • Proven defensive round that is also the standard round used  by most militaries and many, many law enforcement agencies (increasing the possibility of obtaining ammo in a SHTF scenario - at least to a higher degree than with other, less popular calibers).
Cons - 9mm
  • I already own a centerfire handgun and so; this gun would not serve to fulfill any actual "need."
  • Larger, heavier, and more difficult to pack around than a smaller gun.
  • Ammo, while not the most expensive, is not cheap.  It is also relatively heavy in large quantities.
Of course, the other (more intelligent?) option is that I could just not buy a new pistol at all and invest the money in stockpiling additional ammo, reloading supplies, etc. for the guns I already have.

I'm curious to see what say you all...

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 22:18
"Of course, the other (more intelligent?) option is that I could just not buy a new pistol at all and invest the money in stockpiling additional ammo, reloading supplies, etc. for the guns I already have."

BINGO!!!

You don't need any advice, you've given it to yourself!!!Thunbs Up

"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 22:34
Devil S&W Model 41
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 22:36
Oh man, that's a nice .22 or a  High Standard Military Model 107.  Tack Hammers with sights!!!
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 23:15
Originally posted by silver silver wrote:

Devil S&W Model 41
My dad has one of these. It is an amazingly accurate gun... though, a bit too big for casual/concealed carry.

Edited by lucznik - March/06/2009 at 23:17
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 23:17
Model 41 Carry, yes!!!   Conceal HAHAHAHAHAHAHA     Sorry!!!!!
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2009 at 05:17
I'd go with a hi-cap 9mm....you'll still be able to buy the .22 later (I hope).   Of course, stocking up on ammo is never a bad plan either.

Edited by swtucker - March/07/2009 at 05:28
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2009 at 06:56
You said that you already have a .22 and a centrefire handgun. 

To me it depends on what your primary purpose would be.  If it is for a higher capacity, concealable, defensive handgun the 9 would seem to be the better choice.  What is your current high power? Assume concealment is an issue. 

If on the other hand it is for a pot shooter in survival mode the .22 would be excellent.  You already have the larger calibre for larger varmint problems.

Of course since you have both scenarios already pretty well covered then I suggest you buy both the .22 and the 9, and stockpile for your other weapon too!
God save the Empire!
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2009 at 07:16

Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

Model 41 Carry, yes!!!   Conceal HAHAHAHAHAHAHA     Sorry!!!!!

Easier to conceal than a Beretta 92, CZ-75, or a large Glock...Dirty Harry  Yep, Thought So  Devil

WWW.formitch.com

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2009 at 10:33
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

You said that you already have a .22 and a centrefire handgun. 

To me it depends on what your primary purpose would be.  If it is for a higher capacity, concealable, defensive handgun the 9 would seem to be the better choice.  What is your current high power? Assume concealment is an issue. 

If on the other hand it is for a pot shooter in survival mode the .22 would be excellent.  You already have the larger calibre for larger varmint problems.

Of course since you have both scenarios already pretty well covered then I suggest you buy both the .22 and the 9, and stockpile for your other weapon too!

My centerfire handgun is a 4" S&W m686+ .357 Mag Mountain Gun.  It is concealable, though only if some kind of jacket or vest can be worn - which realistically is pretty much the case with any high-cap 9mm as well. What the 9mm does offer is a lot more ready ammo.

My rimfire handgun is a 4" S&W m37. It too is concealable, but definitely too long for easy pocket carry.  The Walther P22 is one gun that I know slips easily and unobtrusively in a front pants pocket.   Of course, my uncle does have a 2" m37 that he has offered me in the past.  Maybe that would be the better bet.  I'm pretty sure I could get it from him cheap.  It would absolutely disappear in a pants pocket...

I would indeed like to buy both, but I do have to be careful about stoking the flames of the Better-Half's wrath.  All the guns and ammo in the world won't help me if she kills me in my sleep first. Big Grin

Edited by lucznik - March/07/2009 at 10:35
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2009 at 10:41
I like the 686 - lots of flex from 38 to full house .357  - I have a M66.  Six shot capacity is no problem - just don't miss.  Ready ammo:  lots available here for the Smith, but if intent is to resupply in the field from ad hoc sources could be an issue.

The Walther sounds very nice and although not optimal should not be discounted for defense.  As Col Cooper often said   "a .22 to the tear duct will stop any fight".
God save the Empire!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2009 at 10:42
i would rather have a .22 pistol in a fight than a knife or a rock.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2009 at 10:55
I would say Ruger 22/45.  You already have the 686 and m37.  The Ruger is fun to shoot and ammo much cheaper than 9mm.  Sounds like you would get more use out of it and something new with the semi-auto.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2009 at 15:09
I've got a 686... About anything is easier to carry than one of those.

I'm old school and LOVE Hipowers.  They are about the only gun that handles better than a 1911. The only other guns that can run as long are Glocks and CZ. CZs have a great trigger.

WWW.formitch.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic