OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Optic Reviews and Tests > Member's Tests and Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Multi Scope Test

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brock_Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Multi Scope Test
    Posted: March/06/2009 at 20:50

ILya, the VX-3 has made a major improvement over the VX-III. The swing in glass optically seems to stem from the targeted color changes, for lack of a better word, it's almost like "Euro Glass" in targeted coloration. In other aspects they are close to the same in clarity or image crispness. I don't feel there is big advances in that area.

I compared the VX-3 3.5-10X40 
VX-III 3.5-10X40
Conquest 3-9X40
Sightron SIIB 3-12X42 
Bushnell 4200 2.5-10X40
Leupold VX-7 2.5-10X45
Swaro Z6  1.7-10X42

Clarity/Resolution:  Test, 17 line eye chart (black letters on white background) at 102 lasered yards. 6X on all scopes.

Z6-15 weak lines
Conquest 13 strong lines
SIIB 13 weak lines
VX-7 12 strong lines (I had the VX-7 @ 13 line once and could never resolve the 13th line again)
4200 12 strong lines
VX-3 12 strong lines
VX-III 10 strong lines

Note: The image size is obviously not exactly 6X on all scopes. I feel there is probably .5-.8 magnification discrepancy but, in my experience, the clearer/cleaner glass always makes the image appear larger.

Scope of test: It's hard to derive a % of clarity using this test so I've only used legible lines as a comparison.

Dawn and Dusk Resolution: I place the same chart at 98 lasered yards, the last 20+ yards being a heavily wooded dark area. This is almost impossible, I can do 3-4 scopes in an evening going back and forth but, the conditions on the next evening are never the same. I usually do 3-4 one evening and the rest the next evening if conditions are close. I then use another evening to go through all of them somewhat quickly just to verify my finding but all in the same evening. This is where the Z6 rocks the others.

Z6 14 lines
Conquest 12 weak lines
SIIB 11 strong lines
VX-7 11 strong lines
4200 10 strong lines
VX-3 10 strong lines
VX-III 8 lines

ILya, for the past 6-8 months I have been playing with other testing apparatus in between hunting.

As of now, I have designed and built a recoil simulator and have sent the patent info in for publication. I can simulate up to 260 lbs/ft of recoil, muzzle lift, reverse recoil, both for and aft recoil. Some of the scopes that I felt wouldn't impress have really impressed me. At 75 lbs/ft recoil with 2.2" of travel in 21 milliseconds. I have a Vortex Viper 3-9 that has taken over 2200 simulations and still hasn't failed. I have a 3-9 Diamondback that failed after 1500+ recoils and was fixed and returned in 9 days without question.

They will all fail, just a matter of when:

Sightron SII Big Sky 4-16X42... 1630 impacts........erector screw.. had loctite put on the screw and it's over 1200 impacts for the second time around.
Sightron SII Big Sky 3-9X42... 1260 impacts.........erector assy
SIII.............3.5-10X56...... 1571 impacts
Conquest................ 3-9X40..1056 impacts
Conquest ................4.5-14X44...996 impacts
Leupold VXII............ 2-7X33.....66 impacts.erector assy failure...Fixed and went 1077 impacts
Leupold VXIII............3.5-10X40..521 impacts
Nikon Monarch........... 3-12X42.. 336 impacts

ILya, these are a few of many scope I have broken. The nice thing about broken optics is you get a real good feel for customer service.

I got a VXL  3.5-10X50 from a friend of mine that has sent it back 3 times, parallax issues and erector that I cant get to go over 170 impacts. Leupold sent me a brand new one 2 months ago and it's back for the second time for erector issues. I would recommend against the VXL.

Haven't had a chance to put the VX-3 on there yet but will after I'm convinced my optical testing is complete, I'll recoil test it.

Just Having Fun

Rob

martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 20:53
Did  you subject the 4200 to the impact test??

Cool stuff
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 21:27
The Bushnell Elite 4200 is recoil tested to 10,000 rounds of a .375 H&H magnum. Bushnell Elite 4200 rifle scopes are built to deliver superior field performance. Period. News that seems to be traveling equally as fast. I'VE always wondered if this is the real TRUTH....
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 22:23
Thanks for posting this, Rob.

I have just looked at the VX-3, and I should have a review up in a little bit.  The scope has gone on to cheaptrick and I asked him to look at something for me.  I will wait with posting my review until he has gotten back to me.

On a separate note, how did you like the S3 2.5-10x56?  I have not really had a chance to play with that scope much, but I really like the 3.5-10x44 version.

Thanks
ILya
Brock_Brett View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brock_Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 23:38
ILya-

I'm not a fan of big bells but spent quite a bit of time with this scope. Found it to be a double edge sword in the fact that it was very pleasant to spend range time with but, sitting on a 204 Ruger, it reminded me why I didn't like big bells.

The mag. range along with the 56 mm bell made it a great coyote scope on a bipod in the late evening. With snow on the ground and a bit of a moon, a person can sit all night. If I did much hunting with bipods on my rifles I think I would have kept it but it's not a walking scope.

As for function, it track's better than any scope I have every spent time with. The 204 will shoot little groups all day long. I started by clicking 8 left shot a 3 shot group went up 32 clicks shot a group, went down 40 shot a group. This thing will chase wherever you want it to go. After I was done with a bunch of groups I went out with a yardstick and measured in accordance to my clicks and every one was dead on, Some scopes I have to tap after and adjustment to get them to track but this was crank and shoot. This scope was shot by 4 different people and 4 different guns and felt as though we were going to crank the knobs off this one. Right now it's on a heavy 300 RUM.

I still feel the best part is the glass, very nice on the eye's. After spending time with many scopes, a persons eye's just seem to get along well with some glass better than others. The SIII glass seems to be that soothing glass.

The view through the glass seems to be very flat and crisp to the edges.

Looking forward to your next review.

If all stays mellow, I will post more comparisons.

Have Fun

Rob

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2009 at 07:27
Appreciate your efforts here Rob.  Good info.

God save the Empire!
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 11:09
Nice informative comparison, we are very fortunate to have access to such great products.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 11:52
Originally posted by martin3175 martin3175 wrote:

Did  you subject the 4200 to the impact test??

Cool stuff

I was wondering the very same thing. Thanks very much for taking the time to post the results of your testing. To be honest, I haven't seen someone test scopes this thoroughly in quite some time.
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 12:00
                                     Shocked
308WIN View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308WIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 12:24
are you going to impact test the Z6?Shocked
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 13:13
Maybe this means the 4200 is unbreakable.......................grin
jimmyp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmyp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 06:39
Thank you for posting the results of your testing.  Will the VX3 go on the recoil machine?
Al Owen View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Owen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2009 at 07:59
Rob your testing has confirmed what real life use in the field has shown me to be true for the Sightron and the Leupold scopes.

In the real world of scopes the most important thing for me, is the ability of the scope to hold the point of aim. If it will do that for me, year in and year out. I will still use my Leica bino's for the rest of the story.

Thank you vary much for all your effort. The amount of work you have put in is just incredible.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2009 at 20:33
Excellent work, Rob!  Most scope tests don't include durability testing anywhere close to the degree you're doing it.  I salute you for your good work and I look forward to hearing more about your findings, especially with regards to the impact testing!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2009 at 22:24
Great info, Rob!  Thanks for posting it.  Excellent  Look forward to more results and tests.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2009 at 05:48
Thank you for this, Rob!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2009 at 12:41
Hi Rob!

Any new tests? or test updates?

Did you ever get a chance to put the VX-3 onto your recoil machine?

ILya
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2009 at 20:31
No Pics
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
skilly1979 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skilly1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2009 at 20:36
i have never owned a single scope that tracks like my 2 slll's in 8-32x and like he said the glass is just so soothing on my eyes clean to the edges. Any more impact testing Rob!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2009 at 05:53
hey rob is there any way you would run the recoil test on fixed power scopes?? i think this is great what your doing.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic