OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > The Range Report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Wby Backcountry range report

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wby Backcountry range report
    Posted: March/06/2009 at 19:27
Picked up the new stick today, and got out to the range. Weatherby Vangaurd Backcountry in .300 Wby. I put some Wby. factory 180gr. softpoint ammo through it. I didn't really get too much shooting in, other than getting it sighted in, and one group to confirm zero. That group measured 1.30" center to center. I'm not terribly impressed so far, but I'm not far enough in to it to know what I've got yet. The factory target looked much better than my group, but after the first shot put the back of the scope in my nose, I may not have been in the mind set for shooting groups. I think I'll like it once I get used to it, but it shocked me on the first shot, with such a light rifle in that caliber. Anyway, here she is. Hope to have more reports later. Waiting for brass, and dies to show up.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 19:32

She's sexy! Naughty 

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 19:37
A real "looker".  I like it.  
"Scope nose"????? 

Edited by Kickboxer - March/06/2009 at 19:38
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 19:43
Really nice shooter,         break her in easy let it cool down between shots don't get over anxious I would shoot 150s or 165s in it. 168s if you go with the Berger bullets.   
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 19:49
Nice Rig!!!  

Edited by swtucker - March/06/2009 at 19:50
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 20:41
Nice rifle! Is that a fluted barrel to boot? Big Smile
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 20:54
Yes sir. Just like the one I had, but different caliber, and fluted barrel. I'm hoping it will reach out there.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2009 at 07:53
"you may want to hold onto that cannon with both hands when you shoot it harley"

Edited by pyro6999 - March/07/2009 at 07:58
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2009 at 08:56
 TOO late,pyro! It got him,but not too bad he said. Chronyed factory Weatherby 180's at about 3190 he said. Not bad from a 24"bbl.
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2009 at 11:22
Nice rifle.  What cal was the one you traded in?
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2009 at 11:23
Pyro, haven't seen that movie in years.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2009 at 11:24
Originally posted by SD Dog SD Dog wrote:

Pyro, haven't seen that movie in years.

me neither!! a buddyy and me use to have every line in that movie memorized!

he traded his .270wsm in
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2009 at 11:35
No more .270 for him then?  You converted him to the dark side?  Well, you won't get me.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2009 at 11:37
he still has the .270win though i would have rather seen him trade that instead of the wsm.

just you wait you too will fall from grace just give it time. trigger said the same thing onceDevil

Edited by pyro6999 - March/07/2009 at 11:39
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2009 at 11:49
  Now I'm tellin ya that 3100+ with a 130grainer is nothing to frown at. How could anyone not love a face like this:

SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2009 at 11:53

Don't worry, force is strong here.  Can honestly say never sold a gun I bought.  Love my .270.  Reason for the strong stance is Dad had his FFL and had 2 match pair of .357 Pythons and .22lr Diamond Backs. (serial number was same on the python as the diamond back).  Times got tight and he sold them.  4 beers and ask him the dumbest thing he has ever done and selling them comes up.  That is just my personal stance. 

Trigger, hope the new iron works for you.  Will have to wander south sometime and go shooting.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2009 at 11:53
Sad like that
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2009 at 12:40
Nice 300.  Is that 300 Wby too?

trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2009 at 12:41
Fear not SD Dog. I still have a .270, and love it. It's of the short barreled variety, and very handy, and light. I will probably keep it forever, as they don't make them like this one anymore. I was not strictly a .270 guy anyway, and have a .300 win. here already. I have to plug the .270 though, just cause pyro likes it.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2009 at 13:55
Originally posted by trigger29 trigger29 wrote:

Fear not SD Dog.   I have to plug the .270 though, just cause pyro likes it.

why you little Cencored!!Laugh
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic