OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Trouble in scope paradise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trouble in scope paradise
    Posted: March/06/2009 at 09:37

I bought a fine fine scope recently, a Zeiss 6.5-20x50mm and mounted it on a heavy barrell Sako 308. Totally emptied my wallett.

But there is a problem - I am unable to hold tight groups. They spread over ca 2inch wide box on 100 yards.  Hell, I can shoot tighter groups with my 22 caliber on that range. It seems that its quite random where the bullets hit. Im trying to see where the problem is. Ive shot 40-50 shots and seem to be unable to get better results from a bench rest. The rifle is accurate, I had better control over it (with another scope). This new scope is of course high end stuff, so are the mounts (sako opti lok). Ammunition is Winchester 100grain of the shelf - but I think its a decent accuracy ammo. I noticed that the space between the barrell and scope is 1mm. To me it seems super tight but I asked a gunsmith when I mounted it and he said it was good and enough.  So the question remains - WHY these poor groups? 

a) Is something wrong (loose) in the scope?
b) Did I mount it incorrectly?
c) Do I tense up (loose aim) with the high recoil of this rifle (I tend to close my eyes)?
d) Is it possible the barrell (heavy barrell) expands and hits the bottom of the scope?
e) Is the high magnification causing me problems?

Or.........that Im a poor shooter?  Im ready to accept that - if I cant find any other solution. But like I said, I hold pretty decent groups (hole in hole on 50yds with 22 caliber) and have shot much better and more controlled groups with my heavy barrell 308 when it had another much cheaper scope. So Im hopeful to find a solution and step up my performance.

Now guys - Id really like your opinion here

rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 09:59
100 grain bullets don't sound right for a 308?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 10:01
he must mean 180gr.

to answer your mounting space question, as long as the scope isnt touching the barrel your fine.
sounds to me like it may be a you problem, you mentioned you flinch when you shoot, that could very well be the problem. maybe you need to use a set of ear plugs and a set of ear muffs over top of them to make it quieter. i started to do that last year and i noticed a big difference in my accuracy.

Edited by pyro6999 - March/06/2009 at 10:04
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 10:06
Have you shot THIS ammo before with a differant scope, with better results? 
In other words, is this ammo proven in THIS rifle?

Edited by cheaptrick - March/06/2009 at 10:08
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 10:11
(I tend to close my eyes)?

Sounds to me what pyro said is correct.  You're anticipating the shot and flinching.  Do you have a friend who is comfortable with your 308 and could shoot to check.  Doesn't matter if his point of impact is different as long as he groups tight.  If it still scatters then you have some more checking to do.

Edited by Dogger - March/06/2009 at 10:11
God save the Empire!
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 10:35
Did you have it lapped and used lock-tite.If you think the scope is the problem just swap scopes and mount your Zeiss on another rifle and see how it shoots.I believe you need to get use to the newer set up and practice.They sell some nice rifle rests like the led sled which cushions the recoil.If your flinching this item would get you tight groups at 100 yards solving your issued with 2 inch groups at 100 yards.
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 10:35
Well, as you said, you had better control with it using the other scope so it may well be a mounting issue or (unlikely for a Zeiss) a problem with the scope internals. Are you certain that the reticle is leveled (square to the action)? You might want to take it to a good gunsmith and have the shop mount it.

Aside from that, I recommend shooting a lot of .22 LR. It's economical and great for getting conditioned to ignore recoil. I find that I can put so many rounds of .22 downrange without any discomfort that my aiming and bolt cycling improve. And then when I go back to the .308 I just shoot right through the recoil as if it wasn't there at all.
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 11:17
If I'm reading your post correctly you've shot this rifle before so flinching is less likely of the possible problems. If you shot this ammo before, which is also likely, then that can be moved down the list. The first place to start is determining what has changed. In this case it's the scope and mount. An internally defective Zeiss is rare and can also be moved down a notch. This to me leaves the mount or mounting of the scope as the most likely place to start. If you're not confident doing this yourself I'd take it to a gunsmith for remounting. NOT a store clerk. If the points of impact are completely random I'm guesing something is simply loose.
  • loose scope
  • loose mount
  • loose reticle
  • fouling
  • ammo
  • gun
  • shooter
IMHO

Edited by jetwrnch - March/06/2009 at 11:22
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 12:32

Winchester does not make 100 grain ammo for a .308 what did you do buy .243 ammo?

X2432   243 Winchester   100 gr. Super-X® Power-Point®

< = name=chkS308ETA-1-1>   S308ETA   308 Winchester   150 gr. Supreme® E-Tip   Add To Wishlist Compare Items
  < = name=chkSBST308-1-1>   SBST308   308 Winchester   150 gr. Supreme® Ballistic Silvertip®   Add To Wishlist Compare Items
  < = name=chkSBST308A-1-1>   SBST308A   308 Winchester   168 gr. Supreme® Ballistic Silvertip®   Add To Wishlist Compare Items
  < = name=chkSXP308-1-1>   SXP308   308 Winchester   150 gr. Supreme Elite™ XP3®   Add To Wishlist Compare Items
  < = name=chkUSA3081-1-1>   USA3081   308 Winchester   147 gr. USA Full Metal Jacket   Add To Wishlist Compare Items
  < = name=chkX3083-1-1>   X3083   308 Winchester   180 gr. Super-X® Silvertip®   Add To Wishlist Compare Items
  < = name=chkX3085-1-1>   X3085   308 Winchester   150 gr. Super-X® Power-Point®   Add To Wishlist Compare Items
  < = name=chkX3086-1-1>   X3086   308 Winchester   180 gr. Super-X® Power-Point® <

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 13:14
Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

100 grain bullets don't sound right for a 308?

NO KIDDING

I think you would have to hand load it to get anything lower wieght than 147 gr.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 13:18
As mentioned by Urfriend....check to see you aren't shooting 243 in a 308 compare the ammo visually with a known 308 round sounds dumb but what the heck!
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 15:04

wow, that would bad

Heavishot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavishot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 15:05
+1 on checking to make sure it's not .243 ammo!
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 15:06
Wouldn't keyholing and larger spread be evident? 
God save the Empire!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 15:09
i would suspect he would have a hard time hitting paper at all, 6mm to 7.62mm is a big difference. 
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Heavishot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavishot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 15:11
True but always start problem solving with the simplest explanations first.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 15:14
 Had a friend tried(not on purpose).25-06's in his .270 Win.  He said it wasn't accurate. In fact I don't even know if he got a group he could measure.
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 16:43
Quote) (I tend to close my eyes)? Quote)

Like Dogger mentioned. What ever the reason, if your closing your eyes that simply has to stop. I know some 308's can kick the             out of ya, cause I had one that did. Couldn't get rid of it fast enough. I have a friend who I hate to say, has more money than since and is always buying heavy hitters. The last one was a 338 and he usually comes to me to get them zeroed. I only do it cause my custom shooting bench is similar to a led sled and I don't have to put the thing on my shoulder. But its a waste of time cause he will never hit what he shoots at. I've watched him close his eyes every time. I know that 338 is stompin his butt cause it raised my bench every time I shot it. The 308 is a great cal. and if you like it maybe try another rifle. I've shot a Rem BDL in 308 and 7mag and they just hit too hard for me to enjoy shooting. I did find that Ruger could build these and the recoil was not an issue. What ever you do, the eye closing has to stop before you know if there is a problem anywhere else. Good Luck! 
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 16:59
My 700 is in .308 and I wouldn't give her up for love nor money.  I've never shot a 100 gr bullet out of it, can't say my remmy would group with it either though!!!  150 is as low as I go.

Edited by Steelbenz - March/06/2009 at 17:00
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 17:20
For a .308 with a 100gr bullet, I would think your rate of twist would have to be something like 1:16 or 1:17.  I am fairly certain you are not anywhere close to that.  If you are actually shooting .308 100gr, I am surprised you are getting that good a group.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic