OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

How important is lapping?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STWSniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2005 at 14:06
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

According to several gunsmiths, few factory receivers are drilled properly.  

Wow, that is a real eye opener. That would mean there are probably a whole lot of scopes out there that might not be mounted as good as they could be.

dilligaf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dilligaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2005 at 23:23
Another good thing to do when installing mounts (prior to lapping the rings) is to bed the base. It very simple to do and doesnt take very long. If the receiver is even a hair uneven it will distort the base and tweak the rings out of alingment bedding the base will help to alleviate this distortion and can result in much less material needing to be removed from the rings.

Edited by dilligaf
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2005 at 21:28

CheapTrick, how many of your rifles have you snt out to Accuracy Gunsmiths/Riflemiths for correction?

zaj56 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zaj56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2005 at 05:52
   dilligaf......what is the proper procedure for bedding the base?(or bases)   Thanks
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2005 at 06:09
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

CheapTrick, how many of your rifles have you snt out to Accuracy Gunsmiths/Riflemiths for correction?

None. If I can't correct them myself, I sell them.

Are you disputing my earlier post? 

Edited by cheaptrick
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
dilligaf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dilligaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2005 at 22:44

Sorry it took so long to get back to you I've been out of the net for a few days. If your receiver base mount holes are FUBAR take your rifle to a competent gunsmith for repair.

Originally posted by zaj56 zaj56 wrote:

dilligaf......what is the proper procedure for bedding the base?(or bases)   Thanks

Its pretty easy. You will need:

Epoxy

a small level

Pam non stick spray 

basic hand tools

(As always insure that the weapon is unloaded!!!) mount the rifle in a vise or stand that will hold it securely and allow the rifle to be level and plumb.

1. Thread the base mount screws in and out of the receiver a few times.

2. Mount the base on the receiver and tighten the screws until the are SNUG  not tight. Use a feeler gauge to see how off the receiver or base is. Remember to write down the largest gap size. Take the base back off the rifle.

3. Put a liberal coat of WD40, (I use Pam non stick cooking spray), grease or some guys use plastic wrap, (anything that will keep the epoxy fron stiking to the base) on the bottom of the base.

4. Mix the epoxy thick. Apply a liberal coat of epoxy where the base sits DO NOT get it in the screw holes on the receiver. (put some grease on the threads of the base mount screws).Make sure the epoxy is at leaste as high as the measurement you took earlier.

5. Mount the base and snug the screws down, check the base fornt to back, side to side, and corner to corner for it being level, tighten fron to bak screws until it is but do not tighten the screws al the way! Wipe off excess epoxywhen level.

6. Allow expoy to cure and tighten to torque (Badger recomends 21"lbs per screw on its base) or about as tight as yu can get it holding the small end of an allen wrench.

7. Mount and lap rings, mount scope, & zero weapon.

(If you using a 2 piece base its the method is still the same. Its a little more tricky but you can still do it at home. You will need to insure both bases are level and straight use a level, a laser, or anything you have to insure they are good to go before the epoxy is set up)

Edited by dilligaf
zaj56 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zaj56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2005 at 17:08
 Thanks alot...very helpful....I do have a question though. Is the wd40 or Pam applied to the receiver or to the base? I would think that if the epoxy stuck to the rifle and not the base,  it would be tough to ever switch bases in the future. Just curious...Thanks again
dilligaf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dilligaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2005 at 16:20
I apply the spray the base. On my personal rifles once a base is installed it is never removed (unless it gets broken). I only use Badger Ord bases & have never broken one. The purpose of the epoxy is to get the receiver top level for the base to be mounted on. I prefer the epoxy to adhear to the stronger surface so there will be no chance of it shifting. Never try to bed a base that is bent or distorted it defeats the purpose of the bedding job.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic