OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best Sniper Rifle? Caliber?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drd34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Sniper Rifle? Caliber?
    Posted: March/05/2009 at 17:21
What do you want when you want to really reach out and touch someone? My vote goes to the Sako TRG-42. While I really like the .338 Lapua what do you think about the .300 Win Mag? Just wondered what you guys thought...

You gotta carry it.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 17:41
+1 on the Lapua.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 17:51
                                          45-70
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 18:03

The 300 Winchester is a great cartridge, but it really isn't in quite the same league as the .338 Lapua. 

Rifle Looney- that is one nice-looking 45-70, but Matthew Quigley wouldn't have lasted through the opening credits going against a good man with a TRG in .338 Lapua! 
drd34 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drd34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 18:03
Well, I'm a Finn...or at least a second generation immigrant, so eventhough I do respect the "American Legend" and Winchester as a fine tradition....I also value my heritage. I think Sako has done a pretty fair job of that representation. I kinda doubt if your flintlock is going to reach out and touch anything even close to 500 yards let alone 2000-3000. While .338 Lapua in a Sako in the right hands can do damage at a mile. Yes...a mile. Try that with your cap and precussion Daniel Boone ton of iron. Or are you just jiving me? I know I'm already on your "A" list.
You gotta carry it.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 18:22
The TRG-42 is awesome, But if you've got that kind of coin buy a GAP custom built gun. 
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
drd34 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drd34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 18:24
I thought maybe I'd hear something like, "I'd go with the .50 cal Barrett myself," or something halfway realistic like that. I'm just asking...no thang.
You gotta carry it.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 18:25
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

The TRG-42 is awesome, But if you've got that kind of coin buy a GAP custom built gun. 

I'm feeling too lazy to search right now. What kind if actions does GAP use?
drd34 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drd34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 18:26
Steelbenz? What caliber?
You gotta carry it.
auto_1187 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote auto_1187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 18:31
I say a McMillan TAC 50. This rifle has the longest confirmed kill at 2450 m in the hands of Rob Furlong.
Vegetables aren't food, vegetables are what food eats!!
BillyWayne View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyWayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 18:33
I built a sniper/tactical gun out of a Remington 700 in 243.  Go ahead and laugh Smile.  The big calibers with big kicks hurt me.  I am getting older....maybe I am turning into a wuss..Plus I stopped the heavy workouts and now I am shrinking up.  I can shoot 243 all day. 
John 11:35
The're taking the hobbits to Isengard!!
drd34 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drd34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 18:34
I can understand that 4k is a bit much for most. What then would be the most bang for the buck? A Remy 700 or 900 in some .300+/- caliber? That's what some competitive long range shooters are using, including military.
You gotta carry it.
auto_1187 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote auto_1187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 18:35
Sorry, it was 2430 m.
Vegetables aren't food, vegetables are what food eats!!
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 18:37
GAP Templar action

here ya go!!

http://www.gaprecision.net/crusader.html

I believe you can order from .260 to 338
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 18:39
If i had that kind of coin that bad boy would be in the safe.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 18:57
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

The 300 Winchester is a great cartridge, but it really isn't in quite the same league as the .338 Lapua. 

Rifle Looney- that is one nice-looking 45-70, but Matthew Quigley wouldn't have lasted through the opening credits going against a good man with a TRG in .338 Lapua! 

Thank you and it was just in fun.......,Big Grin
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 19:09
Originally posted by drd34 drd34 wrote:

Well, I'm a Finn...or at least a second generation immigrant, so eventhough I do respect the "American Legend" and Winchester as a fine tradition....I also value my heritage. I think Sako has done a pretty fair job of that representation. I kinda doubt if your flintlock is going to reach out and touch anything even close to 500 yards let alone 2000-3000. While .338 Lapua in a Sako in the right hands can do damage at a mile. Yes...a mile. Try that with your cap and precussion Daniel Boone ton of iron. Or are you just jiving me? I know I'm already on your "A" list.

It's actually not a cap and ball nor flint it is a regular smokeless powder center fire....and at 700 yrds you wouldn't want to be standing in front of me that's for sure. and yes I was just jiving you due to the other post so you do get it, and I hope you have a sense of humer. to go with that...dont take stuff so seriously unless it is serious.  and to answer your question I too would go with the 338 laupa  ..... had a 300 and it didnt tickle my fancey.   Big Smile
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 19:17
Ah Hmmm! Ah Hmmm!.....................The ultimate long range sniper rifle is the .408 Barret, or is it the 416 Barret??!! Better long range BC than the 50 BMG.

Ya know! The one that nails the targets at 2500 yards as seen on "Weaponology" or on "Future Weapons" with that bald ex-Navy seal guy??

Of course carrying the damn thing is another story!
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 19:22
What about that 408 Chey-tac this thing is supposed too rock, read a little on it a while back and this thread reminded me. Any info ...I will google it.

Edited by rifle looney - March/05/2009 at 19:23
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 19:28
Haven`t heard of that one as I`m not really into snipin rifles. I was however very impressed with the Barret. I thinks it shovels a 600-700 gr bullet @ 3250 to 3400 fps MV. But I don`t remember for sure.

The 408 Chey-tac may be a competitor of the Barret that I haven`t seen yet.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic