OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What would you say?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 17:22
 I really feel for ya Monster but evidently you don't have the option of another job so you've got to come to terms with this somehow. Anyway of transferring to another dept?  If not then just recommend what sells the most and is returned the least. That's about as honest as you can be without telling the truth. That make any sense?
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 17:23
Yea that makes sense...I wish I could switch departments but the store is not a huge store so being a part-time worker means you cover all of the departments. No one is designated to a certain department
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 17:26
Monster when you get to Texas ask Mr. Chris Farris for an application and work there then you wont have to deal with cheap stuff ?  he seems like a nice guy.Whacko
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 17:28
Good one!
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 17:32
 And don't forget the little lady!  Hiding
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 17:33
" Buy it!!  If it breaks---come in and buy another one!!!  "  Bandito    
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 18:41
 You are obligated by the paycheck you collect to sell your company's product. That's what you were hired do, and you need to come to grips with that. You don't need to lie to do that. Show them the different models you carry, answer technical questions the best you can, highlight various features and let them choose. Don't agonize over it. It's not your Purpose In Life to determine what someone else SHOULD buy or where.  Do not recommend another source, while you are on the payroll. That, in my opinion, would be undermining your employer's interest.
 Collect your check in good conscience, and spend the money you make at SWFA!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 02:13
If they ask is something good you have to realize that is a relative term.  A cheap pair of binoculars or scope is often betten than no binoculars or scope. Not everyone is going to be willing to spend countles hundreds of dollars on their optics those guys think the low dollar scopes are pretty good scopes considering the price. What you think is good is likely different from a more educated prospective but of the choices you have pick the best and tell them out of what is here this is my favorite. It's really not your job to send them somewhere else they are able to decide for themselves if they like and want what you are showing them.  Let them make the choice.  Some guys never spend over a hundred dollars on optics and they are just as happy as can be thinking they have what they need.  If they really wanted an education on optics they would search info on the internet so dont place yourself in an awkward position by running of customers. Show them what you have.  Find the producte there that you like the best and sell those.  I sold the hell out of lansky knife sharpners when I worked in a sporting goods store, I liked them they worked I asked if they customer had a knife sharpened it in front of them and they saw how easy it was and bought it.  Find products you like there and concentrate on them but dont bother telling them something is a pos they may like it and not be willing to pay more.  I dont buy expensive binoculars cause I break them.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 03:25
Here is my opinion.  Ask your boss to bring in better optics!!!  You never know, THEY may not know they sell POS optics!!!  
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 07:36
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

You are obligated by the paycheck you collect to sell your company's product. That's what you were hired do, and you need to come to grips with that. You don't need to lie to do that. Show them the different models you carry, answer technical questions the best you can, highlight various features and let them choose. Don't agonize over it. It's not your Purpose In Life to determine what someone else SHOULD buy or where.  Do not recommend another source, while you are on the payroll. That, in my opinion, would be undermining your employer's interest.
 Collect your check in good conscience, and spend the money you make at SWFA!

RONK cut to the chase here. 

You can try the recommendation route for better optics but doesn't sound encouraging.  If your conscience bothers you that much then you will have to leave - might be a little dicey in todays economy.
God save the Empire!
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 16:43
Wear your SWFA hat to work.  Nuf said.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 16:59
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

Here is my opinion.  Ask your boss to bring in better optics!!!  You never know, THEY may not know they sell POS optics!!!  

I was thinking along those same lines. If not, as someone else mentioned don't forget who signs your paycheck. If someone is looking at POS optics they likely don't know the difference or probably don't care enough to know anyway.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 17:01
Monster, you could say that you know a good web forum where they can find out all the information they need to make an informed decision, that the optic you sell are designed and targeted for a particular market, and that you would prefer to not make a recommendation on something as personal as a riflescope because everyone's requirements and visual qualities are different.  Then give them the www.riflescopes.com address.  
That is what I would do.  You will not have degraded your employer, to whom you owe loyalty because he is paying your salary and you will not have diminished your integrity.  And, you will not have insulted a potential buyer.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 20:30
Thanks for the advice everyone......I think the best route for me to go is find out what they are looking for and suggest what I believe would best fit their needs (even if the product is not at our store). 
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 20:36
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

I gotta get me one of those!!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 20:39
Originally posted by trigger29 trigger29 wrote:

HELLO.......me too!
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 20:43
Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

Originally posted by trigger29 trigger29 wrote:

HELLO.......me too!

Hello I'm the one who's suppose to be wearing it to work!
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 20:48
                      Shocked
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 20:50
Originally posted by Monster Monster wrote:

Thanks for the advice everyone......I think the best route for me to go is find out what they are looking for and suggest what I believe would best fit their needs (even if the product is not at our store). 

Be careful how much of that you do. A closed mouth gathers no foot.  You may be better off to say that you dont know and let them make their own decision, or just say I can show  you what I've got.   Remember that employers do sometimes hire secret shoppers to get feedback on customer service.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 21:15
If you knew the company I worked for you might think different. They wouldn't want to spend extra money to hire secret shoppers haha
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic