OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What would you say?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What would you say?
    Posted: March/05/2009 at 15:54
Ok I work at a sporting goods store that sells moderate to low grade goods. We sell firearms and a few optics. My problem is that we sell BSA, Barska, and lower end Bushnell optics (binos and scopes). I get asked all the time what I think of these products and I really do not know what to tell them. If I recommend other stores that sell better quality optics they don't seem interested. What would you say in a situation like that? My other question would be what would you say if they asked you about some $20 Humvee or Binolux binoculars? I always feel awkward talking about them because I feel like saying they are POS optics....
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 15:57
Maybe you could tell them that they are of the quality that this price level has to offer, and that they will be nowhere near the quality of optics in a price range just slightly higher...........or tell them that they are POS optics...........

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 16:00
Man do you have a conflict of interest I don't envy!  Your bosses would probably be less than enthusiastic to hear you recommending other stores ior saying their product are POS.  Maybe just be honest and say for the money (hopefully very low) they are ok but recommend that they save for a while longer and buy something better (don't have to tell them where).

If they still want to buy your conscience is clear.

Edited by Dogger - March/05/2009 at 16:01
God save the Empire!
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 16:01
Yea I do tell them that but most of them have never looked through binoculars of any kind and when they see the picture inside of the store they think I'm lying to them because the sight picture looks ok in the store...maybe I shouldn't care so much
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 16:04
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

Man do you have a conflict of interest I don't envy!  Your bosses would probably be less than enthusiastic to hear you recommending other stores ior saying their product are POS.  Maybe just be honest and say for the money (hopefully very low) they are ok but recommend that they save for a while longer and buy something better (don't have to tell them where).

If they still want to buy your conscience is clear.

Yea it just makes work not fun to always being asked by customers if certain things are good and then having to make up something that makes the product sound ok when I really don't believe in what I'm saying.....I've tried to get other jobs but with the economy the way it is jobs are hard to come by...
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 16:05
MMMMMMMMMMMM well .......get a new job!Poker
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 16:05
If they don't want to listen to the guy that is supposed to know what he's talking about, it shouldn't be your problem. Most of these guys are not like you and me. They don't think there is a noticable difference between a $50 pair of Barska binos, and $900 Leicas. You most likely won't change their minds.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 16:07

"They are what they are, low priced optics". Thats what I'd say.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 16:08
True but you see my problem of lack of interest in the store....I'm not doing anything more than taking peoples orders of what they want instead of actually selling things....
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 16:09
monster yo mail box is full o crap!
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 16:11
I would ask them what their max budget is and sell them the best one you have at that price.  If a person is only willing to spend $50 then that's okay, just help get the best they can for that $50.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 16:16
  Tell them that you don't hunt or shoot so can't give an opinion on what to buy but that they are more than welcome to take a look at what's available and decide for themselves. Also just tell them what your selling the most of and that it's the best of what you got. What lowend Bushnell scopes are you selling?
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 16:23
We sell Bushnell Sportsman scopes and Bushnell Pacifica binos.......on your other comment I do hunt and shoot so are you saying that I shouldn't say that I do?
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 16:34
 YEP. If you can't tell them the truth about the products then play ignorant.  Maybe tell them you hunt only blackpowder with open sites.  ANYTHING other than telling them the products are worth their hard earned money. For now you gotta make a living there so don't bite the hand that feeds ya.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 16:40
Ah... trying to cast pearls before swine.  Damned if you do and damned if you don't.  You have to use something they they can relate to such as tools, cars or clothes. You might say this one is Burger King, this one is Chillies or some other place with plates and food for the common man on Saturday night, This one is a nice steak house or seafood place, and that one is choke and puke.  Optics is something that you get what you pay for and like the grocery store that money may not go as far as they might think.  That way you are not being rude or demeaning to them or your products.  I think you may also say that many are made to look good in the store, but when you get out and compare them, they can see where the more expencive models have thier advantages.

Edited by silver - March/05/2009 at 16:41
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 16:41
Thanks for the advice
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 16:44
Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

MMMMMMMMMMMM well .......get a new job!Poker

In alot of places job are not easy to come buy.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 16:47
This was a joke as I always tell him to get a real job .....only cuz I know him well if I did not I certainly wouldn't have said that...all in good fun
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 17:14
Hmmmm, this is a toughy. You might try to go to the owner and convince him to get in some better quality products. This way you have something for the customer to compare price and quality with. If the customers want better quality, then you will have it for them, and if enough of them buy better quality stuff your boss will stock better products. If they keep buying the cheap products, then you still have a quality product for them to compare and you can have a clear conscious. A gunshop I frequent has a bunch of cheap scopes because that's what he sells the most of, but he also has some quality scopes just in case.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 17:16
Yea that is a good idea the only problem is the company I work for is a corporation so what I have to say is like talking on deaf ears.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic