OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - subtension numbers for Bushnell Ballistic Reticle
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

subtension numbers for Bushnell Ballistic Reticle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idaho Scot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: subtension numbers for Bushnell Ballistic Reticle
    Posted: March/05/2009 at 12:44
I have a Bushnell 3200 3-9x40 with the ballistic reticle.  Does anyone have the subtension numbers for this reticle? 

Thanks in advance!

Scot E.
sscoyote View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 15:31
Yeah, it's supposed to be based around a 3 MOA system, elevation and windage. Hey, BTW, how do u like that reticle? Is it thin or thick...relatively speaking, that is. Can u believe they don't make it anymore? What a mistake. They caved into the avg. Joe and came out with the DOA (Dead-On Accurate) BDC reticle instead.

Well, now i'm reviewing the pamphlet for the reticle and it says that each 3 MOA stadia line measures 3 inches per hundred yds. so they could've bastardized the whole concept and went with Shooter's MOA (inch per hundred yds.).

Best way to find out what it actually is is to measure down to the 4th stadia at 100 yds. and see if it's exactly 12" or 12.5. If it's exactly 12 it's IPHY, if it's 12.5 then it's true MOA.

Edited by sscoyote - March/05/2009 at 15:37
Steve
Idaho Scot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idaho Scot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 16:49
Originally posted by sscoyote sscoyote wrote:

Yeah, it's supposed to be based around a 3 MOA system, elevation and windage. Hey, BTW, how do u like that reticle? Is it thin or thick...relatively speaking, that is. Can u believe they don't make it anymore? What a mistake. They caved into the avg. Joe and came out with the DOA (Dead-On Accurate) BDC reticle instead.

Well, now i'm reviewing the pamphlet for the reticle and it says that each 3 MOA stadia line measures 3 inches per hundred yds. so they could've bastardized the whole concept and went with Shooter's MOA (inch per hundred yds.).

Best way to find out what it actually is is to measure down to the 4th stadia at 100 yds. and see if it's exactly 12" or 12.5. If it's exactly 12 it's IPHY, if it's 12.5 then it's true MOA.

Thanks for the info.  I like the reticle a lot.  It is too thin for hunting close to dark but for varmint type shooting I think it is great.  3moa isn't too bad.  That's about what I thought it would be.  That should work for a number of applications including .22 LR, and my .17HMR!

I don't know what to think about the DOA reticle.  I have been so badly wanting them to come out with a BDC reticle and now they are discontinuing the ballistic reticle and only have a couple scopes with the DOA.  I think it is more hype than anything but I haven't used it so am just expressing my opinion on how it is supposed to look.  I would much rather have had windage bars like Zeiss's z reticle or the Leupold varmint reticle than the reverse bars like the DOA.  I love their scopes but they definitely seem to be behind the game in reticle styles.  And can I just vent for a second about their website.  Nicely done but way too little info.  Heck some of their scopes aren't on their site till months after they are in stores!  Reticle, turret info is impossible to find! 

I feel better now!Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic