OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Mounting a DMS-1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 686+ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mounting a DMS-1
    Posted: March/05/2009 at 11:05
I got a DMS1 and now need to figure out how to mount it.  I can't afford an SPR-E right now, so I am trying to do it for under 100 bucks.
I tied seeing my position on my ar15 flattop and I seem to be 1-3 inches from the charging handle with my eye.  (new gun so I think I have to fit into it still, but can't cause I don't have a scope!)  So I am thinking I need to find an extender and some rings to bring the scope forward and up 1.5" from the flat top. 
Anyone have any ideas or sugestions on what they tried? 
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 11:42
How about the new Burris AR-PEPR mount?  it is under $100.

ILya
686+ View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 686+ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 14:01
I am eying that one but it won't be in till end of March at competitor, and probably elsewhere.  Also it might be a bit short on the eye relief, as best as I can tell it will put the end of the scope 1/2 short of the back of the reciever.  This will force my eyeball to be back 3" back of the charging handle, a bit short.  Don't know if I can go another month without a scopemount.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 21:24
+1 for the Burris mount and you can order it from SWFA.  Ouch

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 22:22
Do you already have these in stock, Chris?

ILya
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 10:28
Nope, no one does.  We have hundreds on order and are supposed to get the first allocation.
686+ View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 686+ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 10:39
competitor is posting them as available 3-31 or some such.  I think they are having delivery issues,  when I emailed Burris the guy answering my email said they had no clue when they would have them.

I still don't think this mount is 100% for the DMS:
Here is a quick and dirty why:
Take scope length to the knuckle and add eye relief, for DMS its 8.5" +3.5" or 12" total.
Substact the mount length to front ring beyond maximum mounting distance on reciever, and substract the reciever lenght, for PEPR it's about 2", and for an AR reciever it's about 7.5" (or 7.0"???) - charging handle to front picatiny cut (forgot the exact number, please correct if you can.)  so you have 9.5" total for substacting.  That means you have 2.5" from the charging handle to the eyeball. 
If that works for you you are set.  If you need more, just move the mount back.  If you need less, then the PEPR WILL NOT WORK for you.

I tried the gun twice and once I came up with 1" and once with 2.5" so I am not sure if the mount will work.

Anyone run a YHM extender with rings?  Can you comment on that setup for scopes in general not just the DMS?

686+ View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 686+ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2009 at 18:59
Has anyone run the DMS1 on their PEPR mount?  How do you like them. 
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2009 at 21:14
If you want it in the right place you want a LaRue mount and you cant get there for a hundred bucks.  Other than that there are several options. Armalite makes one and I have two of them on my work bench both have had scopes in them 1in and 30mm neither was ideal both were workable and very simila to the Burris PEPR and Rock River makes one too. But the La Rue puts the scope in the right place nothing else does the same thing.  Already got rings use this:
ARMS #36 Super Extended Optical Sight Rail ARMS #36 Super Extended Optical Sight Rail
Stock # - ARMS36SEX556
  • Matte
$88.95 
Add ARMS #36 Super Extended Optical Sight Rail to Cart 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic