OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Low Mags : Conquest / 4200 / SII-Big Sky / VX-3
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Low Mags : Conquest / 4200 / SII-Big Sky / VX-3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akula88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low Mags : Conquest / 4200 / SII-Big Sky / VX-3
    Posted: March/03/2009 at 17:13
I'm trying to compare these low power scopes for a 16"-AR :

I believe the Conquest would have the advantage of glass quality over the others, but it's larger than the rest.  I was hoping the Zeiss could come out with a smaller scope. 

4200 has the illuminated reticle advantage for low light.  Does illumination stands during midday outdoor light?

SII-BS has good reviews here in the forum and cost less.

I've included the VX-3 as an option, although I don't want the extended eye relief, as this will force me to get an extended Larue SPR-E mount.

Please post your comment and choice consideration that I have overlooked.

Zeiss
Conquest

1.8-5.5x38

- Z-Plex
- 1-inch
- length : 13.5"
- eye relief : 4 "
- weight : 18 oz
- FOV : 56.4 - 18.6'

SWFA : $399.95

Bushnell

1.25-4x24

Elite 4200

- illuminated 4A dot
- 30mm
- length : 10.4"
- eye relief : 3.3 "
- weight : 15 oz
- FOV : 81.4 - 26.2'

SWFA : $459.95

Sightron

1.25-5x20

SII Big Sky

- Plex
- 1-inch
- length : 9.53"
- eye relief : 4 - 3.8 "
- weight : 10.1 oz
- FOV : 79 - 19.2'

SWFA : $359.95
($50.00 rebate)

Leupold

1.25-5x20

VX-3

- Duplex
- 1-inch
- length : 9.5"
- eye relief : 4.4 - 3.7 "
- weight : 9.3 oz
- FOV : 68 - 23.8'

SWFA : $429.95

Application : Dynamic / practical shooting; hunting; possible SHTF

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 17:28
TR24R New Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                         New Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Red Triangle
  • 30mm
SWFA: $764.95
More Info... Buy Now
Watch the video http://www.swfa.com/c-19-trijicon-rifle-scopes.aspx

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 17:30
731424M Bushnell 1-4x24 Trophy 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                                 Bushnell 1-4x24 Trophy 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • 4A w/ Illuminated Dot
  • 30mm
SWFA: $144.95
More Info... Buy Now
I ordered one of these just for fun to see how it holds up.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - March/03/2009 at 17:31

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 17:37
Of all mentioned, I would eliminate the Zeiss. Great glass, but its size and weight for such a low powered variable, is ridiculous.

For the AR15, I like the Trijicon, the VX3, Big Sky and the Bushnell 4200.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 17:38
I just bought a Sightron 1.25-5x of Ilya and put it through 40 rounds on my 45-70 and it did great.  I ended up putting it on my .357 lever gun which it seems to be perfect for.

I compared it optically to my bushnell 4200 3-9x40 and my Meopta Artemis 2000 3-9x40.  While I realize that is not an apple to apple comparison it is the best I could do.  I thought it looked slightly better optically than my 4200s and close to the Meopta. 

But for the most part I think all those scopes will be so close optically you should focus on other features you want. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 18:22
I really like the Trijicon 1-4!  great for an AR.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 23:46
I just bought the Bushnell for my AR15 in 6.8 SPC but haven't received it yet.

Anyway just to confuse the issue a bit more I'll toss another option into the pot. Burris has their 1-4x24 XTR tactical with a BDC optomised for 5.56 NATO and it has an illuminated reticle. Optically it should be at least the equal of the Bushnell. I bought one but I'm still waiting on the upper so I can give it a try. Both the Bushy and the Burris are going into LaRue mounts

Specifications
Weight (oz): 17

Illuminated Ballistic 5.56

Length (in):11.3
Eye Relief (in): 4 - 3.5
Field of View @ 100yds (ft): 109 - 32
Exit Pupil (mm): 24 - 6
MOA:1/2
Lens Coating:Fully Multi-Coated

Edited by sholling - March/03/2009 at 23:49
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 15:52
I like the Big Sky for the price tracking, optics and climate control.I'm very pleased with my Big Sky.
nightowl View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightowl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 17:05
HI,

The only thing I do not like about the TR-24,is the eye relief is poor. Kev
akula88 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akula88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 17:13
Originally posted by sholling sholling wrote:

Would like to see your post when you receive it.  Also a couple of pictures -- mounted on your AR and close up on the knobs would be nice. Big Smile
akula88 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akula88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 17:15
BTW, would the knobs of the Elite 4200 similar to the Trophy below?
Photo credits by SWFA
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 18:47
Originally posted by akula88 akula88 wrote:

Originally posted by sholling sholling wrote:

Would like to see your post when you receive it.  Also a couple of pictures -- mounted on your AR and close up on the knobs would be nice. Big Smile

The scope will be here tomorrow baring SNFUs. The upper has an ETA of "sometime in March" depending on when AR15 Performance gets the parts. The cool part is that I have a very low number on the waiting list and I'm hoping for no more than a week or two from now.

Count on pictures as soon as I have everything. Big Grin

Edited by sholling - March/05/2009 at 18:48
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 22:20
I have spent some time with just every scope in this thread. 

Before we go any further, what kind of shooting do you plan to do with it? (range, target, lighting, etc).

What is your preferred price range?

Thanks.
ILya
akula88 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akula88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 05:27
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I have spent some time with just every scope in this thread. 

Before we go any further, what kind of shooting do you plan to do with it? (range, target, lighting, etc).

What is your preferred price range?

Thanks.
ILya

Ilya, I surely would appreciate and value your opinion.

I had an IOR 1.1-4x26.   I sold it to a friend as I found the weight to be on the upside.  It was mounted on a 16" AR for plinking and dynamic/practical shooting.   This low-mag is expected to replace the IOR in terms of low end function.   95% of shooting will be less than 100-yards, with balance at 200-300y shooting.   The upcoming Accupoint TR-24 1-4 is beyond my current budget.

I had really thought of getting a compact ACOG (TA-33) but again my budget is limited. The new Burris 332 has a large reticle. But I'm wouldn't be really comfortable with a fixed mag, especially for close range shooting.  And they have different application.

I already have an Aimpoint micro and a Conquest 3-9 on another AR to cover other tasking.

armandiversace View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armandiversace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 20:44
Originally posted by akula88 akula88 wrote:

BTW, would the knobs of the Elite 4200 similar to the Trophy below?
Photo credits by SWFA

Yes the knobs look the same. Hello OpticstalkHowdy
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2009 at 11:10

Trijicon 1.25-4x24.  Have one on my AR.  Plenty of eye relief and I like the fiber optic reticle.  Allows me to put my rear iron sight on as a backup.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic