OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon Coyote Special

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenDesert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon Coyote Special
    Posted: March/03/2009 at 14:25

I've have more than a two dozen scopes over the years.  From the Leupy 6.5-2-x50LR/T w/varmint reticule to the absolutely wonderful Nic-Star mounted on a CO2 rifle.... lol.   A few months ago I bought an AR-15, Rock River Predator/Coyote with 20" match stainless barrel and all the good things about the Rock River.  I've been looking for a scope, not to much money this time.  I read about the "Falcon Menace 4-14x40FFP mil-dot.   The reviews have been good on the scope, but i'm not sure i want to try it.  I also have a Bushnell 5-15x50AO duplex 3200. It has been a very nice scope for my Rem700 26"flutted barrel, McMillan Stock that I had re-chambered to 22-250AI, for the money it's bright, even around the edges and almost superior to a few of my Leupy's.  Not bad for $300.  I'd like to stay around the $300-$400 mark, not a lot to spend right now....  Especially after stocking up on reloading supplies due to the changing political climate, lol.  Are there any reviews that I can read directed at the New Nikon 4.5-14 Coyote Special w/BDC?  I'm just about to order one and can't quite make up my mind.

Signed, undecided 

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 14:53
thats a pretty new scope still, im not sure that i know anybody here who has one even.

(off of the subject) i have a fair amount of family in slc. i use to work in slc while i was in college as well.

Edited by pyro6999 - March/03/2009 at 14:54
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GenDesert View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenDesert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 14:57
This is my Rock River, I'm just starting to do some "Camo" work on in, the scope is a 3.5-10x40 AO Vari-X III that was one of my extra's that I've used for breaking in the rifle.  It's not a bad scope, but the "shinney black finish" on the Leupy just won't work, lol.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 14:59
send back to leupold and they can fix the color.im guessing that the coyote bdc is just a buck master with the camo finish.

Edited by pyro6999 - March/03/2009 at 15:04
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 14:59
Hey another Utard.  Welcome to the forum.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
GenDesert View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenDesert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 15:04

I'm sorry --   lol.

Not really, I've been here and in the surrounding states for 60yrs now, I've seen a lot of changes.  I'm affraid none for the better.....  It's even crowded on the "West Desert".... 
GenDesert View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenDesert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 15:05

Thanks

GenDesert View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenDesert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 15:08
I already a called them.  They don't do work in there custom shop on older scopes....  I tried..
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 15:09
hmm, well that sucks!!!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GenDesert View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenDesert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 15:11
I'm gonna' bite the big one and order one.  I'll come back in a few and see if I can't do a fair review....  Thanks
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 15:12
who are you ordering it from?
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GenDesert View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenDesert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 15:19

I've checked out a number of Web-Sites, some a little less than SWFA but they don't have any in stock.  I want the Advantage Camo version of the scope.....  I've seen it for $309+-. 

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 15:21
swfa has them in stock call them and see if they will do a price match. chris is pretty good to deal with.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GenDesert View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenDesert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2009 at 11:23
I sent an email to SWFA, haven't heard back yet.  If I don't hear in awhile, I"ll call them. 

I've been painting the AR, I hope to have the scope here when I get finished painting....  I don't want a lot of "camo" just enough to break the rifle up.
sscoyote View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 15:51
I tried to look up the subtensions in their '09 catalog, but they screwed the pooch on this 1. They have pics of all their BDC reticles and subtension info, but no cross reference diagrams like they usually have. They sent me a PDF file with the subtension info, but i have to wait till i get to work tonite to open it.
Steve
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 19:12
Sounds like a good scope, good luck when you get it, Chris at SWFA has a guarantee that is hard to beat...
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
GenDesert View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenDesert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 20:53
I ordered it this morning. It shipped this afternoon....  Maybe, they wanted to get rid of it? lol. Sold
I took a couple of pics of the Rock "Predator/Pursuit" with the "Sand" camo on it.  I masked, primmed it and finished painting yesterday.   It should be "dry" enough that I can mount the scope as soon as it arrives.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2009 at 00:44
Sounds like a really nice scope.  Let us know what you think I havent seen one yet.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
GenDesert View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenDesert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2009 at 01:24
OK, I had a small problem.  I order the Nikon Coyote special from SWFA.  The web site showed that they had it in stock.  I received an email confirming the order.  Some time later, I received another email from SWFA, I read it but it didn't sink in, as I continued to believe that the scope was  "on the way", it wasn't.  The email was in reality a notice that the scope was in fact, not in stock.  It was backordered.....  I didn't think anything about it, until I went back to the email to find the "tracking number".  I was surprised to say the least.....  Anyway, after thinking about it and not knowing when the scope would be shipped, I cancelled the order....

Now, I was without a scope.  I had been thinking about going a different way from the onset of trying to make up my mind regarding choice of a scope for the rifle...  I've wanted a FFP (front focal plane) scope for a long time, I couldn't afford a NightForce, I've spent about $900 on a scope before, but right now, that was not an option.  I've also been reading about the Falcon Menace 4-14FFP.  Pros, Cons, comments, reviews, I did a good deal of research.  I'd also been talking to my son about getting on.  I didn't know it, but in the mean time he had order the Falcon to put on a custom pistol, using a Savage target action, 17" McGowen barrel chambered in 20PPC, 11 twist, 11 degree target crown and Holland Radial Brake.   My Son is very talented and in fact has purchased "Press' " for the manufacture of 20cal bullets.  They should be delivered in about a month.  Anyway, I got of topic.

It turned out that we both had decided to order the Falcon scope,  yes I know it's not a NightForce, but for a quarter of the money I can find out if I like the M16 reticle (modified Mil-Dot) and the FFP.  So that my story and I'm sticking to it.....  lol....  The Falcon should be here by next Friday.  If your interested I'll keep you informed....  Thanks for the coments.
"Any society that will give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
-Ben Franklin
GenDesert View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenDesert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2009 at 01:26
OK, I had a small problem.  I ordered the Nikon Coyote special from SWFA.  The web site showed that they had it in stock.  I received an email confirming the order.  Some time later, I received another email from SWFA, I read it but it didn't sink in, as I continued to believe that the scope was  "on the way", it wasn't.  The email was in reality a notice that the scope was in fact, not in stock.  It was backordered.....  I didn't think anything about it, until I went back to the email to find the "tracking number".  I was surprised to say the least.....  Anyway, after thinking about it and not knowing when the scope would be shipped, I cancelled the order....
Now, I was without a scope.  I had been thinking about going a different way from the onset of trying to make up my mind regarding choice of a scope for the rifle...  I've wanted a FFP (front focal plane) scope for a long time, I couldn't afford a NightForce, I've spent about $900 on a scope before, but right now, that was not an option.  I've also been reading about the Falcon Menace 4-14FFP.  Pros, Cons, comments, reviews, I did a good deal of research.  I'd also been talking to my son about getting on.  I didn't know it, but in the mean time he had order the Falcon to put on a custom pistol, using a Savage target action, 17" McGowen barrel chambered in 20PPC, 11 twist, 11 degree target crown and Holland Radial Brake.   My Son is very talented and in fact has purchased "Press' " for the manufacture of 20cal bullets.  They should be delivered in about a month.  Anyway, I got of topic.
It turned out that we both had decided to order the Falcon scope,  yes I know it's not a NightForce, but for a quarter of the money I can find out if I like the M16 reticle (modified Mil-Dot) and the FFP.  So that my story and I'm sticking to it.....  lol....  The Falcon should be here by next Friday.  If your interested I'll keep you informed....  Thanks for the coments.
"Any society that will give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
-Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic