OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Test of two new scopes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2009 at 11:40
That's a good idea! I'll start gathering some....
Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2009 at 10:16
Thanks Koshkin.I bought the S2 Big Sky 3-9x42,very nice scope crystal clear and very good in low light.I compared it to my Zeiss Conquest and to my eyes the S2 Big Sky was slightly brighter in low light,could be the larger 42mm objective.By the way the lens coating works on rain...a big plus for hunting.      
Mike G View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2009 at 15:35
300 s&w got me thinking about a Zeiss 4 fixed power for 300 bucks, I never thought I could afford a Zeiss.  Anyone have one?
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2009 at 16:01
BobinNH sometimes posts here and he has one. Pretty sure he likes it as well.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2009 at 16:40
rifledude has one i know for sure.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2009 at 16:50
better yet then
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2009 at 17:28
Yes, I do have a Zeiss Conquest 4X32 w/ Z-Plex reticle, and I love it!  Great little scope!  Couldn't be happier with it!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
ALACRANESTEPARIO View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALACRANESTEPARIO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2009 at 11:57
Very interesting article.....and i've got a test in german about you are taking ....i,m going to put down :
AUSRÜSTUNG
VARIABLE ZIELFERNROHRE MIT 56-MM-OBJEKTIV UND LEUCHTABSEHEN, TEIL I
90 WILD UND HUND 19/2005

if anyone wants the full test in .pdf  I will send it . The test is about scopes with 56 mm objetive .
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2009 at 18:10
Thanks for e-mailing the test. My German in limited but I did get something from it!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALACRANESTEPARIO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2009 at 13:29
And after your test Mr . Barsness you known that the new Leupold Vx3 is similar at twilight to the Zeiss Conquest , isn't it ?????????
And at night ? What do you known it would happen in the test about brilliant ?????
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALACRANESTEPARIO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2009 at 13:33
I was wrong ,sorry , not Zeiss Conquest , Swarosky z6 is in your test . 
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2009 at 10:09
Yeah, that's been my experience so far in my own tests: The VX-3 and Conquest are very similar optically, at least to my eyes in my dim-light tests (done with a chart at night, lit by a 100-watt bulb 25 yards from the chart). Of course all human eyes differ slightly, and somebody might see it differently.
nova88 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nova88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2009 at 16:38
i agree the Sightron Big Sky isn't all people say it is. i think it's over priced for the quality but that's just my opinion
257WM_CDL-SF View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 257WM_CDL-SF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2009 at 13:26
I have a Sightron S11 Big Sky 4.5x14x42 with HHR reticle and love it.Its by far the best scope Ihave ever owned
Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2009 at 08:51
  I agree the Sightron S2 Big Sky is a fine scope.I feel that many loyal Leupold owners are stuck believing that they are the best in the business.My feeling is that Leupold has been hurt by the competition with scopes like the Sightron S2 series which offer a better value and a lifetime replacement warranty than the VXII or VXIII.I own many Leupold scopes an discovered this forum and now a very happy Sightron owner.
nksmfamjp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nksmfamjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2009 at 09:49

I think we are seeing the challenge of optics and optics testing.  For examble, John B, uses a more easily matched 3 - 9 x 40 as his standard.  The test was actually done on a 3 - 9 x 42 Sightron.  The extra 2mm should have been enough to blow away a smaller/better optical scope.  IMO, these are called cheater optics.  They fall in the high end of a class(3 - 9 x 40).  The makers probably also cheat in other ways.  Cheating in optics is not bad.  

I think we are seeing how there is a tester variable which is hard to account for also.   With mechanics, 2 testers should have similar results, but with optics, there will be much more variation.

I am not going to appologize for Sightron Optics.  They need to fix their own mess.  I do think they make a fine scope.  I think their value is in their ability to render colors.  Without being ED or some other fancy glass, they have a very bright true color rendition. . . .maybe even a slightly red or blue tint.  This is similar to Burris.  Leupold uses a coating process which results in a slight yellow tint, IME.  I do not like this, but I think it improves contrast so a darker scope will perform better on the charts.

One test of my own. . .Not scientific at all.  I call it the shopping test.  Go to the scope counter and determine how many scopes are visibly or mechanically broken!  Seriously, a scope counter has hundreds of rednecks looking these things over, cranking the knobs, dropping them, banging them on the counter, etc.  I have seem mostly broken Leupolds. . .including Mark 4's!  I think this is due to their attraction partially.  The last time I did this, I think I found a broken BSA also.  I tell the shop.  Funny thing is that they usually blow me off!  I said, I think the reticle on this Mark 4 is broken. . .The salesman told me after checking it. . .Their all like that.  I wonder if he is right!Shocked

Randall45 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randall45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2009 at 08:38
Most of us Rednecks now use the other scope brands since the introduction of cable and large sporting goods stores like Cabela's.At one time my best scope was the Leupold VariXIII and a Redfield Ultimate Illuminator.The best American scopes back when I was doing my shopping at the local gun shop.The problem with the bigger stores are they try to sell you whatever is making the most for them.The selection is good but you need to shop and ask questions.I have seen some very honest salemen give lectures to many rednecks about looking through a scope and yes it's very difficult because we rednecks are always one step ahead of you city folks.It's just how it is,we find a way to get over and we're always going to be one step ahead.Thats why I like this forum you have one very well known person who test's 2 very popular scopes and comes up with a result which stirred up a hornets nest.In the interest of fairness I think we should have a new test of two scopes given by another well known forum member to settle any doubt's.Leupold has in the past used it's mighty advertising money to influence the industry.Quick story past on at the club was a very well known outdoor celebrity was hunting somewhere in the North East with a non L brand scope on his rifle.When asked by one of the local hicks what happened to your trusted L scope he just said thats just for TV land I use whats works for me I can't see anything in low lighting condition with a L scope.I buy the best optics out there.
Trays 7940 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trays 7940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2009 at 13:42
Excellent 

This is what is great about this forum... Not trying to sell you anything, just trying to get the best for you based on experience and knowledge...

I don't shoot innocent animals, just the one's who look guilty.
Mannheim Bob View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mannheim Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2009 at 04:44
Originally posted by John Barsness John Barsness wrote:

2) There have been DEVA tests made on scopes since 1993, but as Roy pointed out they are not in English. My book publisher got the '93 tests translated just for the book, but I can't afford to have that done. Besides, any optical comparisons are pretty much out of date within a year or two, because of the rapid changes in all optics these days. That's why I wrote my book NOT as a strict ratings guide, but mostly as a guide on how to make you own optical comparisons, the reason it's still selling 10 years after being published.

Sir:

If you want the DEVA tests translated into English, please send them to me I will be happy to do so.  Or alternately if you know where I can look them up, I will do that instead.  I am happy to post what I get here to help the community.

Thanks,

Robert
Mannheim Bob View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mannheim Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2009 at 04:48
Originally posted by ALACRANESTEPARIO ALACRANESTEPARIO wrote:

Very interesting article.....and i've got a test in german about you are taking ....i,m going to put down :
AUSRÜSTUNG
VARIABLE ZIELFERNROHRE MIT 56-MM-OBJEKTIV UND LEUCHTABSEHEN, TEIL I
90 WILD UND HUND 19/2005

if anyone wants the full test in .pdf  I will send it . The test is about scopes with 56 mm objetive .

I would like a copy.

Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic