OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for rws 460 magnum .22cal??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for rws 460 magnum .22cal??
    Posted: March/02/2009 at 16:39
Recently, well within a thousand shots or so purchased an rws 460 magnum.  Love the rifle, awesome feel and very accurate.  With it I also bought a leapers accushot 3-9x50 illuminated reticle scope.  Liked it at first, liked the ill ret alot for dusky or night time w/ surefire p6 pest hunting.  But it doesn't want to keep zero very well.  The gun does have quite alot of recoil but it seems to me I shouldnt have to re-zero every 100 or so shots should I?  I guess im not so sure.  I have alot of rifle experience but this is my first serious air rifle.  You know with a rifle you dont normally shoot 1000 shots in a month and a half, and I know from reading that an air rifle has a unique forward and reverse recoil becase of the spring inside.  So there it is what do guys think, normal or time to go shopping? If so what for? 
Thanks, Ben
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
"keep smiling, it makes people wonder what your up to.
"Eagles may soar, but weasles dont get sucked into jet engines.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2009 at 17:41
I have a Webley Scott  Patriot and an RWS 350 Mag and I feel your pain.
I would check to make sure you are not moving against the scope stop. The rings will move if they are not seated against the stop. I am assuming you are using one.
Also, I have a Leapers Bug Buster that is in the fixed 6x version on my RWS. It has held up so far. But, a variable Leapers on a heavy kicker might not be doable. My Leapers will be replaced soon.
I would look at either the Leupold EFR's or the Weaver rimfire scopes. They have far better optics and will hold up. I would even go with a fixed 4x on the 460.
http://www.swfa.com/c-295-leupold-efr-riflescopes.aspx
http://www.swfa.com/c-257-weaver-classic-rimfire-scopes.aspx
I also have a 6P mounted on my Patriot and in low light I would get a standard plex, versus fine, for the reticle. It is hard enough to see the night time raiders and the heavier reticle helps. Weaver gives you more choices there.

Good luck,
Doug

haminator View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2009 at 17:46
the stock scope mount on these are supposed to be junk so I bought a compensater, weaver style and accounts for barrel droop.  Any way its got built in stops for the rings in it.  Dont know if re zero after every hundred to 150 shots is all that much.  Ill check into those thanks for the reply..
haminator View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 00:10
Also would like to keep the illuminated reticle feature.  I love it at night and dusk.
haminator View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2009 at 07:38
tahqua, have you seen those alpha bulbs for the 6p?  I have the G8 390 lumen and its bright as hell I bought the 6p led and its twice as bright as the stock one...
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2009 at 10:59
Originally posted by haminator haminator wrote:

tahqua, have you seen those alpha bulbs for the 6p?  I have the G8 390 lumen and its bright as hell I bought the 6p led and its twice as bright as the stock one...

I've seen that one is supposed to be 400 lumens. I will have to check one out. Thanks for the tip.
I also have the Classic Universal WeaponLight that works pretty good. I have a P61 120 lumens lamp in that. What I like about that light is the head is shock proofed more than the 6P. I will look at the Alpha for that, too.
Also, if the mounts and the scope are holding, re-zeroing after 150 rounds should not be needed. It would be annoying to me. With the first mounts on my Patriot, I re-zeroed every ten shots. That was very frustrating.
The Leapers mounts are holding up on the 350, so far.
I've searched around and finding illumination with a quality scope is going to cost quite a bit more. Do you want to stay in the Leapers/Barska price range? I find the illumination in my Bug Buster is useless at dark unless the light is used. I find that a standard plex along with the Surefire gets the job done out to as far as I can use a high powered springer. Forty yard head shots on coons are easily taken. That is with a Leupold 6x42 fixed power.

Edited by tahqua - March/04/2009 at 12:21
haminator View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haminator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2009 at 18:16
36 bucks I think for the bulb.  I had the p61 also but battery life is too short.  It is annoying, the mounts came with the scope, but as far as I can tell they are holding.  I re-tightened every thing a while ago and it hasnt moved lately, so we'll see.
       I've noticed the same thing as far as price so i guess i'll have to take the next price level jump at some point.  The gun was 510 and it's only gonna be as accurate as the scope on it..

Thanks for the help Tahqua!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic