OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Tripods, sun shades, lens covers, etc.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bipod

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bipod
    Posted: March/01/2009 at 14:48
What do you all look for in a bipod? Until this recent injury I have had little need or interest, but now it may be a necessity. I have always preferred prone but now I may have to do more sitting. But I hate to think I would have to bolt some bulky monstrisity to my rifle to get a steady rest. I will be buying one in the near future and hope you can narrow the field. Thanks!

How do they attach? Do you have to mount a base to every rifle or have a bipod for every rifle? This will apply to 270 bolt and semi-auto. 30-06, 300wm and 444.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2009 at 15:41
http://www.swfa.com/pc-4261-894-harris-ultralight-brm-series-s-bipod.aspx
Mounts securely up to the rifle's sling stud. I love mine, but I shoot primarily off a bench. I also have the 12"-25" Harris bipod, which can be shot from a sitting position.

Let me know via PM if you want to try one or both out and I'll send them to you to try before you buy.    Wink

Edited by cheaptrick - March/01/2009 at 15:42
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2009 at 15:45
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

http://www.swfa.com/pc-4261-894-harris-ultralight-brm-series-s-bipod.aspx
Mounts securely up to the rifle's sling stud. I love mine, but I shoot primarily off a bench. I also have the 12"-25" Harris bipod, which can be shot from a sitting position.

Let me know via PM if you want to try one or both out and I'll send them to you to try before you buy.    Wink

Thunbs Up

If one can swing it try to get both. The first is perfect for bench/sighting in, the second is excellent for hunting.

Edited by mike650 - March/01/2009 at 15:49
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2009 at 07:50
I use a HB25S. When fully collapsed, it's a bit shorter than the HB25CS, so it's easier to shoot prone, or from a bench, but when fully extended, can still be used to shoot from a sitting position too. The description shows it being the same height, but it's really 12-23" I think instead of 13.5-27.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2009 at 20:10
Originally posted by trigger29 trigger29 wrote:

I use a HB25S. When fully collapsed, it's a bit shorter than the HB25CS, so it's easier to shoot prone, or from a bench, but when fully extended, can still be used to shoot from a sitting position too. The description shows it being the same height, but it's really 12-23" I think instead of 13.5-27.

Do you think this is the same one?

I do want to be able to shoot prone when needed, but I know sitting will be the majority.
Thanks!
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2009 at 20:15
That is exactly the model I have.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2009 at 20:16
Originally posted by Sgt. D Sgt. D wrote:

Do you think this is the same one?

I do want to be able to shoot prone when needed, but I know sitting will be the majority.
Thanks!

Looks like the one I use for hunting from the pic and description. Thunbs Up

Rotates to either side for instant leveling on uneven ground. Hinged base has tension adjustment and buffer springs to eliminate tremor or looseness. They are otherwise similar to non-rotating Series.

• Extends 12" to 25"
  • Three Piece Standard Legs
  • Swivel Head

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2009 at 20:19
Hey sarge, be on your toes, I believe they make a model that has only 2 piece legs, meaning it only telescopes once. It's a bit cheaper, but if price isn't a limiting factor, the model you are looking at is the cat's meow.

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2009 at 20:34

Hey sarge, be on your toes, I believe they make a model that has only 2 piece legs, meaning it only telescopes once. It's a bit cheaper, but if price isn't a limiting factor, the model you are looking at is the cat's meow.

The one in the pic's a three piece; I agree, that's the one to get for hunting!!
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 10:28
How is it for prone? Do you have to stretch or strain to get a solid anchor for target aq? I know it depends on the person.
From under arm to elbow is 11 ins. from elbow to wrist is 10.5 ins. The rifle I am building will have an objective of between 50mm and 56mm with a heavy barrel 1.25 where the oblective will hover. Ofcourse I may find a way to modify the bipod if it is an issue, but I hope Harris has worked that out. Not having use a bipod really puts me in the dark on this one.
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 10:57
When I hit the ground, I put my non trigger hand on my bicep. This puts my wrist/forearm under the butt of the gun, and makes me very steady. It's almost like having a rear bag under it. I also use that to get my chest off the ground just a hair, taking some of my heartbeat movement out of the scope. It might not be quite as easy to shoot prone as the 6-9" model, but I made a small adjustment, and it's working out for the better, I think. With a 6" model, I could just put my fist under the stock, and use that as a rear bag, but I'm as good with the longer one now.

I get the same measurements on my arm as you do. I don't know how tall you are, but I found this model better for shooting in the sitting position than the 2" longer model. I was always aimed too high with the legs all the way extended, and would have to set the lenght with the thumb screws. With the 25" model, I just pull them all the way out, and shoot.

Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 12:30
Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear. I've seen some 11-23's and that may be what I get. Thunbs Up
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 16:19
Originally posted by Sgt. D Sgt. D wrote:

Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear. I've seen some 11-23's and that may be what I get. Thunbs Up

I have these but only use them on my coyote rig!
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2009 at 13:44
I'm pretty sure I've stated that I've never had a problem with this before, but now it appears I am going to. I just mounted my bipod on my .300 Wby, and after two range sessions the stud is getting loose. It appears as though when the gun recoils, the stud is taking a lot of abuse. The stud is just threaded into the synthetic stock.  Is there a stud that I can put in that has a nut, or something that would be more durable? I would hate to have the stud rip out, and bust up my stock. It's only been to the range a couple times, and it's wanting to chip the stock already. HELP!!

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2009 at 13:59
Trigger they do make studs in which you are asking, look up... Uncle Mikes... or look in a cblas or bss pro they have them there or your local shop.

Edited by rifle looney - March/14/2009 at 13:59
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2009 at 14:06
Thanks man. I was wanting to look, but didn't know who actually made studs. I'll look at uncle mikes.

trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2009 at 14:52
Well.......I was mistaken.....again........sorry. I screwed the stud out, and saw fine machine screw type threads. I didn't think anyone would use those type of threads for screwing into a synthetic stock, so I ripped the rifle apart and shined a flashlight in the screw hole. It appears as though the use an insert imbedded in the stock. I couldn't see the metal insert from the outside, but only with the stock taken off. I gave it a good snugging with a wrench. We'll see if it holds.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2009 at 14:54
That's a cool thing I have never seen anyone use this type before it should hold good?
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2009 at 14:59

Well.......I was mistaken.....again........sorry. I screwed the stud out, and saw fine machine screw type threads. I didn't think anyone would use those type of threads for screwing into a synthetic stock, so I ripped the rifle apart and shined a flashlight in the screw hole. It appears as though the use an insert imbedded in the stock. I couldn't see the metal insert from the outside, but only with the stock taken off. I gave it a good snugging with a wrench. We'll see if it holds.

I posted this on another thread but my brother and found the same problem with our front studs after years of using a Harris bipod. I'm using the same one as you Trigger; my brother's using the slightly longer, non-swivel style. Unfortunately the front stud on our m700's (synthetic stocks) are screwed in and not threaded. My brother replaced his last season with an Uncle Mikes threaded stud. Mine started to loosening up this past season so I'll be replacing mine shortly. I believe the synthetic stocks are usually threaded so it's less of an issue.

Edited by mike650 - March/14/2009 at 15:02
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic