OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold VX-II....What lens coating?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourinone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold VX-II....What lens coating?
    Posted: March/01/2009 at 07:12
Hi; A friend of mine went out and bought a new gun and got talked into a VX-II and don't know anything about it other than "it's a Leupold" I would like to tell him the difference between the scopes with the Fully multicoated lens & multicoated lens. My problem is I can't figure out what Leupold uses on these VX-II now days. All I can find is, they say "multicoat 4" lens. So I don't know which it is....Fully multicoated?? or Multicoated? Thanks in advance for your help.
Can you see me now...
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2009 at 09:03
The lenses in the VX-II's are fully multi-coated with Leupold's Multi-Coat 4.
fourinone View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourinone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2009 at 15:09
Thanks for that update on the VX-II. I think the old Vari X II use to be just multi-coated if I remember correctly??
Can you see me now...
Shenko View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2009 at 16:43
From the Leupold website:

Though the Rifleman line of scopes uses a different maintube (for aesthetic reasons), it is optically the same as the Vari-X II (discontinued for 2001). The adjustments are exactly the same as the Vari-X II (½-MOA friction) as are the lenses and coatings. All lenses, internal and external, are coated with magnesium fluoride. Basically, the Rifleman is a newer-looking matte finish version of the Vari-X II

fourinone View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourinone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2009 at 18:13

So the rifleman specs. it as "fully coated" and now the VX-II is fully multi-coated. That is a big improvement which I feel was the least they could do for the amount of money they sell for. So at least the scope is a good scope, maybe not the bang for the buck that a more educated decision would have made. Thanks for the responce.

Can you see me now...
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2009 at 18:21
The Rifleman scope is not the same as the Vari XII.The VXI optics would compare to the older Vari XII.Nothing wrong with the VXII compares to a Nikon Buckmaster. 
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2009 at 18:57
There is a lot of confusion regarding the various Leupold scopes. Actually, the optics in the Rifleman and VX-1 compare some of the older Vari-X II's, depending on the era. After all, the Vari-X II goes way back. In fact I have an old 3-9x Vari-X II in my collection that doesn't have a constantly centered reticle!

The VX-II's have the same basic glass (Multi-Coat 4) as the Vari-X III's had from the early 1990's to about 5 years ago, when all the Leupold scopes went through an optical upgrade, and the Rifleman and VX-I were introduced. Just last week I did some optical tests with a new VX-II 3-9x and it did VERY well.
fourinone View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourinone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2009 at 05:07
I hear you on the Leupold changes over the years. It makes it hard for someone who tries to figure it all out, not less someone like me who use to keep up with it and try and look back now. I'm not sure what their "Multi-Coat 4" is, but I assume it to be Fully Multi-Coated?
Can you see me now...
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2009 at 09:31

That's right. It was the first multi-coating they developed for the Vari-X III's almost 20 years ago. Before that all Leupold scope lenses were single-coated, at most. At the time Multicoat 4 was independently tested and found to be one of the brighter multi-coatings available. It is still one of the better ones.

Leupold uses at least a couple of other multi-coatings now, one for their more expensive scopes, and what their catalog calls their "standard multi-coating" for the VX-1's. The Rifleman scopes are the only Leupolds that are single-coated now.
fourinone View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourinone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2009 at 14:18
Thanks for the updated info.
Can you see me now...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic