OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Acog confusion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrokenArrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Acog confusion
    Posted: February/28/2009 at 16:55

Hey guys I have decided that I am taking the plunge and going with an acog, but am confused as to which one I want. I need at least 3.5x and dont want more than 4x. I will be using it for 3 gun events and probably at a range no further than 250 yards. I am really confused as to which model is the best for me. If you need to know it will be mounted on a flattop ar 15 with 16" barrel. One last question: Do I have to get a flip up front sight?

Thanks

RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2009 at 18:48
 Welcome to the forum, Peter!

I'm afraid I can't help you, but hang around a little, and someone will!
 I'm a lttle curious about them myself, as I've never used one, and there are about eleventy- five models that all seem more or less the same, and Chris, (our host) just announced a bunch more new models yesterday or the day before!
BrokenArrow View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrokenArrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2009 at 22:23
wow stop the madness lol
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2009 at 22:26
JUST SLOW. THEY WILL COME TONIGHT OR TOMORROW.  Wink
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2009 at 22:27
Welcome to the OT BA.  I can't help either.  I just wanted to ask about your screen name!  Do you know what it means?   
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2009 at 22:30

Yeah, they often come out at night!  (Shudders.)

Edited to add:
Stellbenzs' post wasn't  there when I posted. It didn't really take me three minutes to type one stupid sentence, did it?    Bucky 

Edited by RONK - February/28/2009 at 22:35
BrokenArrow View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrokenArrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2009 at 12:41
If I remember correctly it was used in vietnam when our forces were being over run and there needed to be an air strike asap. Is that correct?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2009 at 14:43
I am not entirely sure why you are set on either the 3.5x or 4x.  Personally, I think that 3x30 is the best of the ACOGs due to much more flexible eyerelief (helps with target acquisition).

Whichever model you choose, I suggest you take a close look at the horseshoe/dot reticle.  I find that arrangement to be very fast for me.

ILya
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2009 at 17:00

Ok you have my attention now. I have a couple of them a TAO1B the red full illumination 4x and I would rather have one with the fiber optic,  and a TA442 the amber triangle 1.5x  which ROCKS

TA442 Trijicon 1.5x16 Compact Acog Rifle Scope                                                                                Trijicon 1.5x16 Compact Acog Rifle Scope
  • Amber Triangle BAC
  • Free Lens Cleaning Pen w/ Purchase
SWFA: $924.95
More Info... Buy Now

This has a 39ft wide field of view at 100 yds and 2.4 inches of eye relief.  When selecting your model these figures are important because if you need to use the gun room to room you need wide field of view to get on target.
If I was going to buy a 4x one I would buy this:
TA31RCOM4 Trijicon 4x32 Acog Rifle Scope                                                                                          Trijicon 4x32 Acog Rifle Scope
  • Chevron w/ TRS
  • Free Lens Cleaning Pen w/ Purchase
  • Free Pouch w/ Purchase
  • Free Flat Top Adapter w/ Purchase
  • Designed for the M16M4 Weapon System
SWFA: $1,314.95
More Info... Buy Now
I find the Chevron and the Triangle to be very accurate as you work off the tip of the point at distance and use the whole thing up close.  The kill flash on this looks like you could put flip up lens caps on it which is the pain in the butt with the other trijicon models.   My 1.5x is zeroed at 300 yds and if you hold at 6 o'clock (pumpkin on a post) at 200 it is dead center at 200 so for me the 1.5x is the ticket from 0 to 300 yds and past that I want a .308 bolt gun.   As for color choice looking into a streetlight at night will wash out the yellow. I like red and will go that route next trijicon but the green I am told looks brighter than the other colors. The yellow really does stand out or a running deer thought Cool

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - March/02/2009 at 17:03

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic