OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Want to start Reloading

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loaded4bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Want to start Reloading
    Posted: February/28/2009 at 13:50

I've been putting it off for so many years and now I want to start reloading.  Some recommend a progressive press like a Dillon but maybe I should just start with good quality single stage RCBS equipment.  Is it best to start with a kit or should I purchase everything individually?  There's alot of questions to ask so I might as well start with the basics, equipment, books etc. 

thanks

rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2009 at 14:00
As a beginner I would skip the Dillon and go with the RCBS in kit form ,add or change as you see fit after some practice and reading A LOT,there are a couple things that don't come in the kit you will need.you can get these separately from the manufacture of your choice, you don't need high dollar stuff but don't go cheap. get at least two reloading manuals. the first should be, LYMAN reloading basics. and then the one that manufactures the bullets you will be using or one that lists multiple. 

Edited by rifle looney - February/28/2009 at 14:31
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2009 at 14:20
Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

As a beginner I would skip the Dillon and go with the RCBS in kit form ,add or change as you see fit after some practice and reading A LOT,there are a couple things that don't come in the kit you will need.you can get these separtly from the manufacture of your choice you dont need high dollar stuff but dont go cheap. get at least two reloading manuals. the first should be, LYMAN reloading basics. and then the one that manufactures the bullets you will be using or one that lists multiple. 

Thunbs Up
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2009 at 14:36
Agree with Looney.

The RCBS Special-5 Kit or the Rockchuker Kit, if you prefer.
I've had the Special-5 for several years and it has worked wonderfully......YES, even on big magnum cases. I've loaded several rounds for .300 RUM and a gajillion .300 Win Mag rounds.

RCBS customer service is ridiculously generous too boot.

(Let me know if you need me to custom build you a mobile reloading bench.) Peeker  
J/K  
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2009 at 14:49
Lee has some great reloading gear and dies.  You can even buy one of their little hand reloading kits for less than $20. 

I wouldn't start with a progressive press until you've reloaded for a while and fully understand the process. 

When you get a press, you will be happier if you get a 4-station unit (3-station minimum).  I haven't tried Lee's Classic 4-hole turret press, but it would be interesting to hear from others who have.  

Edited by Longhunter - February/28/2009 at 14:50
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2009 at 15:06
RCBS kit ala Rockchucker. If you have a range by your house with a clubhouse, go there and hangout to watch some of the boys reload. Some of the tips you will get here are much easier to understand if you see them in actual practice.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2009 at 16:17
What are you going to be reloading? If rifle bullets for hunting, buy a single stage press, if reloading for hand gun, go progressive.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2009 at 16:29
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

What are you going to be reloading? If rifle bullets for hunting, buy a single stage press, if reloading for hand gun, go progressive.

+1
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2009 at 16:47
Just remember to keep detailed notes on everything you do. You can't imagine the time and money you can waste if you don't. I know these things.Big Smile

I agree with the Rockchucker kit, unless you are doing high volume pistol.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2009 at 17:15

I agree with Trigger, don't skimp on the press or any of the related reloading accessories, you'll just end up replacing them.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
loaded4bear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loaded4bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2009 at 21:26
Good info guys, thanks.  I will be reloading rifle and pistol but I suspect that once I start loading, my range time will increase dramatically.

Over that past 20 years or so, I saved enough brass to keep me going for quite a long time, but this brings up a few questions.  How many times can a case be reloaded safely?  Are visual signs of too much wear the only way to tell?  Are there better qualities of brass to use?

The other question is, how does one determine the amount of depth to seat a bullet?  Is this data supplied which each load?

Roy, if you remember I belong to Cherry Ridge too.  I haven't been to the club house since orientation last summer,  but do guys reload there? 
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2009 at 00:02
I have the rockchucker supreme kit.  Great way to start out.  I just wish they had inlcude a powder trickle with it.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2009 at 13:22
Many of the questions you seek will be explained in a good reloading manual.  If your looking for a inexpensive "do all" manual, try the Lee reloading manual II, it can be found for under $15.00.
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2009 at 15:37
+1
loaded4bear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loaded4bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2009 at 07:44
Thanks everyone.  I just ordered the Rock Chucker supreme master kit from Midsouth for $279 plus a few extra manuals to start. 
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2009 at 08:02
Originally posted by loaded4bear loaded4bear wrote:

Thanks everyone.  I just ordered the Rock Chucker supreme master kit from Midsouth for $279 plus a few extra manuals to start. 

Good call! Excellent
gun74 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2009 at 10:10
I  started reloading with a Redding single stage press,used it for a year and then a relative passed away and I was given his stuff and he had a Lyman turret press and I love it I can put on three different die sets and don't have to fool around removing dies. The seating depth will vary from rifle to rifle as well as bullet weigth reloading manuals will tell you on how to determine the seating depth for your rifle
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2009 at 10:56
I started with a progressive and love it for handgun and bulk .223.  I could not imagine loading that stuff on a single stage.  It would take forever and back again to make enough handgun ammo to shoot.

I have a Hornday progressive and Hornady single stage.  They are awesome for fast die changes.  none of this twist and twist crap, they have a bushing and you just pop them on and off.  Very nice that way.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 21:06
ExcellentExcellentExcellent

Many of the questions you seek will be explained in a good reloading manual.  If your looking for a inexpensive "do all" manual, try the Lee reloading manual II, it can be found for under $15.00.
  I'm new also about 5 years now I use Lee dies myself. My next purchase I am going to upgrade to digital scale and dispenser..READ THE MANUAL
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2009 at 21:40

This is probably the correct answer as your powder charge must be exact with rifles and you have to lube the cases with rifles where pistols will work with carbide dies so no lube is needed with carbide dies.

This is rather an awkward time to jump into it.  One item that I find incredibly useful is the electronic powder thrower with built in electronic scale.  I have never had a progressive press just a  RCBS  Rockchucker.  I believe the Horniday progressive press to be the newest design and I have heard good things about it but most people use Dillon which have been around forever.  I really like the Horniday brand lube that comes in a small butter dish looking plastic container.  I would probably be inclined to buy things individually. I would probably get the electric RCBS powder thrower electric scale and a RCBS Rockchucker or the Redding press where the top plate allows about 6 dies which would be ideal for two calibers once the die was set to correct depth it would never be taken out. Since I load more calibers I have the single hole rockchucker. Save up some plastic half gallon ice cream containers and use them to transfer brass from one stage to the next.  You will eventually want a brass polisher and case trimmer but I went better than 20 yrs without those.  You do want a couple of small hand tools the de-burring tool that is used inside and out on the neck of rifle brass and the primer pocket uniformer and flash hole uniformer.  Get one of the hand held primer devices that you squeeze the grip.  I also like to have on hand a Lee brand primer removing tool which is about $4.50 and works well to hammer out .223 military primers.  A small acrilic hammer and a pair of channel locks and set of hex wrinches.   I know there is a huge difference in price between a manual scale plus a manual powder thrower & powder trickler  vs the electronic model but the difference in frustration level is worth the cost.   I will say that if you load rifles buy extra depriming rods because sooner or later you will bend one.    This should be a good list add a Horniday reloading book or find the caliber specific books. Come back and ask us any questions you need to know and we will walk you through it.  Do tell us what calibers you need to load though as there are some ins and outs to certain calibers.  

PS:  if I was only loading pistol with a progressive I would probably not buy the electronic powder thrower electric scale because you wont be measuring every charge of powder like you would with a rifle so the cheaper manual scale would get you set up.  Just allow about three tenths under max for minor variation from the thrower.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - March/06/2009 at 21:45

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic