OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

which one

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: which one
    Posted: February/28/2009 at 09:57
Which scope and why out of the following three: (1)Trijicon 2.5-10x56 illuminated red triangle;(2)IOR 4-14x50 illuminated #4;(3)Bushnell 2.5-16x42 DOA reticle.  I am leaning towards either IOR or Bushnell.  Bushy only has 2.6 Exit Pupil at 16 power.  I don't know how good or bad that is, but I always thought the higher the number the better.  Also anyone heard or read anything on this doa reticle?  Scope will be going on Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS in 300 Win Mag.  It will be used for Whitails in PA and also for Mule Deer and Elk out West.Whacko
The only good day was yesterday!
Idaho Scot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idaho Scot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2009 at 10:21

That is a big range in price.  Is the Bushnell the 3200 series?  If I remember correctly the 4200'sdon't come with the DOA reticle yet.

Typical of Bushnell there is very little detailed info on their scopes or reticles.  I love their elite series of scopes but have always been frustrated with how little info they give on specs, reticle subtensions, etc. 

The DOA reticle is etched and is supposed to help measure distance to target by using the standard width between a mule deer bucks ears, 24 inches or a white tail deer of 17 inches.  So you would find the post that closest fits the width and then you would know the approximate distance.  I guess it could also be used to calculate the width of a rack as well which could be a nice plus. 

The difficulty I see is that you would need to have a head on or facing away view to be able to see the full width of a deer’s ears in order to determine distance.  That isn’t always an easy task.  Still the multiple reticle posts by themselves if you want a nice BDC style reticle.

If you hunt any close quarters the 2.5 power on the low end will be a significant advantage over the 4X.  Both are doable though.  I also prefer a smaller objective on my hiking style guns to eliminate as much weight as possible and reduce the size of the bell.  It is my experience that large scopes tend to get beat up more when they are in tough hunting conditions.  Depending on the style of hunting you do that may or may not be important to you. 

bulldog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2009 at 11:41
Idaho Scot.  Thanks for the reply.  The Bushy is a Elite 6500 Series.  Any thoughts on Leupold Boone and Crockett in VX-3L?
The only good day was yesterday!
Idaho Scot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idaho Scot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2009 at 13:21

I didn't realize Bushnell had added that reticle to the 6500 as it wasn't on their website, but then again, why should that surprise me!  hehe

I have recently looked very hard at the 6500 in the configuration you mentioned.  I really like the scope.  I don't know what your requirements are but it has a lot for the money in my mind.  If the BDC style reticle and target style turrets aren't necessary I would also suggest looking at the 4200(they have mildot but no other multipoint reticles if I remember right.  It is a rock solid scope and is rated very high in every category I care about. 

I should probably point out that I am very much a bang for my buck kind of guy.  I don't scrimp if I need to pay more to get what I want but I also don't spend more for little or no real gain.  Paying 50-100% more for a negligible increase in glass quality will add a couple more minutes of good light in the mornings or evenings.  At least for me and my eyes it is seldom worth the extra costs.  Because of this, and the style of hunting I do, excellent glass is not at the top of the list like most guys here. Matter of fact it is very likely about last on my list.  The way I see it there are is a good list of mid priced scopes that have plenty good enough glass to handle anything I will throw at it so premium optics seldom find their way to me safe.

I like the B&C reticle.  It is simple but seems like it would do fine out further than most can shoot.  IMO, simple in a hunting reticle is good for most guys unless they spend major time behind the trigger.  Upper end Leupold's are great scopes IMO, but they are pricey too and for that reason I don't have many.  IMO there is little the Leupold offers that the 4200 or 6500, or even the 3200 in a lot of case can't do.  Again depends on what you are looking for in a scope but for a basic, tough, durable, repeatable scope the Bushy's are tough to beat.  And they rate high on my bang for the buck list!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic