OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Stokes DLS 10x42

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Stokes DLS 10x42
    Posted: February/27/2009 at 22:58
Has anyone looked thru these optics? They are listed as birding binoculars but seems like they would be fine for hunting. How do they compare with the viper or razors?
Redeye171 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redeye171 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2009 at 08:35
I have been wondering about the 8 x 42 DLS as well.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2009 at 13:11
The image of the DLS is pretty much like the Razor.  The DLS was envisioned as a birding binocular, and the primary difference in a primary birding glass will be a very fast focus, one turn or less in wheel travel.  This is what the Stokes has, a very quick focus.  Birders like the quick focus to follow quick little birds, hunters tend to prefer the slower rate to enable a more precise focus at distance.

I have both types I hunt with, and both work.  Focus rate is not something I'm real sensitive to.  But it can be a real sticking point for some people.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Tero View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 07:40
The 8x would be of interest to me, the 10x I prefer the slower focus. And there I do more focusing.
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2009 at 21:57
I had a pair of the 10x42 DLS briefly and really liked them. The only reason I returned them was because I needed the bucks for a Swaro rangefinder. I felt they were very close to the Razors, esp. for the price I paid, and can readily recommend them. The only thing I noticed optically was some slight blue fringing but it wasn't bad and anything I've looked through that was clearer cost at least 80% more.
kicker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2009 at 09:36
I am having a hard time deciding between the stokes and the zen-ray ed.
Flintlock1776 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flintlock1776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2009 at 20:21
I have the Vortex 10x42 Diamondback. AWESOME! Made in USA as well. I used the Bino Starp and I can't imagine using any bino without that on too. I also bought the Vortex Binoc-Loc™ that keeps my bino hinged at just the right angle set for my eyes. Clarity of this bino is awesome. I found a seller over on Archery Talk that beat MSRP big time. I have Leupold on my rifles and Muzzle Loader but last year Vortex got into Rifle Scopes. I would check them out. If you want to know the guy I bought them from just send me a PM (he ain't related to me; I don't work for him; I don't get a commission. He's just a good guy that did good by me).

Marines

Remember the 343

George Johnson, Ladder 157 / Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157 / Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2 / Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
spf2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spf2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 23:00
Originally posted by Flintlock1776 Flintlock1776 wrote:

I have the Vortex 10x42 Diamondback. AWESOME! Made in USA as well.

If the sales persons told you that Vortex Diamondback is made in USA, shame on them. None of the Vortext line is made in USA. Diamondback is made in China, which is fine by me. I have used it briefly. Good optical quality, definitely do not feel cheap in hands.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 23:50
Originally posted by spf2 spf2 wrote:

Originally posted by Flintlock1776 Flintlock1776 wrote:

I have the Vortex 10x42 Diamondback. AWESOME! Made in USA as well.

If the sales persons told you that Vortex Diamondback is made in USA, shame on them. None of the Vortext line is made in USA. Diamondback is made in China, which is fine by me. I have used it briefly. Good optical quality, definitely do not feel cheap in hands.

Sorry Flintlock1776, but spf2 is right.  Whoever told you the Diamondback is "made in USA" was either lying or just doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
kicker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2009 at 12:00
I am having a hard time deciding between the stokes and the zen-ray ed. Any recommendations?
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2009 at 16:13
That will probably come down to ergonomics and the focus rate.  The ZEN ED feels a bit like and is the same size as the Razor, but with a bit less space between the hinge.  A two finger space in the ZEN and a three in the Razor.  The Stokes is smaller than either the Razor or the ZEN ED.  The Stokes has a much, much faster focus rate than the ZEN, it turns through one turn of the focus wheel, while the ZEN through 2+.  The Stokes wheel is easier to turn too.  As far as I am concerned the ZEN has a better image, not a lot, but the difference can be seen.  The ZEN is easier to precision focus on distant objects than the Stokes, both because there is more focus wheel travel and because the movement is slower.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

spf2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spf2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2009 at 11:21

done! just placed an order for a 10x43 ZEN. Hopefully, I will have it before I leave for my vacation in the middle of next week.

John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2009 at 21:45

I have tested a lot of Vortex optics and in general the quality is right at the top of the price-point, no matter what the model.

I don't believe there are any companies making binoculars in the U.S. anymore--but there are several U.S. companies that essentially design (and guarantee) binoculars made elsewhere that are very, very good. Vortex is one.

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2009 at 08:34
Originally posted by John Barsness John Barsness wrote:

...I don't believe there are any companies making binoculars in the U.S. anymore...
Leupold's Golden Ring products are still "assembled" in the USA. 

This is still a definite step down from the "made in USA" label, but it is at least something.
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
CROWSNIPER View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CROWSNIPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 08:13
Has anybody tested the vortex warranty to see if it's as good as they claim?
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 10:26
The Vortex warranty is as good as they claim.  Strangely enough, as much as I like their products, every single Vortex binocular I have had has needed some warranty service and has had to go back.  That is two Vipers and two Fury's.  I figure the best way is to have a good service and a product you don't have to use it on all of the time.  But the Vortex warranty and service is just as they claim it is.  The problems have been with diopter adjustments and collimation problems.
Steve

skilly1979 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skilly1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 16:31
kalmath, what are the problems, can you explain what the problems are in simple dumb people terms cause im not the sharpest tool in the shed
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 16:36
In simple dumb terms, the diopter focus mechanism on one Fury and one Viper quit working.  The Fury the movement of the diopter caused no corresponding movement in the lens, and in the Viper, the lock ring stayed locked.  On one Fury and another Viper, the binoculars were found to be out of alingment.  This last could easily be usage caused.  The company fixed them good as new, no questions asked.  Do not take this as a jab at Vortex, I think they are a great company and I have and will continue to have Vortex products.

Edited by Klamath - March/31/2009 at 16:38
Steve

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic