OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Precision handloading question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2009 at 18:00
The biggest factor in accuracy is getting the bullets seated concentrically with the case body. This depends on several factors, but is almost impossible with case necks that vary in thickness by much more than .001 inch. If you are serious you need some sort of concentricity tool like the RCBS Casemaster, which measures both neck thickness and bullet concentricity, or a Sinclair concentricty tool and a very accuraste caliper for measuring neck thickness.

Most cases are close enough in weight that it doesn't make all that much difference. Same with primer pockets. In fact too many handloaders obsess over those sorts of things when the really import part of the case is the neck, because it is what steers the bullet.

Then it's mostly finding a combination of bullet, powder and primer that results in BOTH small groups and consistent muzzle velocities.
Texas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2009 at 20:42
What JB said is on point.  Get tooled up to measure case neck runout after sizing, then get tooled up to size cases straight.  Next is to get the bullets seated with as little runout as possible.  These two pieces go hand in hand, and together with finding exactly how far off the lands your rifle likes a given bullet to be and consistently seating the ogive at that depth can or will shrink your groups nicely.  There was a series of articles in Precision Shooting about 15 years ago by Creighton Audette that really explained why runout in the case neck and/or bullet is very detrimental to accuracy.  I will try to find.  I have found the Redding bushing dies and competition bullet seater die to make the straightest loads for me.  They are expensive dies, but they work!  I like the competition neck sizer, body die and competition seater set Redding packages.  Sinclair has all the measuring equipment you need, but look out!! It will make you question your whole reloading process,which can get expensive... Regards, Texas
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic